What made you choose ACI?

Eric

« on: 21 Sep 2004, 04:41 pm »
I thought it would be fun to discuss why those of us who own ACI products chose them. Here is what I would like to hear:

1. What products did you compare ACI to?
2. What was it that drew you to ACI (please don't slam what you did not choose, stress the ACI strengths)
3. What material did you use to demo the various speakers?

Thanks

Eric

Rich Carlson

Re: What made you choose ACI?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:03 pm »
Quote from: Eric
I thought it would be fun to discuss why those of us who own ACI products chose them. Here is what I would like to hear:

B&W, Paradigm, PSB, Def Tech, Martin Logan

2. What was it that drew you to ACI (please don't slam what you did not choose, stress the ACI strengths)

Better than B&W 804 (my previous top choice) in every way that matters to me.  Imaging and voice textures especially.

Everything but Broadway musicals!  The convincers? Live Mozart and live King Crimson.
Rich

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2004, 10:08 pm »

Rocket (owned), B&W (auditioned many times)

2. What was it that drew you to ACI?

A tip from a discussion board and my first view of the Panorama & Essence online. Made in the States.

DVDAs of Big Phat Band, Steely Dan, Various Films on DVD and older DVDs with less then perfect audio quality.

Harry P

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2004, 01:38 pm »
Other brands owned & or seriously auditioned include: B&W, Thiel, Vandersteen, Magnepan, Wilson, Aerial, Sonus Faber. To my ears, the Aerials are closest to the way ACI speakers voice. I love the Aerials but feel the ACIs are a far better value.

First heard about ACI from an acquaintance who owned and loved some ACIs. When I was in the market I kept seeing stuff on ACI over at AVS Forum.  I liked the looks of the Sapphire . . .called ACI and emailed about a dozen times with all sorts of annoying questions.  They never lost patience with me . . . I would have :) One of the best audio moves I ever made.

DanaA

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2004, 02:02 am »
To be honest, ordering from an online company was something I sought to avoid, but I couldn't find the speakers I wanted at local dealers.  I also soured on the "attitude" I sensed at some places.

That launched a very extensive search on all I could read regarding online only companies.  I tried, as best as possible, to determine which online only company might best suit what I was after.  I was completely unaware of ACI when the search began, but kept on stumbling across their name.  I decided to give them a try.

A 30 day in-home trial period, which is offered by most, is ideal.  We all know how room accoustics can influence sonics and many have experienced how different speakers can sound between the showroom and your home.  

The speakers arrived and I kept on loving them more.  Decided to go for on-wall Emeralds for my rears.  They are shockingly good for the money and their looks turn heads.  

Now, I'm even thinking of a certain sub...you know the one that Craig has been raving about over at HTForum.  

Probably not for now though.  Just bought a vacation property lot and need to save my pennies to build on it.  Still............

Bill-99

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2004, 03:37 pm »
Snell, Revel, Theil, B&W, Ref 3A, PMC, Von Schweikert, Energy, Mirage, Def Tech, Maggies, and a few more I don't remember.

Non-fatiguing character of soft dome tweeter
Excellent mid
Excellent integration
Great imaging
Build quality

I built a CD-R with a variety of tracks including rock, jazz, bluegrass, classical and more. I also tried to use performers that have a difficult voice to reproduce. Mainly, though, the demo disk was music I know well and the type I generally play at home.