Exotica 3's

jsalk

Re: Exotica 3's
« Reply #120 on: 3 May 2014, 04:51 pm »
I'm curious of those who have heard these drivers in this speaker.   Do they rock? or rather can they rock?  I've always thought of Lowther/Fostex (I realize these aren't those, but they are like those) speakers as for those who like acoustic only music, ultimate detail but no real authority and oomph.   Counter example is old skool JBL or Klipsch big monitors that can deliver slam but don't necessarily have the best refinement and intimacy.   Of course my goal is the intersection of the two, but curious as to people's take.   And for the record, my style of music and listening favors the authority over the last word in detail.

This is an interesting question and I don't really have a definitive answer.  But when I think of this speaker, rock music does not come to mind.  My gut feeling is that the SS8's are more suited to that type of music.  Jazz, classical, female and male vocals and acoustic recordings would seem to benefit the most from the Exotic drivers.  Of course, that is just my personal opinion.  Other opinions may vary and there is certainly no reason you could not use the Exotic 3's to play rock.  But it seems like a bit of overkill to me.

- Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #121 on: 3 May 2014, 06:50 pm »
The reason I jumped for the Exotica Three speakers is that in my opinion, they play string sound, tone, harmonics, engagement simply better, much better, then any other speakers I have ever heard.

At last fall's RFAF I heard a Ray Kimber's string recording on his huge playback system in his first floor demo room.  They did not handle the harmonic reality of the violin anywhere close to Jim's first Exotica bookshelf speakers.

That's all there is to it.  End of the game at least for now.

Frank Van Alstine

Of course maybe the violins sounded so much better in Jim's display room because we were using AVA electronics and Ray Kimber wasn't.  :)

Austin08

« Reply #122 on: 3 May 2014, 07:21 pm »
This is an interesting question and I don't really have a definitive answer.  But when I think of this speaker, rock music does not come to mind.  My gut feeling is that the SS8's are more suited to that type of music.  Jazz, classical, female and male vocals and acoustic recordings would seem to benefit the most from the Exotic drivers.  Of course, that is just my personal opinion.  Other opinions may vary and there is certainly no reason you could not use the Exotic 3's to play rock.  But it seems like a bit of overkill to me.

- Jim

Better Vocal and Acoustic than the SS8!!!!!! Jim, you make me wanting this speaker now.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #123 on: 3 May 2014, 07:40 pm »
The reason I jumped for the Exotica Three speakers is that in my opinion, they play string sound, tone, harmonics, engagement simply better, much better, then any other speakers I have ever heard.

At last fall's RFAF I heard a Ray Kimber's string recording on his huge playback system in his first floor demo room.  They did not handle the harmonic reality of the violin anywhere close to Jim's first Exotica bookshelf speakers.

That's all there is to it.  End of the game at least for now.

Frank Van Alstine

Of course maybe the violins sounded so much better in Jim's display room because we were using AVA electronics and Ray Kimber wasn't.  :)

That's interesting.  I've always respected your ears, and you've heard the Exotica's and the RAAL-based speakers in stereo, and the Exotica's and 8's up against each other.  I've only heard the (2-way) Exotica in mono.   I can't say as I heard a comparative advantage on string tones--certainly not in the upper harmonics.  Of course, my closest reference is my own violin playing, and that could explain a lot.  I'll keep practicing, and maybe I'll hear it one of these days.  What impressed me about the finished Exotica was the controlled roll-off horizontally.  The dispersion isn't as wide as on the 3-way RAAL designs, but there are really no changes in the basic response other than an increasing loss of high frequencies further and further off axis.   Anyhow, I'll be able to settle this for myself in July at the CAF. 

jhm731

« Reply #124 on: 3 May 2014, 07:54 pm »
Better Vocal and Acoustic than the SS8!!!!!! Jim, you make me wanting this speaker now.

"I preferred the Soundscape 8 to the new Exotica 3, at least in terms of overall sonic presentation—especially in the mids and highs. The Exotica 3 dominated in low-end damping, finesse, and convincing reproduction of the electric bass in Zero 7’s “Summersault,” but I’d personally want to own the Soundscape 8 and save the $4k for other components."
- Spencer Holbert, TAS

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2014-loudspeakers-and-electronics-under-15k/

strat95

« Reply #125 on: 4 May 2014, 05:31 am »
Good question!  We pick off a signal from the binding posts (thus from the outboard amp) and feed it directly to the plate amp circuit board.  Then the gain, phase and crossover frequency are calibrated.  Once this is done, the woofer section gain tracks the signal from your amp perfectly.  No user adjustments are required (in fact, they are strongly discouraged).

- Jim

Jim,

Thank you for the explanation.  As for other comments on the pots being easily adjustable, perhaps it is best to hard wire the settings as you say.  Your products have grown in popularity because of the sound quality produced and the amazing finishes you provide.  Giving the end user the means to adjust the settings, even by having to remove a cover plate, could mean your products may not perform as you intended and prospective buyers may be turned off if auditioning an Exotica that has been messed around with.

