BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #240 on: 8 Sep 2014, 03:40 pm »
hmm, so when you say "...our DAC (2 units) ..." is that referring to the BDA-1 and BDA-2?

Also wouldn't a transport only be very similar to the upcoming BOT? What would be the difference?

HI

The BOT connects to a BDP - the Transport connects to any DAC.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #241 on: 8 Sep 2014, 03:50 pm »
HI

The BOT connects to a BDP - the Transport connects to any DAC.

james

Is the connection between the BOT and BDP going to be a proprietary connection?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #242 on: 8 Sep 2014, 04:37 pm »

Yes - the BOT is designed to go with the BDP as the BDP plays the CD through the electronics of the BDP or rips the CD to an attached drive on the BDP. So the digital processing is done by the BDP not the BOT.

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #243 on: 8 Sep 2014, 06:14 pm »
Yes - the BOT is designed to go with the BDP as the BDP plays the CD through the electronics of the BDP or rips the CD to an attached drive on the BDP. So the digital processing is done by the BDP not the BOT.

james

James, not sure if it's been asked before, but what will be the Canadian retail price for the BOT?

R. Daneel

« Reply #244 on: 8 Sep 2014, 06:34 pm »
James,

a pure CD player would be my best bet. I don't exactly know how many BCD-1 players were sold but the fact that CD market is declining should not be a significant factor in the decision-making as you will surely not make 50.000 units. There would be enough of those that would make the project worthwhile.

As for the AKM chip being under-utilized, the same thing was with the Crystal chip. It too offered resolution far greater than the CD standard.

CD transport is a niche-market, it always was. Perhaps you'd offer it with an optional integrated DAC with digital inputs so that both the CD playback side and the DAC side could be used independently but this would certainly be a great departure from the BCD-1 foundation.

A CD transport would not make much sense I'm afraid. You need an external DAC and people with DACs have already moved to computer-based systems.

Just my opinion!

Cheers!
Antun

brucek

« Reply #245 on: 8 Sep 2014, 07:03 pm »
I have no aversion to CD players (attacking my view will not change the facts - I am fine with any other opinions and could care less). My only point relates to the reality that CD sales vs. digital downloads and streaming services have not been doing well.  Auto manufacturers are already getting rid of CD players which can only mean that that the demand for discs vs. those other forms of music will decline more rapidly. As the demand for CD discs decline, this can lead to other actions from record labels.  For those that think there will be no changes (which is the point of the survey), it is not going to happen that way.  High end stand alone CD players have already been disappearing brand by brand for that reason.  Over time this likely will continue.

Yeah, good observation with regards to automobile CD players, although I wouldn't really qualify audio in a car as critical listening ;)

I actually just bought a new 2014 vehicle last week with an upgraded factory sound system, and it still has a CD player. But as you pointed out, it also has Bluetooth streaming capability and several USB inputs available. I certainly transferred my latest CD-r disks to the new car, but haven't used them yet as it's hard to compete with my 32 Gig USB stick that has over 1000 songs of Lossless WMA on it that I can access on the car's 7" entertainment screen (along with the album and artist name and cover art displayed). The digital capability makes it fairly hard to imagine I'll ever use the CD player in that car.

But, in my home, where I have a ~$2500 CD player and the ability to do critical listening, I think CD players still have a place. In ten years, I don't know, but today, I think a high end CD player is worthwhile. I just don't know the economics of a company deciding today to create one and expect a profit.

brucek

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #246 on: 8 Sep 2014, 07:18 pm »
I'm in the no disc player required camp.

As for whether or not to create one, it does appear there is some market for it. If it can be done as a near drop-in to the old BCD-1 (thus not costing much in R&D), it'd probably be worth it.

If not, I'd think you'd be ahead to make an all-in-one player. If that becomes the case, perhaps a Bluray player (BBP?) that can do SACD, Redbook CD, and DVD and Bluray based movies?

- Garrett

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #247 on: 8 Sep 2014, 07:18 pm »
James, not sure if it's been asked before, but what will be the Canadian retail price for the BOT?

Not sure yet as we are still deciding on which drive.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #248 on: 8 Sep 2014, 08:05 pm »
James,

i'd say that a cd player is 'better' than a transport. some would want the Bryston sound through the analog outs. if this new player has digital outs then the customer can compare the sound with an external dac and make a final decision.

al.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #249 on: 9 Sep 2014, 12:59 am »

It's not proprietary, if you plug the bot into a computer it'll recognize as a standard USB blu-Ray burner and your computer may even mention it's USB 3.0 device (We are only supporting it as a USB 2.0 device).  The BDP uses a combination of open source programs for playback with Bryston developed software for control and feedback.

The BDP has for sometime had the ability to playback audio cd's using a standard USB cd, DVD or blu-Ray drive.  Keep in mind apple's USB super drive is proprietary and won't work.  The bot is simply a drive made by Bryston with our name on it.

