Eero Router

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Eero Router
« Reply #40 on: 12 Feb 2015, 03:47 pm »
This on the surface looks like an awesome solution for me...almost.    I currently have a cable modem/wifi/router downstairs and my upstairs has low wifi coverage especially in my bedroom.   I hate networking, I finally starting to understand it better but I still don't like configuring the suckers. 

My problem is I want to use wired for a much coverage as possible first.   I have a lot of wired devices (PS3, Oppo, NAS, Vortexbox, Desktop, myGica XBMC android, Sonore SigRendu, Squeezeboxes) and some wireless (laptop, phone, ipad).   I currently don't have enough wired ports and have to physically swap the network cable on the device in use often.    I like the idea of the mesh network for wireless extension but it would seem to me that this product would be even better if you could marry the mesh wireless network with physically wired connecting the eero units and offering more wired ports, sort of a mix/match.

Josh,

While not cheap, I have these HP switches at key points in my house where maximum bandwidth is key:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-J9449A-ABA-Procurve-1810G-8/dp/B002NJUJ6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423755973&sr=8-1&keywords=HP+1810+8-G

George

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #41 on: 12 Feb 2015, 03:56 pm »
If you want a more robust wired solution you will need a better switch that will allow faster speeds and not default to the lowest speed of the connected devices.

George

You're right. I should have looked a little closer before linking that particular unit. The switches I'm using are actually Asus gigabit, a few years old, I think I paid around $40. I imagine you could get same capability for less now.

srb

« Reply #42 on: 12 Feb 2015, 04:13 pm »
The switches I'm using are actually Asus gigabit, a few years old, I think I paid around $40. I imagine you could get same capability for less now.

Yes, there is no shortage of $20 and up Gigabit switches. The same series Netgear switch you linked to in Gigabit versions

NETGEAR GS205 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch in Plastic Case - ~ $20

NETGEAR GS305-100PAS 5-Port Gigabit Switch in Metal Case -  ~ $22

And plenty of others in 8-Port and/or business-class versions for $25 to $50

Steve

tvyankee

« Reply #43 on: 12 Feb 2015, 04:31 pm »
As Zybar pointed out with cheap switches most of them if not all unless smart in some form knock the speed down to the lowest connected device such as 10/100 base devices.

Might be better off get a good managed switch.

wisnon

« Reply #44 on: 12 Feb 2015, 05:05 pm »
How does this look for $170?
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/

wisnon

« Reply #45 on: 12 Feb 2015, 05:06 pm »
Maybe the new IT guy got it setup properly.   :P

We have a Big IT organization with Data warehouses on 3 continents.

Shouldnt be micky mouse...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 12 Feb 2015, 05:34 pm »
How does this look for $170?
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/

It's a very good router...I own it.

That said, it can't cover my whole house.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 12 Feb 2015, 09:33 pm »

George
That's the issue I'm having with my 3.  Not good enough. 

I just canceled my eero order (3-Pack and 2 singles) and re-ordered (2) 3-Packs.  There should be no issue now.  With the current cost it's slightly less than 3 Airport Extreme's and should be better.  We'll find out! 
« Last Edit: 19 May 2015, 03:12 pm by jtwrace »

wisnon

« Reply #48 on: 13 Feb 2015, 04:01 pm »

George

Thanks...very useful info.

wisnon

« Reply #49 on: 13 Feb 2015, 04:03 pm »
That's the issue I'm having with my 3.  Not good enough. 

I just canceled my eero order (3-Pack and 2 singles) and re-ordered (2) 3-Packs.  There should be no issue now.  With the current cost it's slightly less than 3 Airport Extreme's and should be better.  We'll find out! 

Pre-Order until 2/15/15.

You dont play....All in Jason!

I will have to wait for the European version. Currently my network is not best practice, as I have 2 different dhcp networks, one ethernet only and the other for Wifi.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: 13 Feb 2015, 04:22 pm »
You dont play....All in Jason!

I will have to wait for the European version. Currently my network is not best practice, as I have 2 different dhcp networks, one ethernet only and the other for Wifi.
Hey, if it's worth doing it's worth doing right.   ;)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 14 Feb 2015, 03:29 pm »
Just a reminder that preorders end tomorrow.

ctviggen

« Reply #52 on: 15 Feb 2015, 12:08 am »
For me, wireless just doesn't cut it.  I average less than 10MBytes/second on wireless and 7-8 times better than that on 1gbps wired.  I am moving a lot of data, though.  But for my HT computer, for instance, wireless sucks and the computer is on top of the wireless router.  With a wired connection, I can record/play three HD streams at once, and play another.  With wireless, the whole system begins crashing.  On the other hand, I do have some tablets and other wireless devices, but honestly haven't had any dead areas (and my house is 4,100 square feet). 

I'll wait to buy until more reviews come out, and I feel I have a need for this. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #53 on: 15 Feb 2015, 12:30 am »
For me, wireless just doesn't cut it.  I average less than 10MBytes/second on wireless and 7-8 times better than that on 1gbps wired.  I am moving a lot of data, though.  But for my HT computer, for instance, wireless sucks and the computer is on top of the wireless router.  With a wired connection, I can record/play three HD streams at once, and play another.  With wireless, the whole system begins crashing.  On the other hand, I do have some tablets and other wireless devices, but honestly haven't had any dead areas (and my house is 4,100 square feet). 

I'll wait to buy until more reviews come out, and I feel I have a need for this.

What router and wireless adapters are you using?  What protocol?

Any halfway decent (and relatively new) Wifi router/adapter combo will produce significantly better results than what you are seeing.

I get 2-3.5x times your results with a crappy 4 year old Dell laptop using N protocol connecting wirelessly to an Asus ac68u.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 15 Feb 2015, 01:51 am »

Sounds as though you're a perfect candidate for this setup.  My house isn't much smaller and I'm able to stream from my NAS to my AURALiC ARIES in 2xDSD wirelessly.  The issue is the other parts of the house there are some dead zones.  This product will solve those issues.  I have 100% confidence and saving 40% is a bonus too.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2015, 03:13 pm by jtwrace »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 15 Feb 2015, 08:05 pm »
Just under 12 hrs for [url=https://www.eero.com
« Last Edit: 19 May 2015, 03:13 pm by jtwrace »

JDUBS

« Reply #56 on: 15 Feb 2015, 08:47 pm »
Just under 12 hrs for Pre-Orders.  Get those orders in!

Why are you pitching this product so hard?  You get a discount, I assume?

Can a the facilitator lock this thread?

-Jim

Doublej

« Reply #57 on: 15 Feb 2015, 11:59 pm »
Why are you pitching this product so hard?  You get a discount, I assume?

Can a the facilitator lock this thread?

-Jim

He gets some sort of kickback. Note the embedded referral code in his multiple posts.

...ct-referral-code=wuiMQNP9

srb

« Reply #58 on: 16 Feb 2015, 12:10 am »
"Tell your friends. Save money.

Save money with a little help from your friends. Once you've pre-ordered, we’ll email you a unique referral code. If your friends use it, they'll get flawless WiFi. And you'll get $10 back on your pre-order"

JDUBS

« Reply #59 on: 16 Feb 2015, 12:26 am »
He gets some sort of kickback. Note the embedded referral code in his multiple posts.

...ct-referral-code=wuiMQNP9

Of course....just trying to get an admission.  So annoying.

I can't imagine this is allowed here.

-Jim