UpTone Audio Regen

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: UpTone Audio Regen
« Reply #100 on: 21 Jun 2015, 09:41 pm »
For anyone that owns a "green" and has updated to the "amber" you might be interested in this

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #101 on: 22 Jun 2015, 06:22 am »
In this? I better go there now!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #102 on: 22 Jun 2015, 11:54 am »
I purchased a iFi USB power supply.  It did not mate well with this regen unit - sibilance and smearing.  Alone I thought the iFi created a better sound.  Right now I have my regen parked to the side.

oskar

« Reply #103 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:19 pm »
Regen arrived yesterday. Connected using the solid adapter. Generic USB cable from laptop.
Wow! Gobsmacked. Exceeds expectations by a mile. My stereo is on steroids!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #104 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:58 pm »
Obviously from the comments a VG product. my question as a non computer person is how can this discovery and implementation be incorporated in the computer or DAC ? Are the standard USB and other connections flawed ? Please explain.

charles

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #105 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:06 pm »
Obviously from the comments a VG product. my question as a non computer person is how can this discovery and implementation be incorporated in the computer or DAC ? Are the standard USB and other connections flawed ? Please explain.

charles
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index48.html#post431553

Big Red Machine

« Reply #106 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:48 pm »
Did anyone try both the iFi USB power AND the Regen in series?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #107 on: 23 Jun 2015, 08:26 pm »
I have both here.  I will give it a try and see what happens.

I think the way to do this is the PC -> USB Regen -> iFi -> DAC.  This way the lowest noise power supply is feeding the DAC.  Still needs two USB cables as I would do the solid link between the Regen and iFi.

wisnon

« Reply #108 on: 23 Jun 2015, 08:39 pm »
Regen MUST always be closest to Dac to work best…otherwise the entire effort has likely been wasted.

wisnon

« Reply #109 on: 23 Jun 2015, 08:42 pm »

charles

Inside the dac is NOT a great idea, unless you have separate power transformer and separate power plug and separate grounding scheme.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #110 on: 23 Jun 2015, 09:23 pm »
I had the same experience as BRM with the USB Regen and iFi separately.  I like the iFi more.

Will see what happens.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #111 on: 23 Jun 2015, 11:30 pm »
Regen MUST always be closest to Dac to work best…otherwise the entire effort has likely been wasted.
Yep, and when the little PS add on is released that could take it over the top for those that require 5Vdc on the BUS. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #112 on: 23 Jun 2015, 11:51 pm »
I had the same experience as BRM with the USB Regen and iFi separately.  I like the iFi more.

Will see what happens.

I just tried it again with my father-in-law in the room and he clearly heard the sibilance with it in place.  Took it out and all is well.  When I get a chance I'll try it without the iFi unit again.

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #113 on: 25 Jun 2015, 02:14 am »
So Big Red, is it my understanding you are using BOTH the Regen and the iFi together at the same time? If so that is not recommended.

I am in no way suggesting that you are not hearing what you are but you (and Hal) are less than 1% so far. May I suggest that you check with Alex (or John) at Uptone Audio and see if there may be a cause and a solution. Of course it just may be a synergy problem.

I know a few Regen users systems had a problem using the included power supply (seems the systems picked up the SMPS noise) but when they tried a good quality linear power supply they had excellent results with the Regen.

Good luck.

sfox7076

« Reply #114 on: 25 Jun 2015, 02:50 am »
I got nothing out of the Regen with my setup (LPS and SMPS used), so I moved on. 

Shawn

kukiman

« Reply #115 on: 25 Jun 2015, 04:03 am »
Hello big RED!

it's great to know some other regen user is getting what I am hearing, sibiliance.

It is so obvious and its quite harsh to the ears, so much so that you simply cannot convince yourself that the sound is improved.

Is there something wrong with our systems? or something wrong with our regens?

I was so super excited that REGEN arrived finally but once I plugged in I find the sound harsh and edgy and lots of sibiliance.
I let it burned for two to three days and it was the same.

I tried both the SMPS and my own LPS as well.

KK

wisnon

« Reply #116 on: 25 Jun 2015, 11:05 am »
Shawn, HAL, BRM and Kukiman, could you please lay out what your playback chain is like?

Just curious to see if there is an obvious explanation.

I dont hear this sibilance at all, but again, I use the Green with Corning.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #117 on: 25 Jun 2015, 11:13 am »
My chain is:

HAL MS-3 Music Server -> Virtue Audio USB cable -> USB Regen -> dspMusik as USB async DAC -> Audio Alchemy HPA 1.0 -> HiFiMan HE500's.

Mine is not a sibilance issue.  Mine sounds rolled off in the top end and dulling of transients as compared to the same setup without the USB Regen.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #118 on: 25 Jun 2015, 12:36 pm »
HAL MS-2 Music Server - TotalDac USB cable - insert a gizmo of your choice here - Chord Qute EX dac - Dude - etc.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #119 on: 25 Jun 2015, 02:35 pm »
No sibilance with mine either.  I'm more in line with HAL, the top end is less pronounced in my setup.  But in my case, that's a good thing - I don't lose any detail, it's just more pleasant to listen to.  And the bass is substantially cleaner and clearer.

My chain - dedicated PC music server with SOtM USB card -> Regen Green -> generic USB cable -> Regen Amber -> iFi iDSD Micro DAC -> 6sn7 Tube preamp -> First Watt Aleph J amp -> Serenity Acoustic Super 7 speakers.