Another cheap preamp w/ remote thread

ooheadsoo

Another cheap preamp w/ remote thread
« on: 3 Jun 2014, 12:02 am »
I'm looking for recommendations for a sub $200 preamp with remote.  Tuner would be a plus. 

Now I've bought my share of vintage equipment and have been burned by the condition more than once, so I appreciate all the adcom gtp/gfp/yamaha c/kenwood c/nad suggestions, but fair warning, I'll think twice before taking the plunge this time. 

My current system:
Speakers: SPTech TP3.x
Preamp: Nuforce P-8
Amp: DAC2480 (or whatever the model number is, I cant remember)
Source: musical fidelity v-dac / PC

The nuforce is a fantastic preamp but the 100-step volume control is too fine for quick changes and the wifey is complaining.  I suppose if I factored in the value after selling the nuforce, the budget could increase...but that's a great preamp...I don't want to let it go.  Anyway, I can be flexible.

I've seen the recs for the PGA2311 off of ebay, and the hlly amk as well.  Any thoughts to how they compare?  What about these new chinese units vs the old vintage 90s/00s gear?  Not really interested in 80s gear, too many age issues.  Will any of them beat the nuforce?

ooheadsoo

Re: Another cheap preamp w/ remote thread
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:04 am »
In the meantime, I picked up one of those pioneer 912s.  Definitely within my budget!  I'll probably just try it for the preamp section, but I'm not sure if it will fit in my space...Recs still welcome.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:42 am »
No remote, I wish it did, but watch for a used IFI Itube for around $200. After you hear this one you won't look any further. Then in the future add an Astron power suppy and then get it cryo'd for about $20.

Killer! :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2014, 03:22 am »
In the meantime, I picked up one of those pioneer 912s.  Definitely within my budget!  I'll probably just try it for the preamp section, but I'm not sure if it will fit in my space...Recs still welcome.

6 3/4" H x 16 3/4" W x 16" D but allowing for IC's it'll be deeper....

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2014, 02:35 pm »

One of the best preamps available at anything close to C&C pricing.  Sweet and detailed, excellent punch, all with caveats.  You must(!) short out all available inputs with shorted rca plugs, quite a few if I recall, and properly set up the preamp by turning off all of the processing and extra circuits from the menu options.  I can't remember exactly what the procedure was, I think it's in the long thread somewhere http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68889.0, but basically turn off everything.  I've prefered a couple of passive preamps over the Pioneer, but not an active that's been in my system.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2014, 04:07 am »
Thanks for the recs.

All them shorted rca plugs...are you sure it's still C&C after that?? :o

DS-21

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2014, 04:15 am »
The Pro-Ject Pre Box doesn't have a tuner, but it's a small remote-controlled preamp that should be under $200.

flavo

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2014, 01:27 pm »
since you mentioned selling the p8 for extra cash.
This was recommended to me and seems like it might work for you too if you only need the 1 set of inputs.
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/pro-series/products/stealth-dc-2   it's got a very nice remote IMO

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2014, 10:11 pm »
Thanks for the recs.

All them shorted rca plugs...are you sure it's still C&C after that?? :o

Yes, they cost next to nothing to make.  Buy a bag of the cheapest RCA plugs you can find on eBay (the cheaper the better actually), unscrew the cover, crimp the positive and negative legs together and solder (you don't have to have any soldering skill here, any glob will work), and viola, shorted plugs by the dozen for a couple of pennies each.

Make sure to use them on INPUTS ONLY!  Use of shorted plugs on outputs will likely trash the amp.  The result really is the proverbial quieter quiets and blacker blacks as you're removing a big noise generator in these receivers.  And turning off everything gets rid of the rather crappy digital processors Pioneer employs here.  As nice as the analog sections are, that's how bad the digital processors are.  Enjoy. 

ooheadsoo

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2014, 12:29 am »
I have no idea where my soldering iron is.  If I just stick with a good ol' crimp, it looks like the cheapest option would be to buy male to male rca couplers and just crush and twist one end with pliers.  Not sure I could manage much of a twist, though.

