Help with product selection. Converting from PC to Apple

coke

I'd appreciate some help if someone could guide me on which products will best fit my needs.

-I'd like to install a silent computer near my main stereo and use my TV as the monitor with HDMI.
-This needs to have at least 500GB of storage. Also would like to be able to control it wirelessly
-Needs to have either optical or coax output for my DAC
-I'd like to be able to access the music in another room and send a digital signal to the DAC in that room
-most of my music is apple lossless
-Budget is around $2500

This is what I think might work from the research I've done
-Mac mini with solid state drive
-external solid state drive
-airport express in the other room to send a digital signal to a different stereo
-possibly an ipad to control everything. I currently have an android but will probably switch to an iphone next time I upgrade

Thanks for the help

avta

Re: Help with product selection. Converting from PC to Apple
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2014, 02:10 pm »
I think your plan is fine. I'm not sure using a solid state drive will result in any audible differences. I'm sure others will chime in. I've used 3 versions of the Mac Mini and find them very suitable for the uses you describe.

coke

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2014, 02:33 pm »
The main reason I've chosen solid state is noise.  Are there external drives that are cheaper and would be just as quiet?

avta

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2014, 03:12 pm »
I use a USB drive that has no fan. It was inexpensive and works well.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2014, 03:26 pm »
  Sounds like a nice set up. You can control your system with other android apps from your handheld phone or tablet with various apps available. I've tried many different ones, and they just keep coming out with more and more. the options there are endless.

i've had very good luck with my Mac mini so far. won't go back. I have the "auto turn" option activated, so it comes on every morning at 0600 am, then I shut it off manually every night when I am done. Mac Mini works just perfect for me.

good luck

Mike Nomad

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2014, 08:37 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2019, 02:54 pm by Mike Nomad »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2014, 03:43 pm »
Also agree that your plan is fine and no real need to have an SSD external hard drive.  I use a Western Digital My Passport Studio, mainly because it has a firewire connection, but matching the cosmetics of the mac mini is nice.  Both are two feet from my ear and what little noise pops up very occasionally is barely noticeable.

I'd recommend using USB over the optical, which doesn't sound great.  If your DAC doesn't have USB, I'd suggest getting a USB to SPDIF convertor.  I use a Bel Canto Mlink, but even the Music Fidelity VLINK II at lesser cost should be more than adequate. 

And has been said elsewhere, if using USB for the DAC, use something else for the storage - i.e. firewire (or Thunderbolt).  This way they are not sharing resources.  Since using firewire for the storage I've been stutter and hassle free - something I couldn't say when I had many things hanging off the back of USB. 

Alternatively if your music collection is not very large, just go for the 1TB option vs the 500GB on the Mac Mini and save yourself an extra box. 

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2014, 06:45 pm »
Check out this web site, scroll down to find Mac Mini

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

They are saying not a good time to buy a Mini, new model due very soon, its now way overdue.

Frank Van Alstine

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2014, 10:42 pm »
As Frank indicates, new mac minis are expected in June. I'd wait until then if you can.

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2014, 02:04 am »
I have a Mac Mini with an external power supply.  I use the SSD on board (only for operating system and media player Audirivana) and a buss powered external 2TB OWC Mini Elite pro spinning drive for the music files.  I like the 5400rpm drive as they make less noise.  The latency topic mentioned above is very important to sound quality - optimizing the software, More RAM and faster CPU helps this.  I have not read the article Frank Van Alstine cites but it may be talking about the Mac Mini being released with the latest Intel CPU architecture known as "Haswell".  It is superior and will drop the latency through several great performance efficiencies. 

The current Mac Mini is EXTREMELY effective with a little software tweaking and I don't think I will change out my current model Mac Mini for the Haswell based chip until mine dies. If I had an older one, I would get the Haswell.  If I didn't have one at all, I'd wait for the Haswell - just my 2 cents.  This chipset is a major step up and when the computer is stripped down to a dedicated music server, it can only improve. The source is the most important part of the signal.  Getting the power supply out of the Mac Mini is also a MASSIVE upgrade in performance.  Downside, the Haswell design will be a pretty significant overhaul and collateral functionality may cause evolutional problems that can't be foreseen.  Good thing is that Apple has been dragging it's feet on the Mac Mini Haswell as the "lower priced" computer will take some sales from the other pricier Apple products, so the design will mature on the MBP.

coke

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2014, 12:35 pm »
Thanks for all the helpful feedback.