Subs for Martin-Logan CLS IIa's

davidwat

Subs for Martin-Logan CLS IIa's
« on: 12 Jul 2014, 02:09 am »
Before I sell these bassless wonders, does GR research have ideas about well controlled subs for relatively extended bass? I suspect I need to start at 100hz or so I don't need great spl's  or massive deep bass, but they need to be fast to match with these electrostatics. I suspect I'll need two.
Thanks,

David - Dallas

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Subs for Martin-Logan CLS IIa's
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2014, 01:57 pm »
We have the fastest and most controlled subs money can buy, and they will match perfectly with the Martin-Logans.

I have 12' and 8" woofers designed specifically for open baffle applications and have servo control. And the 12's will play flat to 20Hz and -3db down in the teens.

And if you are in Dallas, then you are 2 hours away from a demo of them.

davidwat

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2018, 10:44 pm »
Danny, do you still make an 8" OB servo sub kit? Do you have specs to compare to 12 "?

mlundy57

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2018, 12:03 am »
To match those Martin Logans I'd recommend H-Frames with three SW-12-16FR drivers per side.  If your preamp has balanced outputs (or you think you might get one that does, use the A370-XLR2 amps otherwise you can use either the A370PEQ or A370PEQ3. Absolutely, hands down the best bass you will find to match your Martin Logans.

Even if the 8" OB drivers (SW-08-16FR) are available, go with the 12's. You won't regret it.

Mike

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2018, 12:38 am »
The GR Research subs do a better job with electrostic speakers than the Martin Logan subs (or bass drivers) :lol:

rockdrummer

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2018, 03:43 pm »
You came to the right place!
Ben

Wallacefl

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2018, 10:18 pm »
Just a suggestion from a CLSZ2 owner...let the Logan’s run full range and bring the sub in at 40-45 hz.