Photo Printers

Emil

Photo Printers
« on: 20 May 2014, 05:54 pm »
Hello all

Now that I'm clicking away with my new camera, the question turns to what to do with the images? I uploaded a few onto Picasa to view on my computer monitor but what if I wanted a print? I'm assuming that the local CVS/Walgreen's will not due justice to my finely honed photographic skills ( only manual settings of course. I'm no wussy :lol:) or I can send them off to Snapfish or similar service.
I spent some time this morning looking on Craigslist hoping to find someone with a cache of 300B Western Electric tubes that they found in their basement and have no idea of what their worth
when I spotted several ad listing for Canon's Pixma Pro 100s. These are brand new units being sold by individuals that got them in a bundle. Prices vary around $150. Seems like a good option?

What do you guys do when you want a print?

Photon46

Re: Photo Printers
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 06:07 pm »
Canon and Epson both make great printers. I've used Epson's for the last decade myself. I have a 24" wide Epson Stylus Pro 7900 that use for most printing, it makes excellent quality prints (once you learn how to print.) :lol: Pretty much any printer these days can make a very decent print if fed a correctly prepared file.

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 07:04 pm »
The Pixma Pro 100s are good printers.  Canon will run ink and paper specials from time to time. (Buy 1, get 2 free, that type of thing)
I stocked up a couple of times, so I have a few boxes now of 13x19, 8.5x11, 5x7, and 4x6, and plenty of spare ink.
The Canon software works as a plug-in to Pshop or Lightroom and somewhat simplifies the process of getting a good print.
You'll still have a bit of trial and error.

I think I paid $110 for mine on Craigs, and they included a 50ct box of 13x19

Btw, I found that matting the 13x19 into a 22x28 frame makes a nice layout.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2014, 04:06 am »
Hey!

What do I do when I want a print? I still prefer take my file to get it print at my trusted local lab on a photographic paper. Even though I do have an inkjet printer and old Epson R200.

I have seen lots of print made from inkjet printer even on some expensive one, I sometime will pick up a print lines of which it is annoying to see. And not to mention the ink carts are pretty expensive, especially those archival one.

The problem with printing at the lab is finding a good one that can make print that matched what you see on your screen.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

gnuyork

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2014, 12:09 am »
I have 3 epson printers and one gigantic Canon printer that can do 44" wide prints. Both brands make fantastic photo quality prints. I used to be an Epson or nothing kind of guy, but latley the Canons appeal to me more.

The Canon software works as a plug-in to Pshop or Lightroom and somewhat simplifies the process of getting a good print.

I do like the Canon PS plug-in very much, better than the Epson drivers, particularly of late. Epson really screwed up their drivers in recent updates. Really ticked me off.

The problem with printing at the lab is finding a good one that can make print that matched what you see on your screen.
I'll bet a good calibrated monitor helps this tremendously. It does help indeed for me with my inkjet prints, but I have yet to send photos to a lab since I got my calibrated monitor, so I cannot say from experience on that issue, but if I had to guess....