DIY Soffit Bass Trap

jk@home

Re: DIY Soffit Bass Trap
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2014, 11:41 am »
The burlap I have gotten from ATS acoustics seems decent. Lots of color options too, you can order a pack of small sample pieces from them. That would also give you an idea of the quality of their product before ordering the large amount needed to do the job.

spence

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2014, 12:08 pm »
Rob,
   What's an iron? I hope that wasn't a serious question.........!

The $6 per yard material at ATS is probably very similar to the stuff at my local fabric shop. My shop sells it for $7 per yard, but by the time you pay the shipping costs, it equals out, and I'd rather support my local shop.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2014, 02:19 pm »
A little late to iron it now.  Plus, what's an iron? :lol:  I think it will smooth out a little as it hangs.  The trap is in a corner where it's hard to see anyway.  That corner is dark enough that I might not even bother to stain the top.

You can always steam it with it wrapped.

Mmaxed

« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2014, 10:04 pm »
Rob,
   What's an iron? I hope that wasn't a serious question.........!

The $6 per yard material at ATS is probably very similar to the stuff at my local fabric shop. My shop sells it for $7 per yard, but by the time you pay the shipping costs, it equals out, and I'd rather support my local shop.

When I bought from ATS the material was quite a bit wider than what I could get locally.  Made it much cheaper for my use and the quality was better.

Housteau

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2014, 10:01 pm »
You can always steam it with it wrapped.

Yes and that can work very well.  I have done that with all of mine although the fabric was different.

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2014, 02:29 am »
It's getting a little smoother as it hangs.  Really it's not a big issue for me.  It's in a room no one uses but me so no one will see it except online. :lol:  But I suppose just for professionalism I should make it a little smoother. 

I picked up another bundle of Roxul on Monday to do another soffit/column trap for the opposite corner.  I considered building it tonite but I think I'm gonna go see Godzilla instead. 8)