LS9 mini GTG

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: LS9 mini GTG
« Reply #20 on: 3 Oct 2014, 12:31 am »
After RMAF, I'll be free until THE Show Newport next May so... :)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2014, 01:15 am »
Thanks Dave!  Slaving over a hot grill full of chicken, sausage and peppers as usual.   But the music and friends were all worth it.  It was great as we progressed into the program every upgrade showed its ability to let the music flow and sound better.  The Voodoo digital AC cables and the Uber shined like bright glowing warm stars.  You would have been smiling ear to ear. 

And now a special announcement!  Giants won!!!!!!!  Look out Washington.  See ya Friday. 

John did such a great job being the MC and guiding and directing the demos.  It was a democratic music selection at the beginning from the great high rez sampling that Cliff brought.  Everything was well picked but I'm not a big fan of Lyle Lovette.   The selections were audiophile and revealing but something about his voice just grates on me.  I digress.  John invested an enormous experience and knowledge in these demos.  A hearty thank you to John.  I thought his decisions as to what to change and when were spot on the money.  We were exposed to some very great leaps in musicality.  I know he would be just worthless and weak without Anne the great woman behind the man.    She really wears the ears in the family. 

The first upgrades had us listening to the Symphonic Mono Amps with all of Klaus Secret sauce in each one.  You could tell they are something special.  However we all had to give them a "get out of jail free card" as they truly never got the hours on them to really break in and boogey.    It think Sunil indicated that he got 50 hours on them.  I'm really looking forward to the next audio meet at Cliffs house and perhaps they will be done cooking by then.  After a good listen we moved to the BMC that Michael had brought.  The air missing in the Klaus Wonderkinds was all there in the BMC.   Not a fair fight the Symphonics had to duel with one arm tied behind their backs.  But the BMC is something special.   Detail, tight bass and presence was there for all to hear.  As someone pointed out earlier they got out of the way and let the music be heard.  I could have stopped right there and been very happy.  But just just got better. 

At this time I'd like to nominate the Matrix Winery 2012 new release Petite Syrah as the wine of the session.   Yummy! 

We missed you Hugh.   Your contribution to the last GTG was invaluable.  Thank you see you next time.
.....but that Rodney Strong.  :wine:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #22 on: 5 Oct 2014, 12:52 am »
Looks like way too much fun.  Sharing the joy is what brings music lovers into the audio fold.  Of course all of you guys were well folded before the get together and I am sure that the wine helped, too  :thumb:  Sunil is a real gentleman and a great host it seems.  Good onya, Sunil!!!  Good to see Steve there (Cheeseboy).

Parts and pieces for Sunil's room are on the way to me to get them on the way to him.  I would venture to say that things are gonna get even better. 

Thanks for the great write-up John.  Say hi to Anne for me.  I'll miss you guys at RMAF this year.  I don't think I will be there.  Too much work and too much life.

D
Thanks Dave - yeah it was a great time and I think the UberBUSS made a big push towards the final sound that impressed us all. I think the whole gang either has one or is in the process of getting one - even a Super one for somebody!

We're not going to make it to RMAF this year either. Debated back and forth for a long time, but as you say, life intrudes. Looks like we're going to make a serious effort at a life change that involves a move.

Would have loved to see the gang again - it's always a blast, just not to be this time. Hope you are getting towards a full recovery and maybe things will come together next year. Take care.

soundofrockets

« Reply #23 on: 5 Oct 2014, 02:03 am »
i am kind of waiting for impressions from Michael about his anti modes integration into my system. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #24 on: 5 Oct 2014, 04:52 pm »
Sorry to be off line but this old fart duster has been surfing.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #25 on: 7 Oct 2014, 07:52 pm »
i am kind of waiting for impressions from Michael about his anti modes integration into my system.

Me too.  Michael?  Michael?

How did you integrate the AntiMode in the system?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #26 on: 7 Oct 2014, 09:22 pm »
Me too.  Michael?  Michael?

How did you integrate the AntiMode in the system?
Me three!

I was hoping some of his pictures turned out better - I was having problems getting enough "flash" on the equipment and he said he could do better.  :icon_twisted: Want to hear his listening impressions as well.

Make sure you let me know about any future GTG's. We'll be in the Nipomo/SLO area on many occasions, so only a few more hours up to the Bay Area.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #27 on: 7 Oct 2014, 09:23 pm »
Sorry to be off line but this old fart duster has been surfing.
Photos! - I want photos!

Skiman

« Reply #28 on: 8 Oct 2014, 12:17 am »
Your system is quite similar to mine:

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 8 Oct 2014, 01:55 am »
Your system is quite similar to mine:

Wow, very nice .
There is a guy in town   who is planning on building a pair of LS9's, maybe  OB.  I may finally get the  opportunity to  have a listen.

-jay

Syrah

« Reply #30 on: 8 Oct 2014, 09:06 pm »
That looks like a perfect day to me.  I have LS9s that I'm biamping with four Dodd 120 monoblocks.  I am starting to think about how they might sound with a good solid state amp like a pair of Parasound JC-1s.  That, plus I live in the Caribbean, so not having 16 EL34s cranking has gotta help with the power bill!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #31 on: 9 Oct 2014, 04:12 am »
If it were me I'd stick with the tubes.  While John Curl is a brilliant designer I just really love the way tubes make the LS series sing.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #32 on: 11 Oct 2014, 12:06 am »
Photos! - I want photos!

It was so big we were tow in surfing at Mavericks.  Maverick was driving the plane.