Would you / have you sold your ripped CDs?

charmerci

Re: Would you / have you sold your ripped CDs?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Aug 2014, 12:16 am »
Another way of looking at it is - if you buy the CD/music, then artist gets their money (hopefully) but whether you keep it or sell it, the point is moot to both the artist and the company have gotten their dough from you because whether you sell it or not will not make a difference to either the company or the artist.

On the other hand, even though it is perfectly legal to sell the copy second-hand, that would be "less fruitful" to both the company and the artist because that would potentially be one less sale.

BobC

« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:02 pm »
I have all of my CDs and in some cases, where the original was damaged (when my kids were little), I purchased new copies of the same material.

All get ripped to my music server these days and the CDs are stored.

HsvHeelFan

+1 here

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:29 pm »
They are all in boxes in my storage part of the basement.

They do take up a considerable amount of space, but I keep them anyway.

Robin Hood

« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2014, 07:10 pm »
I might if I need the space to buy more CDs.  I have my favorites that I will keep forever but I have many CDs that I will probably give away or sell for no more than $1 each.  Of course I could throw these CDs in the trash but I view that as a waste and perhaps depriving another music lover. 

When I'm old and gray, perhaps in a nursing home or in retirement in down-scaled life, I will probably still be listening to my ripped music and who knows where the my CDs will be.  I'll consider myself lucky if I can still hear and remember where I am and who I am.

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2014, 09:28 pm »
That's what is not so clear...from whom, exactly?  If you are going to say the artists, then also answer how it is different than just selling the CD and **not** keeping a copy, from the artists' point of view?

I understand the music industry would like to sell more new copies, rather than have people buying music used. However, they lost that battle, it's certainly legal to sell a CD or a book.

Brad

« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2014, 09:37 pm »
How about offering a ripping "service" and then keeping copies for yourself of everything you rip?

JEaton

« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2014, 10:06 pm »
How about offering a ripping "service" and then keeping copies for yourself of everything you rip?

Are you saying that would be a good idea, or are you asking if it's legal?

It's neither.

dB Cooper

« Reply #27 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:29 am »
I have given away CD's and kept the digital file(s) only. Surely that is not unethical. But if I bought those copies secondhand, was I ripping off anyone?

OzarkTom

« Reply #28 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:47 pm »
I buy all that I can at garage sales for 25-50 cents each. Who knows, someday they might be collector's items. But these give me very cheap music for now. :D

ClefChef

« Reply #29 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:11 pm »

Check out "Free SACD ripping service" thread  :green: