Grado headphones best Beats and Bose !

Guy 13

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Grado headphones best Beats and Bose !
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2014, 08:39 pm »
I would hope they beat Bose/Beats.  I actually listened to a couple of Beats and Bose phones before the buyout and couldn't believe how colored and veiled the Beats were.  They sounded like $20 phones.  The Bose noise canceling model I listened to were better than the Beats, but I purchase the Sennheiser HD203's as I felt they were much better and way cheaper.  The 203's have been an excellent kick around portable budget set for me.  The cheaper Grados sound better than any of the above, so a no brainer that the 325's sound better.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2014, 07:01 am »
Grados will always be my first love, and I'll always own at least one pair.  :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2014, 07:36 am »
Hi all.
Even if I am the originator of this original post, I am not a fan of Grado headphones.
I bought a used/demo pair 25 years ago for 100 $ and did not liked them.
Sound was good, but no more than that.
The foam pad desegregated after only two years and they were on the ears,
not around the ears, they were not comfortable to/on my head.
However, according to many owners they are excellent and unless I am wrong,
the hi-end models are still made in the US of A.
Even if you don't personally like a product, it does not mean that product is no good
an d that what I think about Grado.
Maybe if I would give Grado a new try, maybe I would like them, but I still don't like their look,
that's why I bought the Sennheiser HD650.
I would agree with many in saying that Beat and Bose are over priced.

Guy 13

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2014, 08:06 pm »
I bought my first pair used and a new set of bowl earpads came at the same time as the phones, I didn't take them off the first day I don't think....lol. Imagine if Grado changed out the foam on all the models with the slab-o-foam and used bowl pads instead...alot more folks would have them.

I'll never sell the ones I modded, that John sent me, they sound very nice. But I want some PS500's in the worst way and just can't throw down $500 on cans. The highest price I've paid for hp's was $300 for my HE5LE's. I've always been lucky and a deal would pop up...........
Hey zepp which would you get in the SR series now that the changes are being made..SR125e's...????
 I love the silver/pewterish color....for them..got to run listen to them now....LOL.... :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2014, 08:38 pm »
The giant pads make the Grados tolerable comfort-wise. Tried a pair of the top end (PS1000? forget which) at CAF two years ago. Pretty good but still not quite my cup of tea. Guy13 is right though: You go with what you like.

Bose is OK but overpriced; Beats are straight-up caca IMHO.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2014, 08:48 pm »
I just use a set of the cheapie Grados for the laptop but they always sound really good to me.
I can't imagine the other two brands being anything to write home about.

brooklyn

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2014, 06:51 am »
The only headphones I ever used over the years are the AKG's, I like them very much.
I have been wanting to try a pair of Grado's for a long time to see what the fuss in about.
I might just have to buy a pair.

Thanks for the info Guy.

persisting1

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2014, 08:09 am »
Yahoo is a site that has a large readership. This is a good thing. At least it allows the masses to be exposed to other manufacturers like Grado.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2014, 12:09 pm »
Yahoo is a site that has a large readership. This is a good thing. At least it allows the masses to be exposed to other manufacturers like Grado.

And encouraging that the Consumers Union is reviewing something in our backyard.

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2014, 12:29 pm »
And encouraging that the Consumers Union is reviewing something in our backyard.
Hi JLM.
May I ask you to re-phrase the above.
Sorry, but I don't get your idea.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2014, 12:39 pm »
The giant pads make the Grados tolerable comfort-wise. Tried a pair of the top end (PS1000? forget which) at CAF two years ago. Pretty good but still not quite my cup of tea. Guy13 is right though: You go with what you like.

Bose is OK but overpriced; Beats are straight-up caca IMHO.

Hi dB Cooper.
Even if I had the 5 to 10,000 USD to buy the Stax SR09,
I would not buy them because they are the best,
 but because I love the sound and they are comfortable.
Now, that's way of thinking, unfortunately, cannot/does not apply to my
HD650 purchase, because I made the big mistake of relying too much
on reviews.
It's not because a product id a best seller
and lots, lots of people like it, it means you will also like it.
This is especially applicable to music/sound.
By the way, did I say I love the HD600?
Yes, I did, well sorry to repeat...

Guy 13

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2014, 10:22 pm »
The only headphones I ever used over the years are the AKG's, I like them very much.
I have been wanting to try a pair of Grado's for a long time to see what the fuss in about.
I might just have to buy a pair.

Thanks for the info Guy.
I note that your username is brooklyn, which also happens to be the name of the city where the Grado headphones are made. If you live near the factory, maybe they wouldn't mind a try-before-you-buy visit. Couldn't hurt to ask...

Guy13: If I win the lottery, I would put an order in at HeadRoom that they would frame and hang on the wall...  :lol:

brooklyn

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2014, 05:01 am »
I would love to stop at the factory but Brooklyn is a distant memory for me.
I've been living in the MidWest for 13 years now. I rarely go back to NY for a visit.

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2014, 05:08 am »
I bought my first pair used and a new set of bowl earpads came at the same time as the phones, I didn't take them off the first day I don't think....lol. Imagine if Grado changed out the foam on all the models with the slab-o-foam and used bowl pads instead...alot more folks would have them.

I'll never sell the ones I modded, that John sent me, they sound very nice. But I want some PS500's in the worst way and just can't throw down $500 on cans. The highest price I've paid for hp's was $300 for my HE5LE's. I've always been lucky and a deal would pop up...........
Hey zepp which would you get in the SR series now that the changes are being made..SR125e's...????
 I love the silver/pewterish color....for them..got to run listen to them now....LOL.... :thumb:

Edwardo!! I haven't heard the new e series yet, but really eager to do so. There have been a few reports on head-fi about the PS1000s really benefiting from the improvements, so I may have to take a trip down to my dealer at some point and check 'em out.  :thumb: