CONDITIONER: A Line Filter for Your Clarinet

hagtech

« on: 24 Aug 2004, 10:08 pm »
For my "show" system I have designed an AC line filter box to match the Clarinet and Cornet2 chassis.  It's pretty easy to build and it nothing more than some professional grade line filters and outlets put into a box.  Decent and clean power is always helpful for audio.

The bottom unit is the "Conditioner".  I added a switch to the front so I could power up the rack all at once.  For construction details, download the following:

http://www.vacutrace.com/pdf/conditioner.pdf

jh :)

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2004, 10:51 pm »
Very cool!  Is that monoblock amps I see there?

Levi

Re: CONDITIONER: A Line Filter for Your Clarinet
« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2004, 12:11 am »
Excellent publication Jim!

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2004, 04:55 am »
Yep, those are the "Cymbal" monoblocks.  I'll be using these prototypes at the RMAF show.  Soon after will be in production.  Ten watts of all triode power and no feedback.  Tube rectification with choke regulation for B+.  Super quiet design.  Perfect for high efficiency speakers.  You can mount independently (mirror images), stacked as shown, or bolted together to fit a 19" rack.  Add rack mount handles if you need.  Hopefully next year I'll finish the matching DAC (Chime).  

I have a preliminary web page for more info...

http://www.hagtech.com/cymbal.html

tianguis

Power Conditioning and Price
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2004, 01:02 am »
Jim:
      I use balanced power in my system (Transcendent BPS), with Bybees on the outputs. It also has some filtering. Makes a large difference. What's the advantage, if any, with the commercial units from Mouser?

Regards,
Larry Welsh

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2004, 05:08 am »
The commercial line filters use "baluns" which tend to offer balancing, at least for the higher frequencies.  Not like running through an isolation transformer.

I hear the Bybees work best in power lines.  AC, DC, anywhere in the supply lines.  Odd.  I can't figure that one out.  

And I can't tell you how the Conditioner sounds.  I never ran my rack without it.  Might not have done anything.  On the other hand, clearly there will be suppresion of power line hash.  And the idle noise coming out of the speakers is miniscule.  With my hear 1" from the Fostex cone, I can barely hear any noise.  Just a tad bit of hiss.  No radio, no squeals or buzz.

I can only assume adding Bybees on the outlets would help.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2004, 01:37 pm »
I'd be interested to know what speakers you are planning to run with that setup.   Should be a very cool system.    I really like the look of the racked up components.  Very cool idea!  I think you got a winning product line on your hands.

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2004, 05:45 am »
Just got a pair of "Horns" from Ed at The Horn Shoppe.  I really like the theory behind his design.  No crossover, single point-source driver, back-loaded horn to keep excursion (and doppler distortion) to a minimum, and pumping the horn mouth out the rear to minimize interference patterns with the front wave.  And a nice high impedance.

I'm impressed with the big wall of sound these little speakers can put out.  They are very placement sensitive and require wall or corner mounting to work the horn.  No deep bass, but vocals are incredible.  Still breaking them in.  I bought them to use at the RMAF show.

hagtech

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2004, 04:03 am »
Yeah baby.  Better trannies on the Cymbal amps really helped.  Sound really came alive.  I am now getting 15Hz to 95kHz through these amps cleanly, with no feedback.  

jh :D

Ed Schilling

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2004, 07:48 pm »
Jim,
Your Hornline is ready..waiting on the amp. It will "fix" placement problems. I hope to get it out to Wayne sometime next week. Play those things hard......and by hard, I mean this.......here is an avi of the Horns, 18 feet away. NOT clipping and kicking out Devo! The amp is my Pass X150. You will get a few db less with the Cymbal....but not much! The "doppler" limits them as much as amplifier power. They will come close to this with my 300B. They are not fragile!
Ed
http://www.thehornshoppe.com/spl.avi
no subwoofer, just the Horns, the meter is set to the 100db scale. 100 is with the meter centered. 106 is the last number to the right