Please help me find a DAC

brooklyn

Please help me find a DAC
« on: 16 Aug 2014, 06:02 pm »
Looking for suggestions for a new Dac to use in my 2 channel audio system.
I used a PS Audio DL lll for a while and sold it about a year ago and I haven’t
replaced it up till this point.

The PS Audio didn’t sound bad but was uninvolving and a little to laid back for
my taste. I’m using an older Sony S7000 top of the line DVD player as a transport.

I have no way of listening to any Dac’s because there are no audio shoppes in my area and
I have very limited experience with them so it’s been a grey area for me. I don’t want to spend
a lot of money on technology that seems to change every few months.

My price range is around $800.00 (top end) to get something (hopefully) decent. I’ve had my
eye on the Musical Fidelity M1Dac A for a while or perhaps wait for a good deal on the used market.

My on line dealer has a M2TECH E-Young DAC. 32/384kHz for sale and a local store near me that recones
speakers also sells vintage audio equipment has a Bel Canto Dac 3 with remote for a great price just sitting
on the shelf with no box or paperwork. I don’t mind buying used and have in the past but a good discount
doesn’t mean you get what you want but what you do get is some room for resale.

The sound I’m looking for would be a smooth and extended top end, I do like warmth but in a limited amount
and a great midrange also helps, bass needs to be firm. That’s not asking for much, is it?  My brain is on
overload trying to make sense from reading reviews.

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Please help me find a DAC
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2014, 06:15 pm »
You're talking about the DAC3 at Speaker Works huh... :)

Actually, I think that is a great choice for you. Goes right with what you are looking for. I had that DAC before buying the DAC3.5VB MKII and the original DAC3 was not embarrassed by it at all. Very musical DAC.

I don't use either of these anymore, but really enjoyed them both when I had them.

brooklyn

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2014, 04:25 am »
Yep, you nailed it, Speaker Works. I decided to think about it rather then just buy it.
The reviews are very good but there is a lack of bass authority, I have a pair of Magnepan
MMG’s speakers which are a little bass shy to begin with. I’m not sure if the Bel Canto Dac 3
would do my system justice, otherwise it might be a good match.

I guess your in the area?

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2014, 07:03 am »
Yes, I do the solid state audio repair/restoration work for Dave's customers. I am in Collinsville.

I never had a problem with the bass on either of the BC DAC's I had, but I have never had Magnapan speakers. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:22 am »
I had a similar BC 1.5 which I sold recently and I used it in a Magnepan system.  It's definitely smooth and the top end is reasonably extended.  But overall it's a bit on the dark & mellow side (Burr Brown DAC chip).  I wanted the extra bells and whistles as well as the cosmetics when I bought it, but if I had it to do over again, I think I would have bought a Hegel HD11.  It's still pretty smooth, but much more dynamic.  Works very well with a Gutwire 16 power cable to make it even smoother.  The current market used price is around $750 - and now with the HD12 announced, prices should come down further.  I actually bought an HD11 recently to use for a second system (Quad ESL 57!) and am quite happy.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2014, 04:16 am »
Looking for suggestions for a new Dac to use in my 2 channel audio system.
I used a PS Audio DL lll for a while and sold it about a year ago and I haven’t
replaced it up till this point.

The PS Audio didn’t sound bad but was uninvolving and a little to laid back for
my taste. I’m using an older Sony S7000 top of the line DVD player as a transport.

I have no way of listening to any Dac’s because there are no audio shoppes in my area and
I have very limited experience with them so it’s been a grey area for me. I don’t want to spend
a lot of money on technology that seems to change every few months.

My price range is around $800.00 (top end) to get something (hopefully) decent. I’ve had my
eye on the Musical Fidelity M1Dac A for a while or perhaps wait for a good deal on the used market.

My on line dealer has a M2TECH E-Young DAC. 32/384kHz for sale and a local store near me that recones
speakers also sells vintage audio equipment has a Bel Canto Dac 3 with remote for a great price just sitting
on the shelf with no box or paperwork. I don’t mind buying used and have in the past but a good discount
doesn’t mean you get what you want but what you do get is some room for resale.

The sound I’m looking for would be a smooth and extended top end, I do like warmth but in a limited amount
and a great midrange also helps, bass needs to be firm. That’s not asking for much, is it?  My brain is on
overload trying to make sense from reading reviews.

Take a look on the audiocircle Trading post site.

Audio by Van Alstine Hybrid vision DAC.
 Go to the AVA site and read what Frank has to say about this DAC
 If you are interested contact me.

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:42 pm »
Hi Jacher, thank you for the info on the Hegel Dac, I would have never considered
it otherwise and It is certainly in my price range. I alway appreciate your input.

Charles, I’ve heard about Van Alstine products since my younger days when I started
out in this hobby but never had the pleasure of listening to anything by them. I will give
the Vision Dac some thought before I make a final decision. Thank you for brining this
tube dac to my attention. 

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2014, 04:42 pm »
An older DAC that I think would deliver what you're looking for sound wise is the Channel Islands VDA 2. It has limited connectivity, but for sheer performance in your price range it's killer. These can be had with the upgraded VAC 1 power supply on the used market for $400ish.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2014, 06:20 pm »
Hi Jacher, thank you for the info on the Hegel Dac, I would have never considered
it otherwise and It is certainly in my price range. I alway appreciate your input.

Charles, I’ve heard about Van Alstine products since my younger days when I started
out in this hobby but never had the pleasure of listening to anything by them. I will give
the Vision Dac some thought before I make a final decision. Thank you for brining this
tube dac to my attention.

Glad too help.  Hegel is a bit under the radar here in the US, but very well regarded in Europe (made in Norway). 

They shot themselves in the foot w/ dumb distribution / sales channel choice.  What this means is that many dealers are dumping it, so you can call them & can even get demo models with warranty for very cheap.  So no dealing w/ super boutiquey or china brand dacs to get a deal!