Buying a used camera

Early B.

Re: Buying a used camera
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2014, 03:32 am »
The Nikon D300 is ancient, but it's still a great camera, and superior to the 5000 series. Just start with a kit lens (18-55mm). For 99% of the shots you'll make, no one will be able to tell the difference in quality between the images from the kit lens vs. a pro lens. I've purchased several used cameras and lenses on ebay. Purchase a used camera from a dealer, not an individual, in case you run into problems. 

Emil

« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2014, 05:04 pm »
For some closure.
First off, I want to thank everyone for their guidance.
Secondly, I did go out to actually  handle a few cameras in my hands and I'm glad I did.
I stopped in a local PC Richards and found a Nikon D7000 on display. Picked it up, had a nice solid feel. Exactly what I wanted a camera to have. Turned the thing around and was immediately stupefied by the sheer number of buttons and setting this thing had. I was in way over my head.Who am I kidding? Im a novice at this. :duh:
I retreated top the safety of my home to regroup. Did a Google search on for cameras in my price range and setted out to see  the Canon T5i. The Nikon D5200 was better rated overall but I really love the touch screen on this thing and real time viewing. Moreover, it had a better feel in my hands and lighter in weight. I understand now what you guys have been trying to tell me :D

Here's me getting a feel for my new toy.

Oh, I shot it with a shutter speed of 1/30, F 5.6,  ISO of 3200 and just after lunch.. All manual of course. Auto is for wussies. :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2014, 06:13 pm »
Auto is for wussies. :lol:

Hey, I resemble that remark!  :slap:

PeteG

« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2014, 07:51 pm »
Congrats on the new camera, I've been a fan of the Canon system for awhile . I love their ergonomics, very comfortable feel for me. 

Early B.

« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2014, 07:56 pm »

Oh, I shot it with a shutter speed of 1/30, F 5.6,  ISO of 3200 and just after lunch.. All manual of course. Auto is for wussies. :lol:

It's a great idea to start out shooting exclusively on manual mode because you'll quickly learn a lot about your camera that way. I used to shoot using "aperture priority" mode (I think Canon calls it something different), but now I shoot 100% manual mode because I want full artistic control of the camera. Auto mode is for the "point & shoot" people.   

mh720wake

« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2014, 10:57 pm »
It's a great idea to start out shooting exclusively on manual mode because you'll quickly learn a lot about your camera that way. I used to shoot using "aperture priority" mode (I think Canon calls it something different), but now I shoot 100% manual mode because I want full artistic control of the camera. Auto mode is for the "point & shoot" people.   

thanks EarlyB ,I second,third ,fourth this point .

Cannot say this enough times, "I wish I started shooting FULL MANUAL mode years earlier  , forced to start manual with flash , but now after years using these DSLRsand being a nikon user per GOOD GLASS investment ,I believe they are all  great once you take control and have good glass.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2014, 11:44 pm »
I understand now what you guys have been trying to tell me :D

ISO of 3200 and just after lunch.. All manual of course. Auto is for wussies. :lol:

ISO 3200 is for wussies.  REAL men use low ISOs and hand hold consistently at slow shutter speeds.

I hope you got a good price on the camera.  The brand name is printed backwards.    :duh: :roll:

:lol:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2014, 11:47 pm »
Oh, yeah, there's a diopter adjustment on side of the viewfinder window.  Use it to adjust the camera to your eyes when you are wearing glasses.  That way you won't have to wear your glasses on your head.  That's for wussies.    :lol:

bside123

« Reply #28 on: 19 May 2014, 12:22 am »

Congrats on the new camera. Enjoy! Canon makes a fine product and can produce great images in good hands.

