I have ordered a Pioneer PLX-1000 direct drive turntable.....

Minn Mark

Thanks for the comprehensive review Wayner !

Mark

Quiet Earth

I'm kind of currious why you didn't set the table up to the alignment gauge provided with the turntable, and then listen to a record based on that. That's probably what 99% of their customers would do.

(Did they not provide an alignment gauge?)

Wayner

Because it's a Stevenson alignment, that went out with the ice age. (Stevenson DIN).

That alignment puts huge tracking error at the front of the record. Baerwald (Lofgren A) and Lofgren B (my favorite) have the lowest overall tracking error thru the playing band.

Wayner

Quiet Earth

Maybe just for fun you should set it up with the gauge that they provided, and then play a few records.

Wayner

The table is gone. Why would I want to align my table to an inferior alignment?

Quiet Earth

Because you might learn something about the hobby you love, and about yourself as well.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I too would have tried the Manufacturer's alignment.  It's a reference point.  Buyers without protractors would be on that alignment.  So setting it up differently is a mod requiring a different protractor.  I am not saying which is better or worse.  I just would set up stock to have a starting reference point.

Gzerro

Jeez guys, give him a break. He went through a lot of trouble and posted a very nice review.

Thank you for your effort Wayner!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Jeez guys, give him a break. He went through a lot of trouble and posted a very nice review.

Thank you for your effort Wayner!

Thanks Wayner for the review.  :thumb:  I should have said that first.    :oops:

I am not saying you did anything wrong.  I am just saying I would have tried what the manufacturer spells out as a reference point for my evaluation.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
So, is this turntable a reasonable purchase?

Wayner

I am extremely familiar with all of the alignments, having designed my own protractor for all 3 alignments. I know what their tracking error curves look like. I would never put any turntable that I own in a Stevenson alignment. No turntable designed today should be designed around a Stevenson alignment. It's like designing a modern day car engine with a carburetor.

Any thoughtful engineer would have made the slots long enough to put all 3 alignment possibilities into the table's design.

Wayner

Wayner

So, is this turntable a reasonable purchase?

$700.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
I mean, would buying it be good, bad, or in the middle?

Good = buy it
Bad = don't buy it
Middle = it has its pros-n-cons, not a total waste

a.wayne

Question, 

Why this table over others in the 1K range ........ ?

Wayner

I mean, would buying it be good, bad, or in the middle?

Good = buy it
Bad = don't buy it
Middle = it has its pros-n-cons, not a total waste

I sent it back.

Wayner

Question, 

Why this table over others in the 1K range ........ ?

Because it was a DD table and touted to be a Technics SL1200MKII clone, which it is not......

What table in the 1K range would be appealing? (I would not be interested in any Rega or Project).

a.wayne

AR, Thorens, LP12 .... IMO, Much better than any technics unless you plan on scratching and need DD ...:)

Wayner

AR, Thorens, LP12 .... IMO, Much better than any technics unless you plan on scratching and need DD ...:)

Did you ever own a Technics SL1200MKII? If not, you have no idea. And then, why would I want a $1500 table?

Did you understand the purpose of this review? Maybe you should read the entire thread.......

a.wayne

Yes i have owned a 1200 more than one to be accurate , you dont have to buy a $1400 table it was an example,  many are  much cheaper ..

have you tried any of the ones  recommended ...?