300B tube fail

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: 300B tube fail
« Reply #20 on: 12 Feb 2015, 10:21 pm »
From time to time appears here in AC Sophia stuff w/prob, this is amazing.
The Sophia tech staff know these tubes are problematic in the glass pins sealing(as mentioned early) and still sells the tubes as if they were perfect at boutique prices.
However in China the defective tubes are selling at lower prices not go to the waste bin.

At least the EH or Shuguang low grade 300B are inexpensive and seems dont have premature failure prob which makes them much more cost/benefit than Sophia.

Sophia are best sound? What is sound quality? How important is sound quality if the valve lasts only a few months and can destroy your amp or made a fire in your home! Not to mention personal injury.

This is the prob w/Chinese tubes they dont have reliability cause they are commercial products, where a failure is not critical.
For me Iam happy w/Russian Military tubes=hi reliability at low prices.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2015, 12:09 am by FullRangeMan »

Lyon

« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2015, 08:05 am »
Thanks everyone for replying to my post!

Ive got my TJ Full music carbon tubes in now and they trash the Sophia mesh for sound quality at least in my Audion amp... I was starting to keep looking over at the amp pensively to make sure everythings working ok...but lifes too short! Im gonna buy the cheapest set i can find...psvanes HiFi series at £104 free postage for a matched pair... then i have the high end and the low end in 300B. the TJ carbons were £500.... five times more expensive....

All Best Wishes

Jack

Ps.... I had a World Audio Design Kel84 simple EL84 15W per channel push pull amp for 9 years before upgrading to 300B. It was always a solid reliable valve and very musical.. a true workhorse... but, theres something intangible..something magical about low output tubes, 300B, px25 etc etc..I guess its the holographic midrange and the big all enveloping soundstage  right at the end of my nose that i love so much.

sophiaelectric

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2015, 02:17 am »
Hi Jack and Rusty Jefferson,

Sorry to know you have tube failure.  Sophia Electric would like to invite you to contact us and we will do our best to help you.  As always, Sophia Electric stands by its products.  Sophia Electric has gained first class reputation for quality and services for the past 15 years.  The premature failure you reported is unusual.

By the way, we could not find your purchase record from our database.  Did you buy these Sophia 300B tubes brand new?

Sue

Lyon

« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2015, 02:30 pm »
Hi Sue

I bought the Sophiaelectric 300B mesh tubes brand new as a matched pair from  Ebay seller ( Washington_Audio)....... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Sophia-Electric-300B-mesh-plate-tube-pair-for-Western-WE-91-86-amplifier-/161571463206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259e68e026.

my purchase number was: 161478104144 on December 1st 2014.

The tube serial numbers are N884 and N923. I still have boxes, bubble wrap and test cards.

Thanks for getting involved Sue

Jack

sophiaelectric

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2015, 04:03 pm »
Hi Jack,

Can you forward me a copy of your payment receipt to sales@sophiaelectric.com?

Regards,

Sue

Lyon

« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2015, 08:57 am »
Hi Sue

I have sent the receipt to the address you provided

Regards

Jack

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #26 on: 15 Feb 2015, 03:17 pm »
Hi Jack and Rusty Jefferson,

Sorry to know you have tube failure.  Sophia Electric would like to invite you to contact us and we will do our best to help you.  As always, Sophia Electric stands by its products.  Sophia Electric has gained first class reputation for quality and services for the past 15 years.  The premature failure you reported is unusual.

By the way, we could not find your purchase record from our database.  Did you buy these Sophia 300B tubes brand new?

Sue

Greetings,

Thanks for showing interest in this issue.  Original purchaser.  Will make contact with you at your office.  I'm regularly in Northern VA.

Rusty

happyrabbit

« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2015, 09:18 am »
Based on my experience with Sophia Electric , you should look else where.    I do like the TJ Full Music 6sn7. 

Dwight

doggie

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2015, 04:09 pm »
I just received a pair of used, low use Sophia Royal Princess 300B's. When they arrived the box looked fine and the triple packing was excellent but I heard rattling. Not good...

As it turns out both tubes were damaged and in exactly the same way. There are two main, non electrically conducting, supports for the metal internal structure, both embedded in a central glass support. These two rods are each on the outer most shoulder of the glass base. On each tube one piece of glass had broken off the end/outside shoulder adjacent to the support rod. The rod was still in place and the opposite rod looked intact.

Granted that I have no way of know what kind of abuse the box took it seems to me that there was a weakness there and that there probably should be more, or stronger, glass on those edges.

I am taking the tubes in for testing today to get an opinion on using them. Luckily the seller was a stand-up guy and just refunded my money. The tubes might still work fine however I would never be able to resell them.

sophiaelectric

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2015, 04:40 pm »
Hi Jack,

I sent you an email on Monday.  Did you receive it?

Cheers,

Sue

Lyon

« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2015, 07:39 pm »
Hi Sue

Sorry for the late response and thanks for the kind offers!
I have sent you an email

Best Regards

Jack