Older Pioneer plasma

usp1

Older Pioneer plasma
« on: 26 Jan 2015, 08:54 pm »
I have a chance to buy a Pioneer PDP-607cmx (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Plasma/PDP-607CMX) in supposedly good condition at a very reasonable price. I am not in the market for a TV but the price is attractive and I love the picture quality of a good plasma. I have a few concerns and I was wondering if anyone has opinions/knowledge/advice.

1. Lack of HDMI - The device does have a DVI-D input so I suppose it would be possible to use a DVI to HDMI cable. Would this affect picture quality?
2. Resolution - It is 1365X768 so even a 720p signal would have to be scaled. Would that be a problem?
3. Any comments on this particular model. It is not a Kuro but part of the industrial line of plasmas they used to make.

Thanks for any help

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Older Pioneer plasma
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:32 pm »
I love the picture quality of my 720P Pioneer plasma.  With the professional models, I believe most do not have a built-in speaker or add-on speaker bar. That might not be an issue if you have a soundbar or plan to use a receiver and speakers.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:40 pm »
The only thing I would be concerned about is HDMI. Might you run into handshake issues? If you get an HDMI to DVI cable, how will sound be handled? DVI will give you the video, but that's all. My guess is that you'd have to run analog cables off your source (assuming it has internal decoders), or you'd have to run optical or coax with their limited resolution to an external component with decoding (ie an AV preamp, receiver, etc)

usp1

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:43 pm »
The only thing I would be concerned about is HDMI. Might you run into handshake issues? If you get an HDMI to DVI cable, how will sound be handled? DVI will give you the video, but that's all. My guess is that you'd have to run analog cables off your source (assuming it has internal decoders), or you'd have to run optical or coax with their limited resolution to an external component with decoding (ie an AV preamp, receiver, etc)

I am not entirely sure what the handshake issues might be. I thought the DVI-D and hdmi are pin to pin compatible for video. I would of course have to run my signal through a receiver and the sound would be handled by the HT speakers so the lack of audio should not be an issue.

audio.bill

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:12 pm »
You didn't mention the selling price, but I'm a plasma fan myself and with all due respect I think you'd be better off buying a brand new plasma. They are being closed out at this point since manufacturing is now all LCD, so you can find some great deals on brand new true 1080p plasma sets with HDMI inputs and a full warranty. I believe there are still some closeouts available from Samsung and LG if you search for them.

usp1

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:19 pm »
You didn't mention the selling price, but I'm a plasma fan myself and with all due respect I think you'd be better off buying a brand new plasma. They are being closed out at this point since manufacturing is now all LCD, so you can find some great deals on brand new true 1080p plasma sets with HDMI inputs and a full warranty. I believe there are still some closeouts available from Samsung and LG if you search for them.

The price is very very low, which is why I am interested. I already have two other Panasonic plasmas and don't really need another but a 60 inch pioneer plasma is tempting if I can put it to some use.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:28 pm »
Are you sure it's a TV receiver?  I don't see mention of an RF input.

persisting1

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:31 pm »
If they are essentially giving it away, pick it up, but I would not spend much.

usp1

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:34 pm »
Are you sure it's a TV receiver?  I don't see mention of an RF input.

Not sure what you mean by RF input. I don't think it has a tuner if that is what you are asking.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:44 pm »
So long as you know it doesn't have a tuner.  If it fits your needs, and is cheap enough, why not?

I took my wife to look at flat screens, hoping to steer her towards a plasma, but in the store they looked terrible.

lowtech

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:24 am »
I recently donated my 43" version of this monitor (PDP-4304) to Goodwill despite it still working.  It served me well over the years, but it had HDMI sync issues and some minor screen burn-in.  The Sony 1080p LCD that replaced it is light years better, weighs 1/4 as much, is far more energy efficient and has overall better picture quality.

The Pioneer does not have a built in tuner and has detachable speakers.

usp1

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:48 am »
I looked into this further and decided against buying it. It weighs 136lbs and I don't feel like lugging it in and out of the house. The price (under 200) was enticing but too many compromises.