Studio Monitors < $1k

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Studio Monitors < $1k
« Reply #80 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:12 am »
If you go diy, get the GR research N2x.  From what I understand, Jeff B's computer model for crossovers works well, but I'd bet Danny's ear works better.
As a customer of both, I wouldn't say that at all.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #81 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:17 am »
I guess we disagree. 

wushuliu

« Reply #82 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:28 am »
If you go diy, get the GR research N2x.  From what I understand, Jeff B's computer model for crossovers works well, but I'd bet Danny's ear works better.

Nice backhanded compliment. Jeff's program has nothing to do with the quality of Jeff's own designs and has nothing to do with how good Danny's ear may or may not be. Sheesh. Jeff uses his ears too. Frankly, I'll put my money on Jeff.

bonsai

« Reply #83 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:39 am »
I have a pair of Wayne Parham design 4PI speakers and would do it all again for sure.  Get the JBL 2226H 15" woofer and the B&C DE250 compression.  Excellent value high performer for any room as far as I'm concerned.

DS-21

« Reply #84 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:54 am »
Wow! I never knew they were so bad.....especially with all the glowing reviews.
I second roscoeiii's recommendation for KEF LS50's,***

In truth the Ascends are better than most "hi-fi" speakers, in that at least they're designed for flat axial response. But the problem is geometric: a 7" woofer is just not going to hand off to a 1" tweeter on a flat baffle (i.e. a 180º waveguide) with anything resembling smooth polars. Any 7" 2-way with the tweeter flush on the baffle will have polars as bad as the Ascend, or worse.

As for the KEF LS50's, they were measured by the same Princeton University lab from which I pulled the Ascend polars. They look rather better.

The KEF R100, X300, or for that matter Q100 will have basically the same directivity pattern, except that because their cabinets are shaped differently the diffraction signature will be different. The four speakers use slight variants of the same concentric drive-unit.

To the OP, also check local classifieds for used Tannoy System 8 NFM II, System 10 DMT II, or System 12 DMT II. (I don't know the others as well.) They may fit your budget, and IMO are still elite-class loudspeakers.

srb

« Reply #85 on: 11 Dec 2014, 02:06 am »
I have a pair of Wayne Parham design 4PI speakers and would do it all again for sure.  Get the JBL 2226H 15" woofer and the B&C DE250 compression.

While the OP's initial request was for a < $1K speaker pair, either powered or passive + amplifier, he got recommendations for $1500 passive speakers alone without amplifier.

Now he's getting recommendations for a passive pair of speakers for $2650/pair +  amplifier?

Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: 11 Dec 2014, 02:10 am »
DS-21

Perhaps you should show what a very good Polar Plot looks like for comparison. 

DS-21

« Reply #87 on: 11 Dec 2014, 03:30 am »
Measurement techniques vary enough that I'd only be comfortable comparing the Princeton University 3D3A labs charts to other speakers they've measured. For example, while I can't see Dr. Geddes' software - it's windows only and I use OS X - I expect that his plot for the Nathan doesn't look quite like this:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #88 on: 11 Dec 2014, 03:40 am »
While the OP's initial request was for a < $1K speaker pair, either powered or passive + amplifier, he got recommendations for $1500 passive speakers alone without amplifier.

Now he's getting recommendations for a passive pair of speakers for $2650/pair +  amplifier?

Steve

I agree Steve.  Please keep your recommendations within C&C guidelines gentlemen.

Cacophonix

« Reply #89 on: 11 Dec 2014, 05:29 pm »
You might want to look at dynaudio BM5a. I've these and to date, are among the best speakers i've heard. They are near field monitors, and work wonderfully in my 10x10 home office. They can be regularly had for ~$650 or so on ebay.

pslate

« Reply #90 on: 11 Dec 2014, 06:47 pm »
Soundfeild SAM-1 if you can get a pair used  :thumb: Blows the LS50 out of the water in my opinion. AJ does controlled directivity very well. I have 3 CBM-170SE's collection dust in the closet. Anyone want CBM-170se's in Chicago cheap?

Hold on just went to AJ's site and saw this http://www.soundfieldaudio.net/monitor-1v2.html

brklnclln

« Reply #91 on: 12 Dec 2014, 08:13 am »
Thankyou for all your recommendations. I've looked into the options presented here and I've discovered there are really limited options on the west coast of Australia (without being gouged on price) and shipping a pair of monitors internationally is just too expensive.  I've opted to go down the DIY avenue and picked up a kit pair of Continuums with shipping for $480. The relatively small size of the Continuums seem perfect for my small 'studio', especially considering the closed design. I can't wait to start putting these together.

I'm now chasing recommendations for an amp (or amps) to pair with the speakers. The old Kenwood KA3500 I inherited from my folks just won't cut it. I'm decent with a soldering iron so i'm not afraid to go diy. I saw the ClassD amps are reasonably popular in this subforum - should I go down this avenue or are there better options for my $?

Thanking you guys in advance!

DS-21

« Reply #92 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:44 am »
Soundfeild SAM-1 if you can get a pair used  :thumb: Blows the LS50 out of the water in my opinion. AJ does controlled directivity very well.***

I agree.

Keep in mind the polars will be basically the same: same size/depth cone, same size/shape tweeter, same tweeter phase plug, etc. The difference is that the SAM1's are more neutrally voiced.

apollophono

« Reply #93 on: 15 Dec 2014, 10:28 am »
Just want to check on another possibility?  Has anybody heard the Centrance MasterClass 2504 speakers?
They seem to get good to great reviews and for only $249 they seem like a bargain. 

charmerci

« Reply #94 on: 15 Dec 2014, 10:36 am »
I didn't think you were still looking but these are the Dennis Murphy Philharmonitors under a different name. This is the company that makes them for his design. They are produced in China so shipping might not be too expensive since it's free to the States. Maybe they will give you a break on shipping if you say that you're familiar with the Philharmonitor.

http://www.alexissound.com/rebecca/

Price and shipping info.

http://www.alexissound.com/contact-2/

Doublej

« Reply #95 on: 15 Dec 2014, 11:37 am »
There good information here. They seem to really like Focal.

http://www.audiostream.com/category/desktop-component-reviews

The Tannoys are on sale for $101 each at BH Photo. Sale ends today.