What Would YOU Do!?

Chazro

What Would YOU Do!?
« on: 9 Feb 2015, 10:02 pm »
I'm just curious....I just came into a stack of illegally recorded flicks. Begs the question, if I didn't do the recording, am I wrong to watch the discs? Obviously, I say no. Especially as they were a gift from a friend. So I didn't do the recording (the crime), AND I got them for free!! Check out this list!:

Inherent Vice
Horns
Transformers-Age Of Extinction
St. Vincent
Birdman
Guardians Of The Galaxy
The Giver
The Judge
Nightcrawler
American Sniper
Everly
The Imitation Game
Once Upon A Time In Queens
Interstellar
The Gambler
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Fury
The Equalizer
Jersey Boys

What a score!!! And these weren't recorded by some guy in a theater using his phone, the majority are in High-def, I guess they were burned from review discs or something as little banners pop up from time to time. AND the best part is the dude told me to make a list of what I'd like to see!! I know it's illegal and wrong, I know......my list is close to 2 pages long at this point!!!;)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: What Would YOU Do!?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2015, 10:08 pm »
Hmm......Let's see.....now you are a 'fence'. I do believe fences get arrested for possession of stolen goods.

Hmm....this is a PUBLIC forum ....hmmm.......Uh, IDK.....What do you think?

Hope this helps.....

sfox7076

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2015, 10:11 pm »
It's called copyright infringement.  It's what got people in hot water with Napster...

srb

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2015, 10:24 pm »
It's called copyright infringement.  It's what got people in hot water with Napster...

I would take the stack down to the local police department and throw yourself upon the mercy of the court.  And better call Saul.

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2015, 10:57 pm »
I would take them, watch them , and not share this information with the public.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2015, 11:03 pm »
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2015, 12:12 am by Bob2 »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2015, 01:43 am »
I have a friend who is a movie critic. He writes reviews. I sometimes get a chance to watch a movie with him, before it comes out.
Not sure what I would do in your situation.  It's a risk, for sure.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2015, 02:07 am »
I would not tell my super-cool friend that I made a public forum post that specifies the super-cool gift.

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2015, 04:34 am »
Given the time of year they are probably burned from discs distributed to members of the academy for Oscar consideration. This is common for copies to float around the entertainment industry.

but u are an absolute idiot for posting about it.

And a dinner and a rose is a gift not fricking copies of the giver...

jazzcourier

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2015, 05:45 am »
Yep,those are called "screeners" and just about every warm body in the entertainment industry gets them.They get passed around,loaned,gifted,traded,you name it....BUT...They are all encoded with the source of the original recipient and can be traced back, so not a good idea to try to sell them.Copy them,watch them,whatever.........

Chazro

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2015, 05:57 am »
Whoa....I'm an absolute idiot now?!  I'll refrain from posting all the words that came to mind about you.  So easy to talk shit from the safety of yr computer though, isn't it?  Seems like I'm receiving a wrist slapping from most of you.  So let me get this straight, if you were given these discs, none of you would watch them?  Hyeah right! :icon_twisted:

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2015, 06:27 am »
First, you ask "what would YOU do?"

Then you say...  "I just came into a stack of illegally recorded flicks." Begs the question, if I didn't do the recording, am I wrong to watch the discs? Obviously, I say no. Especially as they were a gift from a friend. So I didn't do the recording (the crime), AND I got them for free!!

"I know it's illegal and wrong, I know..."

And you post this on a public forum - and then you get upset when you don't get the positive response that you expected.

Yeah, I would say that your intelligence level isn't very high.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2015, 06:35 am »
What would "I" do?  I'd ask what Jesus would do and follow that.  But then I realized that there weren't any bluray players around 2000 years ago, so f' it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2015, 07:42 am »
So what if your friend steals a car and gives it to you as a gift?  :scratch:

And what if the owner of the car finds you with his car?  :o

What would matter more to the owner... who stole the car or who is in possession of the car?  :whip:

And why are you curious as to what anyone else would do in your situation?  :wtf:

The bottom line is YOU are in cahoots with your dirt bag criminal friend because according to you... "the best part is the dude told me to make a list of what I'd like to see!" So you made a wish list, almost two pages long, of other movies you want your dirt bag criminal friend to steal for you ...despite the fact that you know it's illegal and wrong.  :shake:

apollophono

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2015, 10:00 am »
I'm with Windchaser on this one.  I don't buy or accept stolen items. 
If those were purchased personal copies and had made copies  for
you then I would say OK.  Fair Use etc.  If he was selling them to
you then, even if he had purchased the movies, that would still be
wrong too.  Awkward situation, but you may have to tell him no
thanks.   :nono:

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2015, 04:19 pm »
Whoa....I'm an absolute idiot now?!  I'll refrain from posting all the words that came to mind about you.  So easy to talk shit from the safety of yr computer though, isn't it?  Seems like I'm receiving a wrist slapping from most of you.  So let me get this straight, if you were given these discs, none of you would watch them?  Hyeah right! :icon_twisted:

This isn't a torrent site. You seem not to be getting the picture (so to speak).

There are people who read threads like these who would have no problem ratting you out in a heartbeat.

*Scotty*

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2015, 04:52 pm »
I think the point that people here are trying to make about your post is that it never should have been made in the first place. This is why they are questioning your mental competence.
What anyone here would do is irrelevant and immaterial, what you should have done is keep your figurative mouth shut and let your conscience be your guide.
Scotty

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2015, 05:13 pm »
Chazro -Try to imagine that someone for some reason just by chance happens to read your confession. Then suppose they report you to the movie police. You let your conscience be your guide and by making the choice to consume illegally and brag about it publicly, you expose yourself to prosecution. But don't worry about it too much. There will be a deal offered to you if you give up your friend. And from what we have observed in this thread about your personal integrity, I think your friend should be very worried about being ratted out.
Now, whether or not you choose to exploit your friend's dishonesty is strictly between you and your belief system, if you keep it to yourself. Blabbing it publicly and exposing yourself to whatever incidental repercussions may result seems idiotic. I expect that is why someone earlier called you an idiot. Don't take it personally. Surely they would say that about anyone else who was as reckless.

Chazro

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2015, 05:46 pm »
....and now I'm a dirtbag with questionable personal integrity.  Alrighty than.  I seem to have ruffled a few of your feathers.  This wasn't my intent.  I'm out!

jazzcourier

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2015, 07:33 pm »
Poor Chazro....tried in the court of AUDIO CIRCLE...and sentenced to watch..."Jersey Boys"....twice...ouch!