New guy with some questions.

Koz123

Re: New guy with some questions.
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2014, 12:29 am »
So do you guys think that
NAD C315BEE amplifier - $379.99

NAD PP-2 Phono Preamplifier - $149

And spending about $500 on different speakers is okay?

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2014, 01:07 am »
I'd personally pay $750 on speakers and get a good integrated (maybe used) with a built in phono stage for around $250. There are some great vintage receivers out there if you can live without a remote. But even if you need a remote, there are some good integrateds with phono stages out there.

Down the line, a logical upgrade might be getting an external phono stage.

And follow this line of decision making:

1) Choose speakers that will match your room (and preferences)
2) Choose an amp that will match your speakers

PRELUDE

« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2014, 02:09 am »
Hi Anthony and welcome to Audio Circle.
With $1000 budget, today's market does not offer anything reasonably good but it does not mean that you could not create a nice sound at home.
If I were you I would not go separate but would look for a best integrated amp that I could afford. 
For speakers look here, they are nice speakers for the price, factory direct, free shipping and 30 days money back guarantee.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/
I owned  this Luxman R-117 for three times and still have the last one in mint condition. It has enough power to drive any speaker very good digital tuner indeed and has phono stage build in for MM and MC.
Read this:
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/luxman/r-117.shtml

And look here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxman-R-117-Digital-Synthesized-Home-Theater-Stereo-Receiver-Very-Powerful-FS-/151471003165?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item234460161d

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #23 on: 12 Nov 2014, 02:31 am »
So do you guys think that
NAD C315BEE amplifier - $379.99

NAD PP-2 Phono Preamplifier - $149

And spending about $500 on different speakers is okay?

I personally think that's a good plan. Your head can spin from all the brands and suggestions. The important thing is not to waste your money on something too crappy and to just get down to enjoying your music. With time and experience you'll discover what you really like. But no reasons not to be listening to something in the meantime.

NAD tends toward the warm so you can still happily match it with today's budget speakers that tend to be bright. There's actually many good bookshelf / monitor speakers around $350 new or used, including the pioneers previously mentioned or budget ones from wharferdale, mordaunt short, etc.

What I don't see on your list is a way to listen to digital. I'd spend $150 on an Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC for your laptop and a mini jack to RCA cable - or a radioshack mini jack to RCA converter.  It'll sound a LOT better than your PC / laptop sound card.

Lastly, do leave $100 for some cabling, including rca's for the pro-ject table. You'd be surprised how even some $25 aftermarket cables new or used will help, especially the turntable. The RCAs that came with my first budget project turntable were atrociously bad. New at the budget end I like the Wireworld Luna series of interconnects and speaker cables.

Good luck!

Koz123

« Reply #24 on: 12 Nov 2014, 02:42 am »
You guys give so much great advice! Maybe too much jk. So going with the above which speakers should I pair with them?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #25 on: 12 Nov 2014, 03:14 am »
Pioneer sp-22's or wharfedale 10.1's. The pioneers can be had for under $130 - for $170 you can get the superior Dennis Murphy modded ones. The wharfedales are available on clearance from Music Direct starting at $280. Both are Stereophile Class C speakers.

charmerci

« Reply #26 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:21 am »
Pioneer sp-22's or wharfedale 10.1's. The pioneers can be had for under $130 - for $170 you can get the superior Dennis Murphy modded ones. The wharfedales are available on clearance from Music Direct starting at $280. Both are Stereophile Class C speakers.

If you're considering the Pioneers, get the PhilharmonicAudio ones. They're much better. (It'll take a little time to get them after ordering and it's plus shipping.)

Koz123

« Reply #27 on: 12 Nov 2014, 05:46 pm »
http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=wharfedales

Which ones Will work with NAD AMP and NAD preAmp?

srb

« Reply #28 on: 12 Nov 2014, 06:20 pm »
http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=wharfedales
Which ones Will work with NAD AMP and NAD preAmp?

Based on your price range, I assume you're looking at the bookshelf models.  The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, 10.2 and Denton Limited Edition 80th Anniversary are all 6 ohm / 86dB so all would probably present a similar load to the amplifier.  Choosing the Diamond 10.2 or Denton SE over the Diamond 10.1 would be a choice based on your budget and preference for a few Hz more bass and ability to move a bit more air with a 6.5" driver (10.2) or more finesse and accuracy with better drivers and a more solid cabinet (Denton LE).