The d912 is here but no time to test it out, yet.  I didn't realize it would be...8x bigger than the nuforce?  It's too big for comfort.  An unanticipated negative WAF factor.  But spending more moolah is a negative, too.   :scratch: 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2014, 04:32 am »
Honestly - I'd keep the Nuforce preamp and put the money towards another DAC or eventually other speakers. I don't think the Nuforce is the biggest bottleneck in your system. I'm not familiar with your speakers and amp, but there are many very C&C DACs that can top the MF VDAC, including the current $300 MF V90 DAC. Although for the money now that it's down to $300 on Audio Advisor, my choice would be the parasound z-DAC.

Edit : another interesting feature iof the z-DAC : Works in variable volume mode in Windows® for connecting direct to a power amp (no preamp needed).  I'd still use the Nuforce instead, but if you really need something compact and less visible and want to experiment, there you go.

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2014, 10:49 am »
Can't one make rca shorting plugs by taking the interconnect that come with CD, DVD players, etc. cutting them a couple of inches from the plugs, twisting then taping the inner and outer wires together.

If necessary you should be able to find cheap interconnects at the dollar store.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2014, 03:49 pm »
Can't one make rca shorting plugs by taking the interconnect that come with CD, DVD players, etc. cutting them a couple of inches from the plugs, twisting then taping the inner and outer wires together.

If necessary you should be able to find cheap interconnects at the dollar store.

Yes, I've done that with the miriad of cheapy interconnects lying around the house, but there weren't enough to cover the amount of inputs in the 912 receiver.  Dollar interconnects cost a dollar, cheap RCA plugs cost a few cents each, either solution works fine, the plugs are cheaper. 

I just don't like the idea of crimping alone.  Too much to come loose or oxidize over time.  If sans soldering iron, I would spend a little more and order a bag of shorting plugs from eBay, just a few dollars more than making your own, or go down to radio shack and buy the $10 soldering kit, all your choice.  I like the look of the brass premade plugs on eBay, just make sure to get the ones with the grounding lug inside, not the ones that are just caps which are useless except as dust covers.

Doublej

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2014, 04:49 pm »
Where does one get cheap RCA plug for a few cents each? I have a few friends that need a bunch.

ltr317

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2014, 05:25 pm »
Where does one get cheap RCA plug for a few cents each? I have a few friends that need a bunch.

Try Monoprice.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2014, 03:00 pm »

eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Black-RCA-Phono-Male-Plug-Solder-Type-Audio-Video-Cable-Connector-/290777826686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b3b5857e

Maybe I can't search correctly, but the only Monoprice connector I could find was $1.86 each.  Parts Express had some for 36 cents plus shipping in quantities of 50, a couple pennies more than the eBay seller, but a US supplier.

http://www.parts-express.com/rca-plug-connector-red-plastic--090-251

Doublej

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2014, 10:30 pm »
I too can only find one RCA plug from Monoprice for $1.86 each.

At $5.25 this is not a bad price for 10  plugs considering it's a US shipper and you can twist and tape them instead of soldering together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-COMPONENT-VIDEO-CABLE-WITH-AUDIO-5-RCA-HDTV-DVD-VCR-/120573199187?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c12b90353

Even better is $2 for 12 shipped from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-9-FT-1-5m-Triple-3-RCA-to-RCA-3RCA-Composite-Audio-Video-Male-Male-AV-Cable-/281359077413?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item41824ed025

ooheadsoo

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2014, 05:02 am »
The speakers and amp are not in the C&C category, unfortunately (fortunately?) and will not be touched for the foreseeable future...possibly ever, given my likely financial future.  Both are made by circle manufs, if you're curious.

Haven't had time to try the pioneer yet.  I'd have to put together this shelf i bought months ago to lift my TV high enough that the pioneer could slip underneath my tv, and that's simply not happening any time soon.

Not to derail, but my trigger finger was getting really itchy again (and it hasn't been this way for years) and I was going to buy a diy tube buffer, but the lack of a soldering iron, competence, and money reminded me of foobar's convolver plugin.  I loaded the Urei impulse up and am having a great time with my system again!  :scratch:

Hm, another dac...tempting...

If i ever do pick up that diy tube buffer kit, i'll get around to the shorted rca plugs, too.