Sapphire vs. Panorama

Mike Dzurko

Re: Sapphire vs. Panorama
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2006, 01:27 am »
Mike, I am indeed looking forward to many years of enjoyment. I gather that others who have bought Talismans feel the same, as I have never seen a pair for sale on Audiogon over the many years I've been checking out the site. Regarding inferrences from your comparison, I wasn't sure if the differences between Panos and Talismans (porting, different crossover points for low frequencies) allowed the Talismans to operate at higher level than the Panoramas.

I've always taken a great deal of pride in the fact used ACI speakers are pretty hard to find. Our customers tend to be exceedingly satisfied . . .  exactly what we shoot for.

The porting in the Panorama is there to extend the response into the low 40s. In the Talisman, the crossover is much higher than the frequency the port is working in.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2006, 01:30 am »
If we want to infuse complication as the above poster alluded to, one has to take into consideration the fact that the Talisman SE's are "sealed" speakers and the regular Panorama and Sapphire XL's are ported. I have not heard the latter two ported speakers, but assume there must be at least some subtle differences between these sealed/ported styles that would be complementary. It also opens up the preferential can of worms: sealed vs ported speakers. The "Pan Head 250's" (i.e. Talisman SE) were one of the few sealed tower/floor standing speakers that I actually could find. Now getting your mitts on the the elusive sealed tower is going to even be more difficult. I'm glad I got my set when I did and I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon! 

The range the port works in is far below where we're crossing to the sub in the Talisman, so the port is really not an issue.  And as you know,  the Talisman SE is really much more than a sealed tower. If we used the same woofer without the custom electronics, the F3 would be an octave higher and the Q would be higher as well.  You've got the spirit, I bet you will be loving these for a LONG time  :D

Night_Train

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2006, 10:37 pm »
<Quote> You've got the spirit <Quote>

I hope you meant this as one positively charged spirit over an adversarial negatively charged spirit; since, I do not believe in majick lest I backslide. In that case, the talisman might come in handy!

(The posting functions assigned to my account are something left to be desired. They still do not work and consistently log me out many times before I post and then I need to refresh my screen and the message posts and subsequently logs me off the system. Time, after time, after time.....

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2006, 04:28 pm »
<Quote> You've got the spirit <Quote>

I hope you meant this as one positively charged spirit over an adversarial negatively charged spirit; since, I do not believe in majick lest I backslide. In that case, the talisman might come in handy!

(The posting functions assigned to my account are something left to be desired. They still do not work and consistently log me out many times before I post and then I need to refresh my screen and the message posts and subsequently logs me off the system. Time, after time, after time.....

Night Train:

Have you posted your concerns in the Town Square? Perhaps one of the site gurus can help you out . . .

Night_Train

« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2006, 05:25 pm »
[/quote]

Night Train:

Have you posted your concerns in the Town Square? Perhaps one of the site gurus can help you out . . .
[/quote]

Probably I am going to have to try that advice because nothing works right AT ALL. No editing or other functions. Logs me off when I post and have to refresh my screen in order to return to the forum; at which point the system tells me it was my fault and I must have pushed the post button more than once. When I try to take a quote by using the buttons, it inserts every line from previous posted reply to the current posted reply and I have to erase all manually in order to not repost the whole shabang again. It is a mess on my end and no functions are working. Said more here than I need to I guess and it is hard to explain what is going on without someone experiencing it for themselves.

finsup

« Reply #25 on: 2 Dec 2006, 01:11 am »
...In most rooms, and most setups, this won't be an issue. If however, your room is quite large, ....[and] really like to crank it...will find the Panorama to be the perfect choice. I hope this helps with your decision, you're a winner either way :)

Mike -- what is a "larger room" in your mind's eye?  How many cubic feet?

Thanks,
--Michael

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #26 on: 2 Dec 2006, 03:50 pm »
...In most rooms, and most setups, this won't be an issue. If however, your room is quite large, ....[and] really like to crank it...will find the Panorama to be the perfect choice. I hope this helps with your decision, you're a winner either way :)

Mike -- what is a "larger room" in your mind's eye?  How many cubic feet?

Thanks,
--Michael

Michael:

That's a very tough question to answer because there are some other variables to consider:
-How absorptive vs. reflective is the room
-Are there openings to other spaces, how large, etc.
-How much of the cubic footage is due to higher than avg. ceilings
-Where is the primary listening position in relationship to the speakers
-And perhaps the biggest one, what max volume levels are required
-And, there's a big difference between with and without sub(s)

Some anecdotal info: My primary room at home is nearly 7000 cu.ft. with mostly 8' ceiling.  The main listening portion of the room with the speakers and seating is around 2000 cu.ft.  The Sapphire XLs fill up the main listening area at moderate levels even without a sub. With sub kicking in at 80Hz, we can get pretty loud in that main listening area.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #27 on: 2 Dec 2006, 05:24 pm »
My room is 1872 cubic feet. I had the old Sapphire 3s (I have not heard the XLs) with an old Velodyne ULD 18 and that combination did a very good job but after a while I wanted a little more full range to the sides so I upgraded to the Panoramas and that made a huge difference. Then my Velo died and because they could not repair it they made me a good deal on a newer Velo HGX15. I did not like it, it went back! Then I went to the Maestro. Wow, the Maestro stomped the Velo! I always wondered what dual subs would be like so I got another Maestro. They may be big, but with a little controlling a pair of subs to me is the only way to go! Now I got full range, 2 channel. I like low end as long as it it tight and not over bearing. I am still tweeking due to the latest Maestro still breaking in.
So my room is not that big and I have a lot of speaks in it and like to some time play concert volumes and other times while housework is going on, fill the house with sound. That is my ACI story. :D
So of course Mike is correct. It depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve.  Room size, volume you like to listen, amp size, music taste, furnishings, significant other approval, budget and the list goes on!

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jul 2007, 12:22 am »
Gee, I think I'll wake up a REALLY old post.

Last night we cracked open our first Blu-Ray disk on a Pany BD10 (2.2 firmware)
and experienced DTS HD. Using 5.1 direct into the Ol B&K (like DVDA, but better)

It didn't take long for my buddie to say `Holly S*^t, did you hear that!'
Followed by many comments for the next hour, there was
`Man, these speaks are fantastic!' ...........Yep ;)

I have no doubt the XL range is a step ahead with the new drivers, but the Ol Panys,
Essence center and Sapphires are feeling new life with the great new codecs on BD.

Amazing - you get used to the set and tend to forget - Nice