TRL600, NCore 1200 based amps - Sold

goskers

TRL600, NCore 1200 based amps - Sold
« on: 28 Apr 2014, 09:08 pm »
I am selling a pair of Tube Research Labs 600 mono amps.  These amps utilize the Hypex NCore 1200 amplifier modules.  Units have been updated with the latest SMPS module.  Included with these will be a pair of TRL power cords which are very expensive if purchased outright.  These utilize powerconn connectors.   

The cases are not in perfect condition.  Although I purchased these new, they were not spotless when received.  There is a blemish on a front left corner on one amp which is shown in the picture.  It looks like this happened after the anodizing process. 

I know of only one other set of these produced by TRL.  Get these while you can as I doubt you will get a better deal on the top of the line Hypex modules.

Sold.

« Last Edit: 5 May 2014, 03:36 am by goskers »

JoshK

Re: FS: TRL600, NCore 1200 based amps
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:46 am »
Wow, those are beauts!  Didn't know they did Ncores.   Love the use of powercon connectors...only nit is that they should have went speakons as well...oh well, I would pass up because of that.    Also love the use of a breaker as a switch/fuse replacement.  I've been doing that for some time now in my builds.   A really good design detail.  That makes me respect their engineering all the more.

Bet these would match awesome with a resident seller of a Dude preamp here. 

goskers

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2014, 01:16 am »
I have been using speakons on the back of my speakers with good results.  If nothing else, those neutrik connectors are idiot proof. 

Some of Paul's (TRL) ideas are very well founded in thought and solid science.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2014, 01:42 am »
Yeah, as a DIY'er, or atleast a paper designer, I respect good design and his has always struck me as well thought through.    IIRC, you are in SLO.  I am a Cal Poly Alumni. 

Speakons to me are idiot proof, super easy to swap speakers if wanted, less metal to make resistance, nothing to loose, everything to benefit.   The Audio world should wake up and move over.

goskers

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:38 am »
Nope, I am in Nebraska. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2014, 03:57 am »
goskers,
Wow, they look, well just different enough but not so much to draw unnecessary attention.  I like the look very much, very "beefy" and "manly" but not to the point of caricature.  It's somehow clean and modern but classic American muscle.  Reminds me of the latest Dodge Challenger but not sure why.     

How long do you think new TRL600 take to burn in? 

goskers

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2014, 01:37 pm »
I didn't notice a decernible amount of burn in time.  That said, I tend to play pink noise at low levels continuously for a couple of weeks while I'm not listening.  Without keeping a notepad with observations I can't really say for sure.

I am someone who really doesn't care much for the typical audio jewelry.  I would much prefer someone wonder where all the sound is coming from versus the 'look at those huge boxes' type approach.  These are very classy while still being diminutive in size. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2014, 03:41 pm »
I must miss something, um, obvious. 

From whence comes the name "600?"  We're already tossed a bit off with TRL having no tubes inside. 

I thought NC1200 module makes 400/800/1200W @ 8/4/2/ Ohm, safe to 1 Ohm minimum? 

"600"W @ 6 Ohm maybe?