WOW ! 2000HP

Guy 13

WOW ! 2000HP
« on: 10 Oct 2014, 01:51 pm »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: WOW ! 2000HP
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2014, 03:55 pm »
Fun watch  :thumb: Thanks for the post Guy.  8)

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2014, 04:03 pm »
That GTR is insane! :o
They're masterpieces of engineering in stock form. Crazy what can be done to them further, without blowing up. That speed shop definitely knows what they're doing.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2014, 05:01 pm »
You know what's weird about cars built correctly? Other than being set back in your seat, they don't feel as fast as you'd think because the indicators are gone when you can't feel much. They often feel like a brick, a brick flying past everything else. There's something to be said for the feeling of an old muscle car taking off from a dead stop where you feel the chassis and body twist around you; whether you're going real fast or not, your body is going to have a reaction.

I'd rather have any of the Lambo's... There's always someone faster, but ALL GTR owners have an uglier car.

$115k~ for one of the most unattractive performance cars ever made? :roll:

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2014, 05:15 pm »
You know what's weird about cars built correctly? Other than being set back in your seat, they don't feel as fast as you'd think because the indicators are gone when you can't feel much. They often feel like a brick, a brick flying past everything else. There's something to be said for the feeling of an old muscle car taking off from a dead stop where you feel the chassis and body twist around you; whether you're going real fast or not, your body is going to have a reaction.

I'd rather have any of the Lambo's... There's always someone faster, but ALL GTR owners have an uglier car.

$115k~ for one of the most unattractive performance cars ever made? :roll:

GTR is definitely not going to win any beauty contests in a lineup of exotics. GTR's are actually closer to $100k, but who's counting at this price point?
What I think is cool is just seeing a Nissan outrun the much more expensive exotics. That's the real marvel of engineering here. Exotics are built with no real budget ceiling, unlike a "normal" production car like the Nissan. Granted lots of money was thrown into the Nissan, but the same can be said for the Lambos that we're getting beat.
Money not being an object, I agree, I'd get a Lambo or more likely a Ferrari or McLaren. Power is one thing, but refinement is another. It's a bit of horses for courses to an extent. Apparently if speed is all that matters, then the GTR is really tough to beat.....ugly face and all. :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2014, 06:16 pm »
I'll certainly give some props to engineering.

I always thought the Saleen S7 looked awesome. http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/06/the-50-best-supercars-of-all-time/lancia-stratos

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:04 pm »
Im sure the cost of the GTR (awesome car btw) plus mods and tuning put it way way past the cost of a stock Lamborghini.

This isn't some home built 79 Datsun winning this, so the whole premise of the video is kind of pointless.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:20 pm »
Ya but it wasn't racing stock lambos.

a.wayne

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2014, 10:11 pm »
The rules and script is kind of ambiguous , racing slicks and a parachute a street car dont make, fast , but not ran in street trim.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2014, 11:23 pm »
The rules and script is kind of ambiguous , racing slicks and a parachute a street car dont make, fast , but not ran in street trim.

They also appear to have rolling start.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2014, 01:29 am »
Yea...neat...sorta.
But the video starts out talking about how many things about the car aren't Nissan anymore.
Secondly, if it can't take a corner"at speed", I start losing interest.

If we're simply talking about the straight line speed, the Brits are working on their next generation car that is designed to exceed 1,000 MPH.
That's great and all, but at the end of the day I'm more impressed with something that can be driven "spiritedly" regardless of the type of road it's on.

All it takes to make an "impressive" vehicle in one single category is a group of engineers with a large enough bank account to design a one-off car to serve no other purpose than break some world record.
That's where I've totally lost interest.

Just my two cents.
Bob

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2014, 01:32 am »
They also appear to have rolling start.

Rolling start is likely to save tires, and more importantly, transmissions during the long day of dragging. Keep in mind these are independently owned cars, not sponsored race cars with money and big crews of people working on them between drags.

And no, none of the cars are stock. The point is basically to see who is the best speed shop around. For a shop to have THE FASTEST street car, is a big deal and certainly a major business booster.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2014, 01:36 am »
Yea...neat...sorta.
But the video starts out talking about how many things about the car aren't Nissan anymore.
Secondly, if it can't take a corner"at speed", I start losing interest.

If we're simply talking about the straight line speed, the Brits are working on their next generation car that is designed to exceed 1,000 MPH.
That's great and all, but at the end of the day I'm more impressed with something that can be driven "spiritedly" regardless of the type of road it's on.

All it takes to make an "impressive" vehicle in one single category is a group of engineers with a large enough bank account to design a one-off car to serve no other purpose than break some world record.
That's where I've totally lost interest.

Just my two cents.
Bob

I get the point about $, but we all know, just like in our hobby of audio, you can't just toss money into something and expect greatness. It helps to have know how. Money can't buy you experience and expertise. That only comes with time.
The GTR still has its base 6 cylinder Nissan engine, producing 2000 hp. That's impressive. Most can't coax that much power out of a V8, let alone a V12.
And if you prefer a car that can take curves at speed, a stock GTR does it so well it has tires specially made for it. It can pull so many G's that it can rip the tires right off the rims. No joke.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2014, 04:46 am by RDavidson »

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2014, 01:53 am »
I think it's kindof funny how many have posted basically "meh" thoughts. If any of those car dudes tried to understand our hobby, they'd be "meh" towards us too.
$5000 IC's? $100k turntable? Rare vacuum tubes?.............meh. :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2014, 02:34 am »
Hi all.
I find the video funny and entertaining.
That Nissan could have made circle around the Lamborghini.  :lol:
The driver of the Nissan is having a ball.

Guy 13

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2014, 04:03 am »
2000hp is only impressive if it's streetable; sorta, since now they just use two different fuel sources for boost/non-boost overall combined octane. Cylinders don't matter.

Most drag racing isn't paid for like NASCAR or Indy.

Rolling start is because that's typical for street race, illegal.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2014, 04:32 am »
That Nissan could have made circle around the Lamborghini.  :lol:
Guy 13

what a speed of nissan!!!...hard to believe it beat a lamborghini!!!... :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2014, 04:35 am »
Here's what I find impressive. This is "off the shelf", right from your local dealer:

Turn up your speakers.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj1h75vA1Jw

(and it's beating Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari, etc..etc...)

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2014, 05:11 am »
Here's what I find impressive. This is "off the shelf", right from your local dealer:

Turn up your speakers.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj1h75vA1Jw

(and it's beating Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari, etc..etc...)

That Camaro is definitely impressive, especially for it's low price in the world of fast cars. I knew they were fast, but didn't realize how fast they really are. I'd love to have one.

Still........a stock GTR has a faster Nurburgring lap time. :wink:
2011 7:24.22
2013 7:19.10
Nismo GTR (which is factory tuned stock) 7:08.68

The GTR isn't nicknamed Godzilla without reason. It is a relatively high production super car. Anything else with as good or better performance is a "true" exotic (ie low production and almost entirely hand built). Putting all this into perspective, the GTR is as good a value as the Z28 (cheap in comparison to others with similar performance), but the GTR is in the upper most bracket of high performance vehicles.