Regards,

TV

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #126 on: 4 May 2014, 02:42 pm »
I have to chuckle at all the people squirming over buzz that got out on the new speaker.
I thought it would be easy to be content with a pair of SS8s

Sounds like you have another winner Jim

You are really adept at finding just the right niche speaker

jsalk

« Reply #127 on: 4 May 2014, 07:53 pm »
I have to chuckle at all the people squirming over buzz that got out on the new speaker.
I thought it would be easy to be content with a pair of SS8s

Sounds like you have another winner Jim

You are really adept at finding just the right niche speaker

Wish I could take credit here.  This one found me. I just had to figure out how to deal with the woofer section.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #128 on: 9 May 2014, 04:59 pm »
Just weighed the existing Exotica 3 cabinets - 123 pounds each.  We are contemplating design changes that will increase the weight.  Guess these won't be shipping via FedEx.

- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #129 on: 9 May 2014, 05:22 pm »
Just weighed the existing Exotica 3 cabinets - 123 pounds each.  We are contemplating design changes that will increase the weight.  Guess these won't be shipping via FedEx.

- Jim

Well, how about a lower and an upper cabinet?  Worked for the 10's and 12's with the umbilical connection.   8) :wink:

Austin08

« Reply #130 on: 9 May 2014, 10:15 pm »
Well, how about a lower and an upper cabinet?  Worked for the 10's and 12's with the umbilical connection.   8) :wink:

+1. Modular is easier to ship and would also result in better sound, no?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #131 on: 10 May 2014, 12:29 am »
+1. Modular is easier to ship and would also result in better sound, no?

I don't see any sound improvement.  The upper cabinet is isolated from the bass cabinet already (no openings between except wiring).  So it is essentially like the bookshelf sitting on top of the bass cabinet.  Jim, is this fully correct?

I would like the separate cabinets for the shipping and installing/moving reasons.  I would be okay if the upper was locked into a preset position relative to the bass cab upon assembly.  I always liked the idea of a moveable Wilson-like upper cabinet but then customers would start complaining or calling about how to align them.  So just like the settings on the amp, it is probably best to remove any adjust-ability.

Of course this means more boxes and the shipping department (Mary) only has 2 arms!!

Austin08

« Reply #132 on: 10 May 2014, 01:20 am »
I was more thinking about those old Ravel Salon ultima for the style. The Wilson adjustable modular is more work and would adding cost.

Another point is IMO, shipping carriers care for space more than they care weight. So a bit more money in shipping is expected.

JonnyFive

« Reply #133 on: 10 May 2014, 07:08 pm »
Wouldn't it be maximally efficient to just reuse the SS8 cabinet design with a few changes specific to the E3 drivers? (Not with respect to shipping, but in terms of actually producing the E3s).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #134 on: 10 May 2014, 07:44 pm »
Wouldn't it be maximally efficient to just reuse the SS8 cabinet design with a few changes specific to the E3 drivers? (Not with respect to shipping, but in terms of actually producing the E3s).

The amps for the bass account for most of the added weight as far as I know.

srb

« Reply #135 on: 10 May 2014, 08:13 pm »
The amps for the bass account for most of the added weight as far as I know.

The SoundScape 8 spec page says they weigh 126 pounds each.

?

Steve

jsalk

« Reply #136 on: 10 May 2014, 08:33 pm »
The SoundScape 8 spec page says they weigh 126 pounds each.

?

Steve

Yes, the SS8's and the first build of the Exotica 3's were withing a few pounds of one another.  Once we made our proposed changes to the Exotica 3 cabinets, they will weigh about 10 pounds more than the current build (estimated at about 135 pounds each) and will be very non-resonant.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #137 on: 10 May 2014, 08:36 pm »

That is not a bad idea.  But I would have to check to see if there would be enough volume in the woofer section.

- Jim

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #138 on: 14 May 2014, 07:15 pm »
I like the sound of modular design.

Maybe with the thought of selling each cabinet separately, allowing purchase of the mid and tweeter and woofer section independently?

I realize there would be problems to address such as; vented v. sealed and connections between cabinets.

Probably crazy idea.

Is there a market for the woofer section and could it be sold as a woofer section for use with other speakers?

Austin08

« Reply #139 on: 14 May 2014, 08:18 pm »
I like the sound of modular design.

Maybe with the thought of selling each cabinet separately, allowing purchase of the mid and tweeter and woofer section independently?

I realize there would be problems to address such as; vented v. sealed and connections between cabinets.

Probably crazy idea.

Is there a market for the woofer section and could it be sold as a woofer section for use with other speakers?

There is Exotica monitor and Salk Rythmik if someone want to save few bucks. I think Jim could find tune them to match the monitor and sub. This combo will not be as good as the tower version but will be a pretty good set up, IMHO.