Downloading or Streaming audio from online

stump4545

Downloading or Streaming audio from online
« on: 19 Mar 2015, 08:21 pm »
Right now I buy used Cd's and then rip them uncompressed to my mac mini.

Is there a better way to just buy and download uncompressed loseless audio files from an online source or service?

Is there a website online where one can buy a subscription to audiophile quality streaming audio?

thanks a lot.

srb

Re: Downloading or Streaming audio from online
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2015, 09:23 pm »
You can buy and download lossless tracks or albums from websites such as HDTracks, Pono and others, although if you're only looking for CD quality (not Hi-Res) you can usually save a few dollars buying used CDs on Amazon or elsewhere and ripping but obviously not as convenient as downloading.

You can stream lossless CD quality on a subscription basis from Tidal for ~ $20/month.

Tidal, The 1400KB/sec streaming service (Audiocircle topic)

Steve

stump4545

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2015, 09:29 pm »
is buying and downloading tracks from  HDTracks or Pono not as good sound quality as ripping a CD into my HD?

thank you

srb

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2015, 09:40 pm »
is buying and downloading tracks from HDTracks or Pono not as good sound quality as ripping a CD into my HD?

They're all lossless.  If you buy 16/44.1 tracks they will be exactly the same sound quality as CDs.  If you opt for higher resolution versions of the files they will better than CD quality (and more expensive).

Whether you hear a difference will depend on your system, your ears and the files themselves.  A lot of the time better sound quality is realized from a better remastering process as much or more than the increased resolution of the files themselves.

Steve

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2015, 10:44 pm »
I have tried MOG (streaming audio) before it was bought by Beats, than again bought by Apple. I have a subscription to Spotify now and I also have been listening to Tidal.

There are many factors, which will determine, the quality of the sound you might get. Some factors are independent, and others are systemic, or rather they are accumulative.

Having the right gear, should make a difference with handling different quality files. You'll want a quality DAC that can convert the 16/44.1 tracks or higher. You'll want a streaming device that is wide open for the files. I have found that Tidal will drop out, from time to time. Maybe it is the wifi connection, since that is how I get the files at home. But Spotify does not drop out as often at all. I know Sonos makes a device called the Connect. That would be a great start, for a HQ streaming gateway.

So there are a few things that can.... interrupt and affect the SQ of your music. Just food for thought.

pegleg85

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2015, 07:45 pm »
I have both Tidal and Spotify.  The hifi quality streaming in Tidal is much better than Spotify, but Spotify still has a better catalog and better curated playlists.  But really I need to dump one at some point.

Also I found a web-based app which exported my Spotify playlists to Tidal.  I noticed about 90% of Spotify songs were not on Tidal.