Help with Electronics Location

ACHiPo

Help with Electronics Location
« on: 21 Jan 2015, 02:21 pm »
I thought I'd finally figured out how to arrange my office/listening room, but then Jim Smith's book "Get Better Sound" arrived yesterday and thumbing through it made it sound like a really bad idea to put my electronics (including my turntable) in the back of my listening room, and I'd like some input from this forum.

You can see my listening room progress here and initial characterization:
Transformation of Library to Listening Room

My only two real options are to put the electronics in the closet in the back of the room, or to leave them where they are, but on a more suitable stand.  I'd decided on the closet, but as Jim Smith says, having equipment where bass is strongest is a bad idea.

In my previous house I had my turntable and different electronics up against the wall between speakers in our great room, and things were ok (i.e. no noticeable feedback from the Well Tempered Reference turntable), so I think it will be ok, if not optimum.

I still suspect that having the electronics not in-between speakers will be better, even if they are in a bass-heavy area.

Opinions?  Are there things I could do to the closet to minimize the bass energy?  I'd thought about building a massive (54" x 25" x 24" deep) bass trap in the top of the closet anyway, as I figured it could help damp some of the room's bass energy and smooth response a bit.

Thanks,
AC

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Help with Electronics Location
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2015, 12:28 am »
Long cable runs is a bad idea.  I'd replace the cabinets under the bay windows to accommodate your gear.  The turntable should freely float (if the room is not a concrete slab) or be spiked/secured to the slab and either way be fully enclosed.  The tube amps will have to elsewhere for venting, but ideally would be as enclosed as much as possible.

With a turntable/tube amp system, you must accept micro-phonics, so just turn the damn music down.   :nono:

Of course you could setup the turntable/amps in the space directly below the speakers and run back and forth every 20 minutes.

Silly turntables anyway.   :roll:

ACHiPo

Re: Help with Electronics Location
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2015, 01:45 pm »
JLM,
Thanks.  How long is too long for balanced cables?
Evan