Another amplifier I would consider in that price range is the Marantz PM5004, which is said to have an above average phono stage.  On sale for $359, that would save you $170 over the NAD 316BEE + PP-2 phono preamp, and that might allow you to purchase a better speaker within the budget.

Like others that have posted, I would probably put more money into speakers than amplifier within this budget.

Steve

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2014, 01:10 am »
I'd get one of these two depending on what finish you want :

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-47335-wharfedale-diamond-101-rosewood-demo.aspx

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-46808-wharfedale-diamond-101-cherry-demo.aspx

I find the Marantz amps to have a nice crystaline high-frequency and good mid range, but kind of wimpy bass. For my money, Id go with the NAD.

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:29 am »
Hello everyone, first post here. My name is Anthony I live in nyc I'm into classic rock, jazz, metal ect. My dad passed years ago when I was 18 and I have all of his vinyl. I bought a pro-ject turntable a year ago and never got around to getting everything together. I was looking to get a vacuum amp for under $1,000 but having trouble finding a good one.

My question is what else do I need other then the turntable to get a good stereo setup? Amp, speakers, ect?

Which brands would you recommend on a budget?

Thanks every!

I got a perfect integrated amp that fits your budget and needs. The Arcam FMJ A19 - Won numerous awards recently, and good reviews from just about everybody. Got a good Phono stage, running class AB with 50 WPC. Check it out. I think Crutchfield sells em.

For speakers, I'd pair it up with the new B&W 685 S2.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #31 on: 14 Nov 2014, 04:09 am »

I got a perfect integrated amp that fits your budget and needs. The Arcam FMJ A19 - Won numerous awards recently, and good reviews from just about everybody. Got a good Phono stage, running class AB with 50 WPC. Check it out. I think Crutchfield sells em.

For speakers, I'd pair it up with the new B&W 685 S2.

The Arcam A19 is superb : been demoing one for a bit now.  Great pace and musical.  But didn't get the feeling the OP's budget stretched to a $1K integrated amp........

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 14 Nov 2014, 08:18 am »
The Arcam A19 is superb : been demoing one for a bit now.  Great pace and musical.  But didn't get the feeling the OP's budget stretched to a $1K integrated amp........

I didn't check posts after the original post, and thought he mentioned he was willing to spend 1K on a tube amp with a good Phono stage so I thought I mention the Arcam. Though its solid-state, it does sound like a good SET amp at times.You can actually get the A19 off eBay right now for $799.00 refurbished.

I've had alot of hyped up gear in my system recently, starting with PS Audio MK2, Chord Hugo, QuteHD, minimax, oppo 105D, Goldmund Job 225 etc etc which all cost a bit over Arcam irDAC and Arcam FMJ A19, and I can tell you honestly this combo bests all of the others with fraction of the price. I've sold some of the gear here on Audiocircle so if you check my post history you would know this isn't BS talking out of thin air.

I totally recommend this setup if the budget allows for OP.

megabigeye

« Reply #33 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:39 pm »
Wondering what setup you've gone with, if you've decided on anything yet?

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw my (admittedly less experienced) 2¢ out there.  I recently got the Virtue One.3 amp ($400) and run it with a TCC TC-750 phono pre ($75) and JohnBlue JB3 speakers ($390).  (I also use a BIC sub and NuForce HDP DAC/preamp, though the NuForce has been discontinued.) I also live in a relatively small apartment and I find this setup to be just about perfect.  The JB3s are no longer available new in the States, but they do show up for not-unreasonable prices on Audiogon every now and again.
If I had to do it over again, I would also be intrigued by the Kvart & Bolge Somelliers, which Steve Guttenberg recently gave rave reviews to.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could get away with not using a sub in your small space.
I would also take a look at something like the NAD D3020, which also gets rave reviews and has a built in DAC so you can connect things like your TV or blu-ray player.  It also comes with a remote and Bluetooth compatibility.

Benefits of the Virtue are that it's small, appropriate power for an apartment, (allegedly*) has a "tubey" sound, and Virtue are active board members here on AC.  Also, they're going to be $50 off on Black Friday.

*Allegedly because I've not actually ever heard tubes.

I should also mention that my dad uses a NAD 314 (older model of the 315...  Actually, I think they're up to the 316 now), and to my ears there is little competition, the Virtue is clearly superior.