volume knob hum.......???

Arcticdeth

volume knob hum.......???
« on: 4 Oct 2014, 08:48 pm »
we moved, and i just set up my stereo system, and when i touch the volume knob, I get hum, through my speakers......???

WTF is going on ????

ground ? wires touching ? your thoughts...........

cheers
Rusty

klaus@odyssey

Re: volume knob hum.......???
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2014, 09:27 pm »
What preamp ???

Arcticdeth

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2014, 09:46 pm »
I have a B&K pro 10 mc with separate power supply, I tried balanced XLR, and RCA cables, still the same hum, I tried running the cable tv line through a conditioner, still the same, ....now....where did I put my sledgehammer, I hate when this happens, i have checked and double checked every damn cable in the system, speaker wiring, amplifier cables, power cables, touching, not touching, still the same.   

Arcticdeth

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2014, 09:49 pm »
maybe its the ground, every important plug has the ground cable, none without the ground pin are plugged into the same outlet with the amplifiers, or preamp.  such a disappointment, I have only tonight to play loud tunes, and enjoy myself, and my time is running out, as the Lil guy will be home in 30, then its, whiny/crying music for the next 2 days.....ughhhh

Arcticdeth

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2014, 09:54 pm »
there is a " DIRECT BYPASS" BUTTON, AND WHEN PRESSED, THE HUM GOES AWAY........ I LET THE BUTTON OUT, AND THE HUM IS BACK......MAYBE ITS THE PREAMP, i don't rightly know, but its driving  me nuts. maybe its time to retire the ol trusty B&K. I really hope not, it has been the integral part of my system since 1993.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2014, 10:08 pm »
Do you have a cable box?  http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

Do you have dimmers or LED bulbs?

I had hum when I plugged in a digital monoblock amp to drive my center channel speaker (have an integrated AV system and did not want to crawl behind it and unplug every single cable and cord) and used one of these - http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz  and it went away instantly.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2014, 12:46 am »
switched Preamps, hooked up Onkyo P-308, absolute silence from tweeters ! time for the B&K to get the service to fix it i think! t hat was the problem.  onkyo sounds beautiful.

IN BUSINESS !!   cheers all

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2014, 01:50 am »
Does the B&K have 2 or 3 prong AC plug? If only 2, try flipping the plug in over.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2014, 02:15 am »
Does the B&K have 2 or 3 prong AC plug? If only 2, try flipping the plug in over.

B&K has that separate power supply, and it has the 3 prong which goes into the power supply, and the cable which goes to the outlet has 2 prong???  Maybe I mixed up the cables, but I did try a 3 prong power cord also, and the same result.  I will bring the preamp in for service, and have them test it & get a price for fixing, The volume knob has been slightly staticky for many years, but that year they used a sealed volume pot for it, and it needs to be turned back & forth 30-40 times before listening to spread the grease throughout the pot, still a damn good preamp, Phono cart is great in that, I love it. I hope it can be fixed, they don't make preamps like that anymore, especially with balanced and unbalanced connectors for the price point when purchased back in 92 or 93 or 94,........

geowak

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2014, 01:39 pm »
Articdeth.....good luck with solving your hum problems!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2014, 01:57 pm »
we moved, and i just set up my stereo system, and when i touch the volume knob, I get hum, through my speakers......???

WTF is going on ????

cheers
Rusty
Dust can do noises, try clean with freon spray.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2014, 03:25 pm by FullRangeMan »

ClefChef

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2014, 02:17 pm »

WTF is going on ????

cheers
Rusty

The grounding connection on you preamp is broken. Open it up and check that the your volume pot is grounded - connect DMM to the pot body and star ground and measure resistance - it should be 0.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2014, 06:11 pm »
The grounding connection on you preamp is broken. Open it up and check that the your volume pot is grounded - connect DMM to the pot body and star ground and measure resistance - it should be 0.

I will bring the preamp in for an overhaul soon, i am sure it is the ground wire also now that I've had more time to research ( and THIS post was the one that made me search for an answer - THANK YOU )

BTW - Klaus, as for the Rusty amplifiers. saving is still in the works....... still need more time( $ ).
I HAVENT FORGOTTEN ABOUT IT, WHEN I AM READY, I WILL BE CALLING YOU.  cheers.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2014, 06:18 pm »
See if it hums when the speakers aren't hooked up.