Remote car starters

TomS

Remote car starters
« on: 5 Dec 2014, 04:22 pm »
My wife is taking delivery of a new 2015 Honda CR-V EX-L w/Nav today. Honda's remote start is apparently functionally a dud and very expensive through a dealer. I'd like to have one that's a bit smarter, maybe 2-way. We don't need any extra security features, but the Smartstart iPhone BT/cell interface would be nice to have. It needs to be reliable and foolproof.

I know nothing about these, Viper, Python, Avital, Compustar, etc. though they all appear to be the same company. We have a Compustar one on my daughter's Element and it seems to work well. This will be professionally installed, no DIY for me on this one.

Any recommendations from the car stereo savvy folks out there?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Remote car starters
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2014, 07:46 pm »
I can't help, but as a service department employee, will raise one concern that comes to mind.

With it being a 2015, there's a bunch of warranty left on it. When you add aftermarket electrical items, you'll open yourself up to a lot of trouble if the Honda has any electrical issues down the road. "Old school" cars weren't as much of a problem, but newer cars use low speed and high speed networks for the couple dozen control modules to communicate with each other, even to perform the most basic of functions.

Adding third party electronics is tempting fate. I've been involved in way too many of these situations.  :duh:

Best of luck Tom!
Bob