Cheers
Chris

Rod_S

« Reply #250 on: 9 Sep 2014, 01:17 am »
It's not proprietary, if you plug the bot into a computer it'll recognize as a standard USB blu-Ray burner and your computer may even mention it's USB 3.0 device (We are only supporting it as a USB 2.0 device).  The BDP uses a combination of open source programs for playback with Bryston developed software for control and feedback.

The BDP has for sometime had the ability to playback audio cd's using a standard USB cd, DVD or blu-Ray drive.  Keep in mind apple's USB super drive is proprietary and won't work.  The bot is simply a drive made by Bryston with our name on it.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the clarification.

Phil A

« Reply #251 on: 9 Sep 2014, 03:16 am »
I think CD players still have a place. In ten years, I don't know, but today, I think a high end CD player is worthwhile. I just don't know the economics of a company deciding today to create one and expect a profit.

brucek

I agree - the format has been around too long for a high player to become irrelevant in the short run.  My question is weather it makes sense to include at least something like a digital input.  I noted earlier in the threat that I had a DAC that was about 15 years old 5 years ago when I sold it and it still worked fine and sounded good even vs. my BCD-1 I had at the time, although the bass was not as good in the DAC.  I'd think a digital input could makes something relevant for a longer period of time.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #252 on: 9 Sep 2014, 06:21 am »
Phil has a point. Digital out and/or digital in would make the player fit a higher number of customers.

However, I think James is talking about using a new drive to drop into the old BCD-1, without re-inventing the product. If that is correct, it would have digital out.

Is that correct James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #253 on: 9 Sep 2014, 08:32 am »
Phil has a point. Digital out and/or digital in would make the player fit a higher number of customers.

However, I think James is talking about using a new drive to drop into the old BCD-1, without re-inventing the product. If that is correct, it would have digital out.

Is that correct James?

No it would be a different design than the BCD as the DACs have changed since.  Remember also that a Digital in would be 44/1 16BIT (CD quality) only.

james

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #254 on: 9 Sep 2014, 12:19 pm »
Yes we would use the new AKM DAC but at 44.1 16 Bit it would be under utilized of course.  It seems to me that most folks are looking for more than a basic CD Player - IE - USB in - COAX in - SACD etc.

Which makes it a completely different product than a standard CD Player.

I am wondering if a CD 'Transport ONLY' in combination with our DAC (2 units) makes more sense.  That way you have the benefit of both a redbook CD Player and a high resolution playback DAC?

james

Thanks for the info - any unit I've heard which utilizes that AKM DAC has sounded very good. It made a big difference in the BDA-2 compared to it's predecessor. Not sure about the viability of a "transport-only" unless you were planning to do something really special but that might start a real avalanche.
 It would give us a reason to jaw here, though.  :green: One-box vs. two box, DAC posibilities, how to connect them, what drive... it would take up a ton'o bandwidth.  :D

D.D.

werd

« Reply #255 on: 9 Sep 2014, 02:01 pm »
Thanks for the info - any unit I've heard which utilizes that AKM DAC has sounded very good. It made a big difference in the BDA-2 compared to it's predecessor. Not sure about the viability of a "transport-only" unless you were planning to do something really special but that might start a real avalanche.
 It would give us a reason to jaw here, though.  :green: One-box vs. two box, DAC posibilities, how to connect them, what drive... it would take up a ton'o bandwidth.  :D

D.D.

Back demon (holds up fingers to make a cross) back!

werd

« Reply #256 on: 9 Sep 2014, 05:54 pm »
 :lol: jk

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #257 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:10 pm »
No it would be a different design than the BCD as the DACs have changed since.  Remember also that a Digital in would be 44/1 16BIT (CD quality) only.

james    Roger that James......"sounds' good to me...............  :drool::REDBOOK

budt

« Reply #258 on: 12 Sep 2014, 12:10 am »
   I haven't read this thread so  maybe this has already been covered.
 If Bryston really wants to hit a home run they need to( IMO) build a cd/sacd player with accessible dac/usb dac which will do dsd. They also can't take 2-3 years to make it happen. I know this would be a very tall order for Bryston as it seems to take them a long time to bring anything involving digital to market.
 Just my opinion.....

Phil A

« Reply #259 on: 12 Sep 2014, 12:17 am »
   I haven't read this thread so  maybe this has already been covered.
 If Bryston really wants to hit a home run they need to( IMO) build a cd/sacd player with accessible dac/usb dac which will do dsd. They also can't take 2-3 years to make it happen. I know this would be a very tall order for Bryston as it seems to take them a long time to bring anything involving digital to market.
 Just my opinion.....

I don't at all disagree (and have noted for me personally a CD only player is passe).  However, the thread title is 'CD Player Survey,' and therefore I've indicated it may be better to have at least a digital input.  The complexities of doing a player with many formats involve a different drive (and James has noted they have found one for CD), different clocks, not to mention software needed. So perhaps a separate thread might be best for a Bryston product wish list.