Some real good jazz here...

jimmyp58

« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2004, 02:42 am »
How about a little Ray Brown "Some Of My Best Friends Are ... The Piano Players".  Good stuff!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2004, 05:21 am »
Quote from: rosypup

Is tower still having a sale?
The Columbia/Sony sale is over in the store (weekend sale).Check website....might be on sale there. But never fear...Labor Day sales are coming....and Tower usually runs a big summer clearance sale in Sept. (has in the past few years) :)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2004, 05:23 am »
Quote from: jimmyp58
How about a little Ray Brown "Some Of My Best Friends Are ... The Piano Players".  Good stuff!
Thats a good cd , as is , "Some of my Best Friends are....Guitar Players"....Ray Brown and guests !!! :)

JazzCat

« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2004, 10:16 am »
The Tower sale on Sony/Columbia/Legacy series has ended.  However, there is now a sale there on Blue Note, so get to it.

The Rudy Van Gelder remastered series (RVG) continues with more great titles:

1964 was a very good year:

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers- Free For All (RVG Edition)  Recorded on February 10, 1964 at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

An intense jam session extraordinaire from 1964 by his best overall group - Shorter, Hubbard, Walton, and Workman collide in the jazz equivalent of a hard-rock jam.  Warning - this disc is not mellow - prepare to be blown away by the energy captured on this disc. A stone-cold masterpiece - highly recommended!

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up (RVG Edition)  Recorded on June 2, 1964 at CBS Studios, Paris.

On the mellow, hypnotic side, here is the jazz equivalent of trance - check out "Tanya".   An 18-minute, 15 second classic.  I saw this cat play this live in the 70's and it was good, real good.  LongTall was the missing link between Prez and Coltrane and he could play inside or out.  A tone on saxophone the consistency of a good scotch - put "Darn That Dream" on when the ladies come over.  Also has Donald Byrd playing his butt off.  He was never better.  Kenny Drew on piano and an amazing 18-year-old Danish bassist named Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen.   Europe was good to Dexter and it shows.  This is the real deal! Recommended.

rosypup

« Reply #24 on: 27 Aug 2004, 04:14 pm »
Thanks for the tower tips.  Should I go now or wait to labor day?

A while back there was an older black guy that worked there and he made some great recommendations to me.  Last time I was there, I heard he may not be there anymore.

They do have a very good jazz selection there,  but they are also a little pricey.

jimmyp58

« Reply #25 on: 27 Aug 2004, 11:00 pm »
I'd agree with the other Ray Brown title ... great stuff!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2004, 05:39 am »
Quote from: rosypup
Thanks for the tower tips.  Should I go now or wait to labor day?

A while back there was an older black guy that worked there and he made some great recommendations to me.  Last time I was there, I heard he may not be there anymore.

They do have a very good jazz selection there,  but they are also a little pricey.
The Blue Note sale is on now. Lots of great selections for $9.74 ($12.99 stickers). All Blue Notes are 25% off. I don't know what they will be doing for Labor Day yet....but lots of great artists on Blue Note.
    An idea...google Blue Note, check site for artists that interest you, and check allmusic.com for reviews and info on artist and recording. Have fun !!! :) [/list:u]
      To make it easier....Here's the
Blue Note link.[/list:u]

jimmyp58

« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2004, 07:48 am »
I forgot, if you like acoustical guitar, almost anything from Peter White is incredible.  "Glow" is my favorite but there isn't a bad one in the rest either.

Jim

jimmyp58

« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2004, 07:49 am »
Though I am a jazz enthusiast, I have ZERO Duke Ellington's in my collection.  Any recommendations?

Jim

lonewolfny42

« Reply #29 on: 28 Aug 2004, 08:04 am »
Quote from: jimmyp58
Though I am a jazz enthusiast, I have ZERO Duke Ellington's in my collection.  Any recommendations?

Jim
Masterpieces by Ellington (Columbia/Legacy CK87043) - this ones an absolute no-brainer must, a recently reissued 24-bit remastered version of Duke's favorite compositions, four of them done for the first time in uncut versions from 1950, plus bonus tracks. This is the Ellington orchestra at arguably best of many career high points – la crème de la creme. Now this one was never reviewed by Penguin guide, simply because - it was never released on CD before!
Start at the beginning of this thread....this was mentioned first. Also, "Money Jungle" and "Far East Suite". All excellent !! And check allmusic.com for reviews....a good source for info.
    The cd below is excellent and on sale at Tower....picked up a few more Blue Notes tonite.... :lol: [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #30 on: 28 Aug 2004, 08:48 am »
Here's a very good Jazz site......All About Jazz... check it out !! :)

BeeBop

« Reply #31 on: 28 Aug 2004, 10:06 am »
Wolfy's right about "Money Jungle". Just picked it up and that is some fine stuff. Ellington, Mingus and Roach. Taslk about a dream team. Interesting to see the credits list Mingus as "Charlie Mingus" - only for those who knew him way back when, I s'pose.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2004, 10:52 am »
Quote from: BeeBop
Wolfy's right about "Money Jungle". Just picked it up and that is some fine stuff. Ellington, Mingus and Roach. Taslk about a dream team. Interesting to see the credits list Mingus as "Charlie Mingus" - only for those who knew him way back when, I s'pose.
Thank you BeeBop !! :)
    I've been looking around that
Blue Note site , and found a few more (10) cds that I'll pick up today. Good site , even has comments area where you can post a review......NICE !!! 8) [/list:u]
    I also see that
Pat Barber has a new live cd coming out. I enjoy her work....looking forward to hearing the new one !! :dance: [/list:u]

jimmyp58

« Reply #33 on: 28 Aug 2004, 12:56 pm »
Thanks for the info....

