What 5-channel HT amps should I consider?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: What 5-channel HT amps should I consider?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jun 2014, 07:38 pm »
Interesting.  Out of curiosity, which Anthem amps have you listened to?

None.  I'm not fond of the cost associated with shipping heavy amps to Canada for OEM service, and tend to (possibly wrongly) believe service would be more convenient here. 

I have positive experience with the independent (not OEM) Sunfire service team in the US.  I presume there are many multiples more Sunfire amps than Anthem, and hence Sunfire service folks more likely to be familiar with issues.  I know the Sunfire product well and would predict it is the likely best performing of the bunch.  I'm biased, I admit.  The Sunfire will cost less in Mains Current and run cooler, on that I would bet serious money, but it's easy enough to check idle and peak current/wattage.  Some Sunfire vintage later than the one mentioned have issues, but I owned the vintage mentioned, which is solid except the OEM electrolytic are past average shelf life.   

Bob's is among the world's greatest living designers, and most prolific.

I have absolutely nothing against the Anthem and would own one, just not my likely first choice.  In fact, I'll edit my post and delete the omission text.  The faster I needed the amp the more likely I'd consider a used Anthem.  Admittedly, used Sunfire seem to increase in used price because of all the items I listed above.  If I never sold my Sunfire ten years ago I could still get the same money for it or slightly less!       

Electrolytic shelf life could be as low as 15 years, especially if "dry" (uncharged/unused).  Any buyer of any used component this age or older must be financially prepared to replace every such cap no already replaced. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:16 am »
Glad I could be of assistance re: the idea of using your Anthem receiver in combo w/ a 2-3 channel amp. 

Of the brands you mentioned I'd still go with Anthem.  Parasound Halo is very good for the money, but I know from talking directly with a former Halo dealer that they have a nasty habit of totally melting down if you make the minor mistake of touching speaker spades.  For whatever reason they didn't build in fail safe's that would better protect the amp. This is the main reason he doesnt want to carry them anymore as it has happened on too many occasions so far.  If you do buy a Halo, be very careful with the speaker hook up or use bananas.

With an Anthem amp you don't have to ship them off the Canada : I know a very well regarded repair tech who's been repairing them for over 20 years right here in Northern Virginia - not that he's had to work on many as they have been pretty reliable.  He's been impressed with build quality and would know better than I.

Based on very limited personal listening experience with Anthem and Halo amps, I would also say that the Anthem amps are a bit warmer and more musical. Lastly, it's possible that if you use the Anthem receiver in combo w/ an external amp, the Anthem would be voiced more like your Anthem receiver.  Especially useful if you decide to get a 2 channel Anthem amp where the voicing between main two speakers and center channel becomes more important.

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jun 2014, 08:11 pm »
Had a slight change of events.  I'm picking up a preowned Vincent SAV-P200 tomorrow locally here.  I still have my Rotels up for sale but couldn't pass on this one.  I'm sure I'll have to turn up the AC this summer to support owning it but wow it is beautiful and I'm sure sounds better than it looks!

geowak

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jun 2014, 08:50 pm »
Let me know how you like it. Funny thing, I was suggesting a Parasound Halo amp, but in my other audio system I have a Line Magnetic Audio tube amp that was built in China. It sounds really great, based on the older Western Electric designs.

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #24 on: 1 Jul 2014, 04:05 am »
Will do.  It is massive, 10.5 in tall, almost 20 in deep, 100lbs, looks like what I think an amp should look like in the back of my mind.  Supposedly sounds incredible so we shall see!

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #25 on: 2 Jul 2014, 02:42 am »
Just got home and played some of my favorite FLAC with it, wow it sounds great!!!  And huge, pretty sure I pulled something carrying it in.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 2 Jul 2014, 02:52 am »
Photo big enough?  I think we can count the threads in your carpet.    :lol:

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #27 on: 2 Jul 2014, 03:00 am »
Darnit, I assumed AC had photo resizing...sorry about that, fixing now :)

Edit: Whew, there we go!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #28 on: 2 Jul 2014, 03:01 am »
Dupe post.  D'oh!   :duh:

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #29 on: 3 Jul 2014, 04:25 pm »
Another pic to show the scale of this thing...don't judge my wire nest, cleaning that up this weekend :)

orientalexpress

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jul 2014, 05:18 pm »
That thing should come with 4 wheels ,holy crap  :o 100lbs   :thumb:

lapsan

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #31 on: 4 Jul 2014, 05:14 pm »
That thing should come with 4 wheels ,holy crap  :o 100lbs   :thumb:

lapsan

No kidding!  Picked up a Bell'O stand yesterday that barely fits it.  Cramming it on the lower shelf was not a simple task!