As an aside, don't poo-poo the automatic settings too quickly or completely. These cameras are very intelligent, and they have many useful settings that can assist
the photographer. There are combo settings that allow you incorporate degrees of self/manual settings along with the cameras intelligent choices. Aperture Priority; Shutter Speed Priority; and, Program Mode are examples.
These can be very handy at times when on the move or capturing quick moments that do not require much concentration or demanding approaches for artistic study and critical works. I was raised on Manual Settings, and I use vary degrees of auto settings often. I almost always carry a camera wherever I go, and I travel often. Sometimes I don't have the time or the inclination to reach for manual settings, and I am very happy that the camera can make SOME of the decisions WITH me. Snapshots. I would have lost a lot of great moments had I been a "real man photographer" and not used some auto settings at the right times. A lot of other great photogs both pro and enthusiast use auto settings for convenience even though they know full-well how to shoot manually. Count me as a semi-wussie!   :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #29 on: 19 May 2014, 03:48 pm »
ISO 3200 is for wussies.  REAL men use low ISOs and hand hold consistently at slow shutter speeds.

Ouch! Guilty as charged! Even with my auto P&S!

That comes from decades of using a manual Nikon FM without a flash.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #30 on: 19 May 2014, 04:30 pm »
 :icon_twisted:

Yeah, but how often did you shoot with ISO 3200 film?  OTOH, you probably had a 50mm 1.8 lens instead of the f4-5.6 zoom, so you didn't NEED 3200. 

I still have my FM and FE, BTW.  And lots of film in the freezer.   :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #31 on: 19 May 2014, 04:39 pm »
:icon_twisted:

Yeah, but how often did you shoot with ISO 3200 film?  OTOH, you probably had a 50mm 1.8 lens instead of the f4-5.6 zoom, so you didn't NEED 3200. 

I still have my FM and FE, BTW.  And lots of film in the freezer.   :thumb:

I ended up usually shooting mostly with my 28mm/2.8 with 100 or 200 ISO. But with film cameras dying out, pretty soon I'd imagine I could pick up an old FM with a Nikon lens for $25. Though on the flip side, it'll probably cost $25 for a roll of film and developing soon also!

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #32 on: 19 May 2014, 05:00 pm »
I use my old MF 1.8 and 2.8 lenses on the digital bodies from time-to-time.  Great for long exposure of meteors and stars.   :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #33 on: 19 May 2014, 09:54 pm »
For some closure.
First off, I want to thank everyone for their guidance.
Secondly, I did go out to actually  handle a few cameras in my hands and I'm glad I did.
I stopped in a local PC Richards and found a Nikon D7000 on display. Picked it up, had a nice solid feel. Exactly what I wanted a camera to have. Turned the thing around and was immediately stupefied by the sheer number of buttons and setting this thing had. I was in way over my head.Who am I kidding? Im a novice at this. :duh:
I retreated top the safety of my home to regroup. Did a Google search on for cameras in my price range and setted out to see  the Canon T5i. The Nikon D5200 was better rated overall but I really love the touch screen on this thing and real time viewing. Moreover, it had a better feel in my hands and lighter in weight. I understand now what you guys have been trying to tell me :D

Hey!

Congratulation on your new Canon DSLR. To me buying a camera is a very personal thing, it just got to feel right. Even within the same brand each model can feel very different  :D

Anyway, Auto is for wussies?  :lol: OK, I admit that I do use "auto" on my P&S cam and once in a blue moon I would turn to auto mode on my DSLR when I see something and don't have time to adjust anything. But usually you'll find my cameras set to manual and sometime aperture priority mode.

I ended up usually shooting mostly with my 28mm/2.8 with 100 or 200 ISO. But with film cameras dying out, pretty soon I'd imagine I could pick up an old FM with a Nikon lens for $25. Though on the flip side, it'll probably cost $25 for a roll of film and developing soon also!

True, films sure cost more these days. I have a Kodak Prota 800 in my Minolta XD11 right now, my first color roll in many years. That film cost $10 for 36 exposure and developing it with one set of 4x5" prints will cost about $12-15 at my trusted lab. So, yeah... it is already $25  :lol: But I will just have them develop it only and scan the film myself, still that will cost me $8-9. Of course you can still buy a roll of 100-400 for around $3 and up. Anyway, I usually shoot B&W films and develop it myself and than scan them. So, B&W films to me is still affordable.

Sorry for being off topic a bit, can't help it when I see people talking about film :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: