cheap 12v linear power supply

shadowlight

Re: cheap 12v linear power supply
« Reply #60 on: 5 May 2014, 04:28 pm »
Will RS-20A work with the tpa3116 based amps?

rhing

« Reply #61 on: 5 May 2014, 06:18 pm »
Will RS-20A work with the tpa3116 based amps?

That should be fine. With most Astron power supplies, the current rating is a peak current rating. For  instance, my Astron RS-12A has a peak current rating of 12A and a continuous current rating of 9A. In reality, the actual continuous current capability is approximately 4-5A. Astron has a tendency to inflate their current handling specs.

OzarkTom

« Reply #62 on: 11 May 2014, 03:03 pm »
Just listed a few minutes ago, a radio and Astron 7A power supply for $35 and free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTRON-7A-POWER-SUPPLY-WITH-RADIO-/121339397514?pt=US_CB_Radios&hash=item1c4064458a

srb

« Reply #63 on: 11 May 2014, 03:16 pm »
"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓ 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTRON-7A-POWER-SUPPLY-WITH-RADIO-/121339421706?pt=US_CB_Radios&hash=item1c4064a40a

↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓ 

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #65 on: 17 May 2014, 02:04 pm »
Hey Now,

Got lucky and just picked up an Astron 7a off flea-bay for $33 and change, shipped. Planning to use it for my TPA3116 build. Can't wait to get this built, ordered a case from China, planning to make it look proper. My cigar boxed TPA3110 is doing fine out in the garage driving my Heresy speakers using a 15v wall wart from an old optical drive. This is pretty fun stuff, thanks to everyone who has contributed.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #66 on: 17 May 2014, 02:09 pm »
. . . . <snippage> This 7a went for $19.99 plus $3.94 for shipping. <snippage>

Hey Now,

The shipping actually may have been a bit higher, the seller noted that he had problems putting in a shipping cost and said to plan for a 12 LB. shipping weight. Still sounds like a good deal all around.

-
Finest kind,
Chris

OzarkTom

« Reply #67 on: 2 Jun 2014, 10:34 am »
I have had my Itube hooked up the Astron SL11A, modded by the company for 9v, for a few weeks now. Before, I was getting some decent sound with the Itube, but I was not ready to hear what it sounds now.Itt is much larger soundstage, more holograohic, and much more natural sounding. I feel the Itube has actually improved 100% or better.

Of all the tweeks I have ever done in my life, this is the most improved that I have ever heard and it cost me $114 to do it. I could have bought a thousand dollar speaker cables or power cable and the improvement would never have been this great. I strongly feel this Itube-Astron combo would improve any system regardless of price. :thumb:

islandman

« Reply #68 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:25 pm »
I have the Ten Tec 937 on a TBI Millenia and an Astron 11A on a Dspeaker Dual core 2.0. Tomorrow I'm putting in an order for an Astron 11A modded to 9vdc for use on an iFi iTube, and hope to have it by weeks end.
Before the 937/11A  ps's I was using a custom battery ps with what I thought were very good results. OzarkTom had mentioned that he uses the 937 so I gave it a try and I'm glad I did. Immediately I noticed a huge difference in sound quality that is so substantial I had to get another one for the Dual Core.

Rodge, could you go into a little more detail about the sound difference of the Dual Core 2.0 with the Astron?   I am trying to improve my Dual Cores transparency that I am not happy with.  I am trying to spend as little money as possible to see if I can improve it.  So far my FAT DAC (Firestone Audio Tobby) is superior as a DAC,  especially in the area of transparency.  If I  could  improve that then I would just use the Dual Core as an all-in-one solution.  Even when I switch the Dual Core to "by pass" and run my FAT DAC through it there is a noticeable diminishing of transparency.  Taking the Dual Core out of the chain altogether makes a big difference.     So I mostly wanted to know if you noticed a difference in transparency using the Astron?  Thanks!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #69 on: 27 Jun 2014, 10:40 pm »
I have had my Itube hooked up the Astron SL11A, modded by the company for 9v, for a few weeks now. Before, I was getting some decent sound with the Itube, but I was not ready to hear what it sounds now.Itt is much larger soundstage, more holograohic, and much more natural sounding. I feel the Itube has actually improved 100% or better.

