Scam alert!

ampgalore

Scam alert!
« on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:22 pm »
I frequent audioasylum more than audiocircle. But I posted for sale ads on both forums. Recently I was involved with a potential buyer for my Accuphase integrated amp, who claimed he was located in the U.K. From the very start, I got a bad vibe about this character.

Thanks to a fellow audioasylum member located in the U.K., he helped me clear up all the disinformation that "potential buyer" provided me.

Turned out the phone number I was given is a Nigerian phone number, and the shipping address I was given was for a freight terminal area in London.

I am making this scammer's contact info public, so he will not harm another honest seller.

Name: Ronald Benson

2348023866379, the country code 234 is for Nigeria

P.O.BOX21059
LONDON.N7 8NF
United Kingdom

1312 surrey ,London
United kingdom

ampgalore

Scam alert!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:23 pm »
Here's another scammer. This one is through ebay. He tried to sell me a pair of Totem Forest speakers at 1/3 retail price. Western union only, money first, then speakers. I offered to send a friend of mine, who is a police sergeant in London to personally deliver the money. He declined.

First name: Brian
Last name: Patrik
Address: a-25 sixth avenue queens park
City: London
Zipp code: w102hd

mcgsxr

Scam alert!
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2004, 04:53 pm »
Same nonsense here, for both audio and motorcycle gear, from a Bob Siman, and a Colin Powell.

Mark

Mike 1167

Scam alert!
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2004, 01:17 am »
Funny. I have a bad cheque on my coffee table for $3,500.00 CAD right now. I clued into the scheme quite quickly...thankfully.

mcgsxr/Mark it may be of interest to you as the crook came in contact with me through the Canadian version of audiogon-canuckaudiomart. They've posted known alias'
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49

gean dore was my man. :evil:

mcgsxr

Scam alert!
« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2004, 01:58 am »
Thanks eyeteeth, I am awaiting a bad cheque for a motorcycle jacket I am trying to sell, from CMG Online...

Mark

Bemopti123

Thanks for Audiocircle for not blocking this sort of post
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2004, 02:31 am »
Thanks to AudioCircle for not editing out this sort of posting.  I have had some threads deleted by Audiogon when I was wondering about the shipping addressed of a member who seems to have very high seller ratings, but when I looked at the shipping location that varied from Northern Africa to the Orient, I was wondering whether this member was to be trusted.  Not to accuse someone for I was not a victim or anything, but I was just pointing it out when they dared to delete my posting.  Afterwards, they come and tell me via private email that the seller his highly trustable, and yet, when it comes to a scam that happens, Audiogon is not willing to admit responsability.  They protect themselves by simply saying, "we cannot guarantee the safety of a transation, the only thing that we can say is that this individual has had a confirmed address etc...."  If it weren't for the fact that Gon has some really experienced members and a large selection of goods, I would have jetted a while back.  Would any ACircler dare to deal with someone who takes just money orders and ships from different continents and countries, selling all different products at the same time?  Can you also scam ratings?

R_burke

Scam alert!
« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2004, 02:57 pm »
Ratings are easy to scam, at least on gon.  All you need is friends and/or severalo e-mail addresses and aliases.  Any member can post a rating, regardless of whether they actually bought or sold something from the person being rated.