Integrated Amp

BobM

Integrated Amp
« on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:28 pm »
My daughter Kelly tried to hook up my vintage NAD 3055 integrated to some speakers, but she crossed the speaker wires. I replaced the blown fuse and now only the right channel is working. I don't think the cost of getting it fixed would be worthwhile.

Soooooo. What should I look for boys? I need it to be able to switch between indoor and outdoor speakers, so this limits things (unless I get some kind of external switch box). Cost is definitely an issue - I want to keep this fairly cheap. Tubes would be nice, which is why I'm posting here.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Integrated Amp
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2014, 10:58 am »
Looks the output transistor from the NAD have blow.
It cost almost nothing, the labor may be something $.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2014, 01:03 pm »
Yeah, that's what I would guess. I've had this little gem since the early 80's. I re-capped it about 10 years ago or so and it still sang sweetly. It will be missed, but it really doesn;t owe me anything at all for the many years of great music it shared with me. May it rest in peace!  :angel:

I've picked up an Onix SP3 tubed integrated to replace it. Expecting it to arrive on Friday.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2014, 08:33 pm »
Congrats for the purchase.

AudioSoul

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2014, 12:52 am »
Congrats on the new purchase. You will love the sound of tubes. What are you going to do about the speaker switching issue?

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2014, 01:16 pm »
I picked up an inexpensive switch box from MCM Electric. It's working fairly well for my purposes (non-audiophile).

My wife commented that the new Onix sound so much more "organic" and full than the old NAD. She said the NAD had an electronic sheen over it when it got louder that became annoying and this new one doesn't. I guess that's all the the good side of things.