Of all the tweeks I have ever done in my life, this is the most improved that I have ever heard and it cost me $114 to do it. I could have bought a thousand dollar speaker cables or power cable and the improvement would never have been this great. I strongly feel this Itube-Astron combo would improve any system regardless of price. :thumb:

Tom, have you tried the Astron 11A with your modified TBI amp yet, I picked up an 11A that you posted about to try but haven't had a change to connect it the two amps I have.

Thanks,

Greg

OzarkTom

« Reply #70 on: 27 Jun 2014, 11:17 pm »
Tom, have you tried the Astron 11A with your modified TBI amp yet, I picked up an 11A that you posted about to try but haven't had a change to connect it the two amps I have.

Thanks,

Greg

Yes Greg, it made quite a bit of difference on the TBI. Before the Astron, the battery was the best. But the Astron gives the TBI a bigger soundstage and sounds even more natural.

In a week or two, I might send my 9v Astron in to get it cryo'd. I will give an update if I do. I haD the Itube cryo'd and that made another improvement on the SQ.

rodge827

« Reply #71 on: 28 Jun 2014, 02:16 am »
I have the Ten Tec 937 on a TBI Millenia and an Astron 11A on a Dspeaker Dual core 2.0. Tomorrow I'm putting in an order for an Astron 11A modded to 9vdc for use on an iFi iTube, and hope to have it by weeks end.
Before the 937/11A  ps's I was using a custom battery ps with what I thought were very good results. OzarkTom had mentioned that he uses the 937 so I gave it a try and I'm glad I did. Immediately I noticed a huge difference in sound quality that is so substantial I had to get another one for the Dual Core.

Rodge, could you go into a little more detail about the sound difference of the Dual Core 2.0 with the Astron?   I am trying to improve my Dual Cores transparency that I am not happy with.  I am trying to spend as little money as possible to see if I can improve it.  So far my FAT DAC (Firestone Audio Tobby) is superior as a DAC,  especially in the area of transparency.  If I  could  improve that then I would just use the Dual Core as an all-in-one solution.  Even when I switch the Dual Core to "by pass" and run my FAT DAC through it there is a noticeable diminishing of transparency.  Taking the Dual Core out of the chain altogether makes a big difference.     So I mostly wanted to know if you noticed a difference in transparency using the Astron?  Thanks!

Hi islandman,

To better answer your question could you please post the other power supplies you are using?
As noted in the other half of my post that wasn't quoted, details/transparency (to me they are the same thing) were also clearer.
The Astron linear power supplies are inexpensive to purchase new and are even a better deal used.
You could purchase one on Ebay, and if it doesn't sound better resell it.

celo

« Reply #72 on: 30 Jul 2014, 05:00 pm »
What is the equivalent to Astron in Europe? Anybody knows? Is it possible to clone the Astron? Looks like everybody is happy using it with their TPA3116.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #73 on: 3 Aug 2014, 11:45 am »
To conserve shelf space I'm considering attaching a TPA3116 in a case on top of an Astron RS-12A.

Thinking I would run new internal leads through the top of the Astron to the TPA so as to avoid the external screw down connections. How does this sound?

Am I correct to assume Astrons store lethal voltage even after being unplugged?

randytsuch

« Reply #74 on: 4 Aug 2014, 04:28 pm »
To conserve shelf space I'm considering attaching a TPA3116 in a case on top of an Astron RS-12A.

Thinking I would run new internal leads through the top of the Astron to the TPA so as to avoid the external screw down connections. How does this sound?

Am I correct to assume Astrons store lethal voltage even after being unplugged?

I just got an Astron RS-12A, got a reasonable price so I went for it.