Jim

BeeBop

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2005, 11:13 am »
Lee Morgan (trumpet); The Sidewinder; Blue Note (Rudy Van Gelder edition); with Joe Henderson (tenor sax), Barry Harris (piano), Bob Cranshaw (bass) and Billy Higgins (drums)

Another masterpiece from the sweet spot of jazz - the 50s & 60s. This one from 1963, with wonderful sound thanks to a Rudy van Gelder remaster. When I listen to jazz from that era, I get this sense that these people were confident that they knew what jazz really was.

Bob Parlocha is the guy who turned me on to Lee Morgan. If you stay up all night or get up early in the morning, you can catch some of the fine stuff Bob plays on our local Jazz station.

Every tune on the CD is original Lee Morgan material and really rocks. This is one tight group. Incredibly, the CD is only $10.99 on amazon.com and worth much much more. Four stars and a crown in the Penguin Guide to jazz. A must-have for all you serious jazz fans out there. Morgan was one of those jazz greats who got snared by the habit, so there is not a lot of material in the catalog, but what there is is all top drawer.  Other Morgan albums with 4 stars in the Guide: Search for a New Land, Charisma, Live at the Lighthouse.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #35 on: 26 Feb 2005, 02:49 pm »
BeeBop,
Thanks for the site link, and especially the heads up on Sidewinder.  I just went over to Rhapsody and listened to the whole album (that's what I love about Rhapsody).  Great stuff.  It's on my list.  Thx,

Wolf,
If you are on the Blue Note site, and don't know Jacky Terrason, check him out.  Great eclectic jazz pianist.  Smile is one of this best.  But his collaboration with Cassandra Wilson (I assume you know her), called Rendezvous, is very very good.

Ted

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #36 on: 26 Feb 2005, 03:07 pm »
Here are a few I have really enjoyed lately:

Ramsey Lewis Trio - Time Flies, The In Crowd
Bob James Trio - Take It From the Top
Roland Kirk - Kirk in Copenhagen, Domino
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Cannonball Adderly & The Poll-Winners
Cannonball & Coltrane
Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else
Thelonious Monk - It's Monk's Time
Bill Frisell - Unspeakable

George

BeeBop

« Reply #37 on: 26 Feb 2005, 05:10 pm »
Second Jacky Terrason - c'est superb!, and Coltrane, Monk, and Adderley. One Adderley album I really like is "Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley"; Capitol Jazz. The cut of "A Sleepin' Bee" on this CD is worth the price of the entire disc and, for me, is the definitive rendition of a really great song. Nancy Wilson is a great vocal interpreter who does not get enough notice IMHO. And Cannonball is just the perfect gentleman. Mostly there in the background, embellishing, laying down the line. These two had to have been in love in some damn way, and if you look at Nancy, you can sure understand where Cannonball might of been comin' from :mrgreen:. Another great Amazon bargain at $10.99. I'd like to say that it just don't get any better, but as usual, Capitol screws the sonics. This is what happens when you have a record label run by accountants. Unfortunately, not one of the titles in the Fantasy Jazz catalogue.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #38 on: 27 Feb 2005, 10:51 am »
Quote from: ted_b
BeeBop,
Thanks for the site link, and especially the heads up on Sidewinder.  I just went over to Rhapsody and listened to the whole album (that's what I love about Rhapsody).  Great stuff.  It's on my list.  Thx,

Wolf,
If you are on the Blue Note site, and don't know Jacky Terrason, check him out.  Great eclectic jazz pianist.  Smile is one of this best.  But his collaboration with Cassandra Wilson (I assume you know her), called Rendezvous, is very very good.

Ted
Glad to see some further interest in this thread. With so much good jazz out there, it's great that people are "paying attention"... 8) Yes, Jacky Terrason...excellent piano work. And Lee Morgan...sounding sweet....plus RVG produced !!! If your checking out the Blue Notes....look for RVG produced cd's.....most always rate very highly..... ***** A new idea....Gene Harris. Has a great collection on Concord, and on Blue Note check for "Gene Harris and the Three Sounds - "Live At The "IT Club" , Vol.'s 1 and 2. I happen to like "Vol. 2" better...YMMV.
    [/list:u]

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #39 on: 27 Feb 2005, 11:12 am »
    Quote from: BeeBop

I haven't listened to this in a while, but my recollection is that Mingus is more approachable on this work than on some of his solo/later work??
    Some of Mingus' stuff can be a bit "out there" (not that there's anything WRONG with that, but it's not always a style that is appreciated). Maybe it was the influence of Ellington??