Song Tower Audition in Buffalo Area and Questions

jupiterboy

Song Tower Audition in Buffalo Area and Questions
« on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:10 pm »
Hi Song Circle,

I am shopping for some speakers for a med (13 ft deep) room. I would love to listen to a pair of Song Towers, and would like to know if there is anyone in my general area that does sometimes allow people to listen.

I am also curious about the crossover design and general coherency of the speakers.

Cheers,

Mark

mick wolfe

Re: Song Tower Audition in Buffalo Area and Questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:29 pm »
Can't help with the audition, but can tell you the ST's are very user friendly. Have used them with both tubes and solid state. A 22 watt SET will get them cook'in in a medium size room for instance. I can only assume the X-over design is superb as they have an effortless presentation and seem even more efficient than the stated 88 db. Your room depth will work to your advantage as I don't feel they're a good "near field " candidate. I've found them to disappear much better when seated roughly 8 feet or more from the front plane of the speakers.

jupiterboy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:43 pm »
Thanks for the input, Mick. I am big on coherency, and obviously Dunlavy and Lipinski utilize this sort of design. I am assuming first or fourth order crossovers, but would love to hear specifics and the sense of the designer concerning coherency, which is a big crazy controversial topic, but still.

JonnyFive

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:46 pm »
Sorry I can't help with the audition but hopefully someone can.

Coherent, neutral, disappearing.... are words I would use to describe the MTM transmission line design combined with the Dennis Murphy crossover.  I listened to an HT2-TL at a hair over 8 feet and I thought it was an incredible presentation.  I think the Songtowers or Songtowers with the ribbon tweeter would be great in your sized room.  Then there's always the SCST if you want to dig a bit deeper in the base.  But without a doubt the base Songtowers represent an amazing value.

Dennis Murphy designs the crossovers, he can chime in to answer any specific questions you have about it.  I believe it's LR2 or LR4 between the M/T.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2014, 06:27 pm »
Thanks for the input, Mick. I am big on coherency, and obviously Dunlavy and Lipinski utilize this sort of design. I am assuming first or fourth order crossovers, but would love to hear specifics and the sense of the designer concerning coherency, which is a big crazy controversial topic, but still.

JonnyFive has your answer......the man to contact is Dennis.  He's somewhat of a x-over wizard. Coherency is first rate when given the proper breathing room.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2014, 06:48 pm »
I'd presume you checked here  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20721.0, but if not poke around. There may be someone in your neighborhood.  :thumb:

jupiterboy

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2014, 07:14 pm »
I did do a search for Buffalo in a few threads, but maybe someone is around that it didn’t turn up. Thanks all for the responses.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2014, 01:57 pm »
I did do a search for Buffalo in a few threads, but maybe someone is around that it didn’t turn up. Thanks all for the responses.

Contact Jim Salk and ask him if he knows of an owner in your area who is willing to let you hear them.

The crossovers are 4th order LR, and coherence is a word Dennis Murphy uses to describe his goals with speaker designs.  I don't know if your use of coherence means the same as his.  He aims for a flat frequency response across the midrange with as few as possible dips and peaks, both on and off axis.  The result is a neutral and coherent sound, with a wide sound stage accompanied by clearly locatable instruments within the sound stage.

Dennis's ability with crossovers has been widely known and admired among DIY speaker builders for many years.  One person, after hearing one of Dennis's designs, said that he would do well to abandon his own design efforts and just build what Dennis did.

JDoyle

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2014, 01:58 pm »

I've looked as well and there isn't to my knowledge.  I live in the Southtown's and am planning a visit to the factory later this summer to compare the E3's to the SS8's.  It's only a five hour drive from Buffalo... not too bad, you could do it same day.

~jd

jupiterboy

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2014, 02:19 pm »
I've looked as well and there isn't to my knowledge.  I live in the Southtown's and am planning a visit to the factory later this summer to compare the E3's to the SS8's.  It's only a five hour drive from Buffalo... not too bad, you could do it same day.

~jd

Looks like that is what it is down to. Let me know if you need someone to split the driving.

JDoyle

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2014, 03:04 pm »
We have some friends who live nearby, so it will be a 3-4 day visit for us. 
I will keep in touch in case I do a followup trip though.