I don't think it would have a lethal voltage, it is likely to have a transformer with 115V in, and maybe 20V or so out.  It doesn't need more than that to generate the 12-15VDC the supply can generate.  And the higher the voltage out of the transformer, the more heat it needs to dissipate, so it is unlikely to generate a very high voltage.  This applies to linear supplies, switchers are different.

Randy

erikjan

« Reply #75 on: 6 Sep 2014, 08:07 am »
I can get another Astron for $5 bucks at a elec recycling place
Its an Astron RS-7A
Is the Astron RS-7A enough power to drive "both" TPA 3116 and the Magic Sound Buffer 6N3 x 2 + 6Z4 Tube Preamp AMP?

Magic Sound tube specs:
1 the Beijing 6N3 electronic tube

2 main filter capacitor using imported chemical 450V220UF, coupling capacitor using the top German imports of Wilmore capacitor

3 resistance selection of rings of metal resistance, the main circuit uses accuracy + / - 1% rings metal film resistors, guarantee

The good signal to noise ratio.

4.PCB employs 1.6mm thick double-sided plate, 2 in copper thickness, spray tin full process, ensure the size of current with good performance. First-class quality of PCB.

Distribution transformer 5 formal manufacturers, quality first-class!

5.the power amplifier board wiring reasonable, beautiful appearance, small electric current sound
Finished board size: length 12.5cm of the plate width 9cm height 7cm
High Voltage: AC150V-0-AC150V (current 10MA more) filament voltage: AC6.3V (4A above)
this amplifier is used fiber glass PCB,.Excellent electrolytic capacitor.film capacitors and precision metal film resistors.  it has DC power supply on board .just connect the power transformer to run it
High Voltage: AC150V-0-AC150V (current 10MA more) filament voltage: AC6.3V (4A above)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #76 on: 6 Sep 2014, 09:27 am »
Here's the TPA3116 siamesed to the Astron RS-12A power supply.

Amazing transformation of an already good sounding little amp. Next I may try mounting it inside the Astron.

randytsuch

« Reply #77 on: 6 Sep 2014, 02:00 pm »
Its an Astron RS-7A
Is the Astron RS-7A enough power to drive "both" TPA 3116 and the Magic Sound Buffer 6N3 x 2 + 6Z4 Tube Preamp AMP?

The Astron puts out around 13VDC.  This is the not the voltage the Magic Sound wants, so you cant use the Astron to power the Magic Sound

Randy

Folsom

« Reply #78 on: 6 Sep 2014, 05:53 pm »
Its an Astron RS-7A

Magic Sound tube specs:
1 the Beijing 6N3 electronic tube

2 main filter capacitor using imported chemical 450V220UF, coupling capacitor using the top German imports of Wilmore capacitor

3 resistance selection of rings of metal resistance, the main circuit uses accuracy + / - 1% rings metal film resistors, guarantee

The good signal to noise ratio.

4.PCB employs 1.6mm thick double-sided plate, 2 in copper thickness, spray tin full process, ensure the size of current with good performance. First-class quality of PCB.

Distribution transformer 5 formal manufacturers, quality first-class!

5.the power amplifier board wiring reasonable, beautiful appearance, small electric current sound
Finished board size: length 12.5cm of the plate width 9cm height 7cm
this amplifier is used fiber glass PCB,.Excellent electrolytic capacitor.film capacitors and precision metal film resistors.  it has DC power supply on board .just connect the power transformer to run it

I have no idea what you're talking about, but yes a 7a unit will drive two 2a units and one .25-1a unit just fine.

What may or may not go over well is possible loops.

erikjan

« Reply #79 on: 6 Sep 2014, 09:42 pm »
I have no idea what you're talking about, but yes a 7a unit will drive two 2a units and one .25-1a unit just fine.

What may or may not go over well is possible loops.
"
I should have better clarified my question. Can i run both the Sure TPA 3116 "&" the Magic Sound Buffer 6N3 x 2 + 6Z4 Tube Preamp off the
ASTRON RS-7A

Sure TPA 3116 Specs
http://store.sure-electronics.com/aa-ab32178