Tracking Omega changes over the years

lousyreeds1

Tracking Omega changes over the years
« on: 28 Aug 2014, 08:18 am »

Hi folks,

I've got a lovely pair of Super 6 XRS Alnico speakers from 2008, and I'm trying to figure out whether I have the most current version of the drivers installed.  As far as I can tell the only change to the speakers since then has been the location of the footer spikes and new binding posts.  Is that correct, or have there been more extreme changes since 2008?  I've attached an image of the sticker on the back in case that's helpful.

Generally speaking I think it'd be a great project for someone to do a spreadsheet of all Omega models, when they were introduced, dropped, major changes and rebrandings, etc (I'm not necessarily volunteering! :lol:).  I'm finding it tough to keep track of what's what and something like this could be a useful tool.

Regards,
Oliver

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Tracking Omega changes over the years
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2014, 05:07 pm »
Hello lousyreeds1,

The difference between the current Alnico XRS and the Super 6XRS is: the Alnico XRS has the driver inset vs flush on the Super 6XRS, 3 spikes vs 4 on the Super 6XRS, name change because prospective buyers may get the wrong perception by reading Super 6 (6.5") when they see the less costly Super 7 line (7").  As far as binding posts go; in the last five years he has used the same binding post with the odd exception of sometimes using Vampire.  Binding posts may change overnight depending on availability, but so far he has kept the same one for years.

Rizlaw

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2014, 07:46 pm »
The OP's question about his speakers brings out a deficiency in the new website, which, IMO, should be corrected at some point. Nowhere on the new website is there a section provided for "complete" specifications for older and discontinued speakers, with photos. If, one day, I were to sell my pair of lovely Bubinga 3Es, I would be hard pressed to provide a perspective owner with the specifications; none came with my set of speakers. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2014, 04:21 am »
The OP's question about his speakers brings out a deficiency in the new website, which, IMO, should be corrected at some point. Nowhere on the new website is there a section provided for "complete" specifications for older and discontinued speakers, with photos. If, one day, I were to sell my pair of lovely Bubinga 3Es, I would be hard pressed to provide a perspective owner with the specifications; none came with my set of speakers.
Point taken.