Air Show - St. Louis - Blue Angels (15 photos) C/C Welcome!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Constructive criticism very welcome on these shots ...... other than the dust on the shutter (oops):
Absolutely zero PP done, as I've never tried, so these are fresh off the SD card. My goal was to capture something a bit more...."artsy"....as we've all see then Blue Angels and the typical "close flight" shots. So my eye was looking for something a bit different. Incorporated in some of the shots are trees, the sun, and even other photographers. I've given a few thoughts on what the photos do for me to make them "worthy" of posting and asking for your thoughts.
I've got thick skin, so please give me your honest thoughts on these.

#1 - I like this  because the sun dominates the shot. The Blue Angels are tastefully tucked away in the lower corner. Nothing flashy. Subdued.

#2 - I like the water vapor as it condenses above the wings. I also like the angle of the Angel (see what I did there?)

#3 - The sun on the nose was what caught my eye here.

#4 - Again with the sun. It's muting everything to the point where it's nearly a black and white photo.

#5 - Not much to write home about, this one just captures my eye. I can't find a single thing spectacular, I just like it.

#6 - See above reason.

#7 - Yea....just kinda neat. Nothing new here.

#8 - This one has the most dust blobs.....oh wait, there's another aircraft in the picture!

#9 - I'm waiting for the perfect shot and I see this other guy who is waiting for his perfect shot.

#10 - Trees have a nice element.

#11 - Probably the least "original" and most boring of them all, I just like the angle.

#12 - Again with the sun.

#13 - More angles I like, plus you can see the cockpit in full glow

#14 - Interesting  view not seen very often.

#15 - The trees dominate, the smoke is secondary, the aircraft are nearly insignificant.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Air Show - St. Louis - Blue Angels (15 photos) C/C Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2014, 02:42 am »
Bob, you need a blow job, one of those Giotto Rocket Blasters that blow all the dust off the sensor (not the shutter).  They only cost $15, so what are you waiting for????    :nono:

I really like these, especially the "odd" ones that make the jets such a small part of the image, the photographer on the dirt mound.  #s 1, 4, 8, 10 and 15 really impress me.

If you were there Saturday I'll kick your butt!  I was working in the STEM expo area on the west side of the airport.

gnuyork

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2014, 04:12 am »
um...totally cool (especially the first pic).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2014, 02:08 pm »
Thanks fellas!  :thumb:

Bob, In the past, I've used a cotton swab with 70% rubbing alcohol to clean the mirror off with.
That generally gets the blobs off.
I was worried about using compressed air, for fear that it would force dust into unreachable places that it normally wouldn't get into.
Is that not a valid concern?

I was there on Sunday. And actually, never made it to the airport (too much traffic). There's a large church on the back side of the airport that overlooks the landing strip. From your perspective, I would have been "stage left" up on top of that big hill. Parking and food prices were a fraction of what Spirit Airport was, and we avoided the long lines and traffic. I'll be going to the church again next year, it's MUCH better than dealing with the airport hassle.

In all, I shot 377 photos. I thought 32 were worthy to upload to Photobucket, and about 15 to post here.
Bob

bside123

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2014, 03:52 pm »
Hi Bob,

I hope you don't mind, but I used a non-invasive procedure to clean you sensor!  :thumb:

DSC_0137_zpsd1266dee.jpg

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2014, 03:56 pm »
Awesome stuff Bob!!!! 8)

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2014, 03:59 pm »
Great shots! :thumb:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2014, 04:03 pm »
Best pilots in the world, and that's no shit. OooRah! Unfortunatly you never get to see the best trick they do, landing on the pitching deck of a bird farm.

Doc

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2014, 04:07 pm »

Bob, In the past, I've used a cotton swab with 70% rubbing alcohol to clean the mirror off with.
That generally gets the blobs off.
I was worried about using compressed air, for fear that it would force dust into unreachable places that it normally wouldn't get into.
Is that not a valid concern?

You make a valid point, Bob, just don't use canned air.  I'm told there is some sort of solution in them now to keep the dope-heads from getting high on it, and that stuff (whatever it is) can cause sensor problems.  :nono:

The Rocket Blaster is a rubber squeeze bulb/turkey baster that gives just the right amount of pressure.  Does a wonderful job on the sensor.

Years ago I repaired cameras part-time, and I don't see dust being a mechanism problem.  With film cameras dust could get in from the back or front. Not the case now.

'brick

PeteG

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2014, 12:11 am »
Bob, good job. What gear did you use.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2014, 01:15 am »

I hope you don't mind, but I used a non-invasive procedure to clean you sensor!  :thumb:
That's awesome!
No, I don't mind at all. In fact, I encourage it. Maybe it'll force me to learn how to post process.   :duh:

I really like these, especially the "odd" ones that make the jets such a small part of the image, the photographer on the dirt mound.  #s 1, 4, 8, 10 and 15 really impress me.
I meant to comment on this earlier. Thank you for the kind words Bob. I highly respect your opinion and appreciate what you said.

I also noticed that one of them was turned sideways. I certainly looks odd when trees grow from right to left, instead of from the bottom up.
Let me try that one more time (the edit will also replace the photo in my first post):

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2014, 01:29 am »
Bob, good job. What gear did you use.
Thanks Pete!
The body is a Nikon D40, the lens was a kit 55-200.

By the way.....at one point (in a fit of rage) I had a hold of the 55-200 with one end in each hand was had started twisting the unit in opposite directions.
The snapping noises it made as I twisted its neck caught the attention of my wife.
It refused to auto focus. Instead it gave a helpless whine/buzz due to it inability to focus, which caused me to miss some great shots.
At the end of the airshow, I contemplated throwing it as hard as I could into the trees.

My wife brought me back to reality.  :evil:

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2014, 02:50 am »
Bob, you need a blow job, one of those Giotto Rocket Blasters that blow all the dust off the sensor (not the shutter).  They only cost $15, so what are you waiting for????    :nono:

Hey!

:rotflmao:  Anyway, I got one of those Giotto Rocket and it is an excellent blower. It does really blow  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2014, 03:35 am »
The first time I read that, I thought it said, "Ghetto rocket blaster".   :duh: