My quest for a cheap starter TT.

G

« on: 18 Sep 2004, 02:06 pm »
Hi All,

In the last few days I have taken the plunge...........twice :? . I bought a old Akai TT on EPAY to get my feet wet and I thought I was set for a while. Then I realized the depths of the disease after I found myself looking at TTs on EPAY yet again the next day. This morning I found a Parasound TTb 720 for a "buy it now" price of $75.00 so I pulled the trigger............again :?. Don't worry Mike. I will stilll be getting that Planar from you when I'm ready to plunk down $400. This is just to get me by while I complete the rest of my system. Did I screw up guys? Anyone know anything about the Parasound tables? I will definately need some help with setup and tweaking. Are you listening Scott & Mike?  :o

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2004, 03:04 pm »
I remember wanting a Browning Citori O/U shotgun about 15 years ago.

At the time I didn't have the $1000 for it, so I bought a cheap $500 one.

If I had waited 6 months, I could have afforded the Citori IF I hadn't bought the cheap one (I had other shotguns at the time, but not an O/U).

It took me a year to get the Citori and I was stuck with a cheap gun I had to sell at a loss.

That lesson I have learned over in stereo gear.  Now I just wait until I can afford what I really want and start with that.

I think you should have just saved up for the Planar.

G

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2004, 03:39 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
I remember wanting a Browning Citori O/U shotgun about 15 years ago.

At the time I didn't have the $1000 for it, so I bought a cheap $500 one.

If I had waited 6 months, I could have afforded the Citori IF I hadn't bought the cheap one (I had other shotguns at the time, but not an O/U).

It took me a year to get the Citori and I was stuck with a cheap gun I had to sell at a loss.

That lesson I have learned over in stereo gear.  Now I just wait until I can afford what I really want and start with that.

I think you should have just saved up for the Planar.

This is really my dad isn't it? :lol: Just kidding. You are more than likely right.

electricbear

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2004, 03:53 pm »
I'm with Marbles on this one. I've lost a fortune over the years through a lack of patience.

DeadFish

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2004, 09:46 pm »
Gavin, I got your back on this one!

I'm the guy that bought (uh!) 3 amplifiers last week!
I understand entirely where Marbles is coming from, as I have done similar stunts, losing along the way.  
But then again, I have looked at it like I was 'paying' for my learning experience, and most certainly in the used hifi market, there are bargains to be had.
And sometimes, if I'm lucky, I come close to recoup what I have in something and then I got to have the honor of hearing something in my house, in my system, and then making a decision. (or be unable to)
Not that I am rich, but I am willing to pay for that more than expensive interconnects, or 'brand new' (most of the time.)
Heck, if what you bought gets you interested, there's something to pay for.
I hope you bought cheap enough it can be 'back to Epay' and have a reasonably happy experience!

And on a further note, you know that I've kind of made the Bottlehead site kind of 'threadbare' reading up on the Foreplay.
One of the philosophies I've seen time and time again offered to newbies over there is to build the unit stock and listen for a while, before doing any of the upgrades you might have bought with it.
The idea, partially, is to get a sense of what you are buying in improvements, and let your hearing teach you.
To bring it back 'home', if you bought a $5k turntable first, would you really *know* why it was so expensive compared to another 'bargain' tt?
For me, its the journey, not the destination a lot of times..Sometimes that helps me understand about the NEXT buy before I piss away money...heheh

Now, do you want to talk to me about a few of these phono stages I talked myself into???  :D

Hope you enjoy yourself with it G!
I'll swap you a listen sometime!

Regards,
DeadFish

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2004, 09:59 pm »
Quote from: G
This is really my dad isn't it? :lol:

Could be, I got around a lot when I was single  8)  :wink:

G

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2004, 04:08 am »
Quote from: DeadFish
Gavin, I got your back on this one!

I'm the guy that bought (uh!) 3 amplifiers last week!
I understand entirely where Marbles is coming from, as I have done similar stunts, losing along the way.  
But then again, I have looked at it like I was 'paying' for my learning experience, and most certainly in the used hifi market, there are bargains to be had.
And sometimes, if I'm lucky, I come close to recoup what I have in something and then I got to have the honor of hearing something in my house, in my s ...

You can count on me dropping by to borrow a phono stage or three. :D