Best sounding albums in your collection . .

goblin141

Re: Best sounding albums in your collection . .
« Reply #80 on: 3 Oct 2018, 08:31 pm »
So many sound so good.  For me i need wide sound stage, bad hearing and tinnitus, to really enjoy the experience. My list is of records that i play for others who have not heard a good system or to show my strengths.

Johnny Hodges, Billy Strayhorn and the Orchestra.  Verve V6 8452.  Sax and orchestra in big clear sound and old fashion music to die for.

Les Paul The New Sound Capitol T226.  Mono that fills the front of my room with my stereo AT OC9 II.  Big Big sound in front of me.

Sarita Heredia at the Matador  Flamenco Fire  World-Pacific 1427.  She and her supporting cast are live here before me.  Her son was a guitarist with The Left Bank.

Rhapsody in Blue Freddic Fennel  Eastman Kodak Orchestra  Mercury Living Presence.   Best of the bunch.  my copy is rough so tell others

Golden_Era

« Reply #81 on: 10 Oct 2018, 10:13 pm »
To my very surprise a $4 copy from the used record store bin of Huey Lewis and The News' 'Sports'.
It bests every single other vinyl I own including very nice MoFi 45 RPM remasters and such. Can't explain it but it's what I put on to show skeptics how great vinyl can be. I just love the irony of it.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #82 on: 8 Nov 2018, 12:44 pm »
Patricia Barber's albums
D Krall, Glad Rag Doll
Wagner's Ring/Solti Vienna Phil
many others

SounderMN

« Reply #83 on: 20 Nov 2018, 08:29 pm »
Paul Simon - Graceland is a standout that I don't see above. 
Rickie Lee Jones S/T
Widespread Panic - Wood

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #84 on: 21 Nov 2018, 12:32 am »

Rhapsody in Blue Freddic Fennel  Eastman Kodak Orchestra  Mercury Living Presence.   Best of the bunch.  my copy is rough so tell others

Hello, Mr. Nitpik here. T’weren’t no such thing as the Eastman Kodak Orchestra. The above mention would have been the Eastman-Rochester "Pops" Orchestra* ‎– Eastman, as in the Eastman School of Music and under the direction of Mr. Fennel, ESM faculty/alum and all-around good guy. However, there was a Kodak ‘band’ formed in 1980 or so, and consisted mostly of retirees who played pop and jazz standards for community audiences and, to the best of my knowledge, never recorded.

Cheers,
Lester

DavidDD

« Reply #85 on: 29 Nov 2018, 06:46 pm »
Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
Supertramp, Crisis? What Crisis?
Supertramp, Crime Of The Century
Dire Straits, Love Over Gold
Led Zeppelin, II
Phil Collins, Face Value
Boz Scaggs, Silk Degrees
U2, Joshua Tree
Steely Dan, Aja
Rush, Rush
John Cougar, John Cougar