Some real good jazz here...

BeeBop

« on: 19 Aug 2004, 10:24 am »
The fifties and sixties were a sweet spot for jazz. Recording quality had improved considerably and a lot of the performers we now think of as giants were just starting to come into their own: Sonny Rollins, Clifford Brown, Cannonball Adderley, Max Roach, Sarah Vaughan - an age of some really swinging jazz.

Clifford Brown and Max Roach At Basin Street; Clifford Brown (trumpet), Max Roach (drums), Sony Rollins (tenor sax), Richie Powell (piano), George Morrow (base); Emarcy/Mercury recorded 1956, remastered to CD 1990 (Polygram).

For some reason this CD does not show up in the 5th Ed Penguin Guide to Jazz, but it is hard to see it earning less than 4 stars (IMHO). Maybe it was in an earlier edition. Maybe you just can't get it any more. Historically a minor landmark as the Emarcy debut of the Saxophone Collossus himself - Sonny Rollins. He had just joined the band in 1955 after having already made his mark with some very highly regarded work the year before. A lot of great material - some jazzed up Cole Porter, and Benny Golson's "Step Lightly". Golson's stuff is always toe-tapping good. This is very very good swinging jazz. Very good audio quality. Highly recommended.

Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown; Sarah Vaughan (vocals), Clifford Brown (trumpet), Paul Quinichette (tenor sax), Herbie Mann (flugelhorn), Jimmy Jones (piano), Joe Benjamin (bass), Roy Haynes (drums), Ernie Wilkins (arranger/composer); Emarcy/Mercury recorded 1954, remastered 1990 (Polygram).

Somebody at Emarcy really knew their stuff: the jazz publishing powerhouse produced a ton of well recorded great jazz. This is a young and Sassy Sarah - she would have been 30 at the time; recordings like this made her a jazz giant. What a voice. What timing. What a singer. There is a good picture of her on the cover, smooth-faced and intense.  And funny how the really good singers always seem to find themselves in the company of really good side men. Another recording you won't find in the 5th edition Penguin Guide, but again worth 4 stars (IMHO). Very good audio quality. Highly recommended.

JazzCat

« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2004, 11:46 am »
Sarah Vaughn with Clifford Brown is listed in the Penguin Guide, but as Sarah Vaughn (Verve 543305-2).  In fact they give it the vaunted Crown, a distinction given to only the best jazz recordings (all time top 100), and given to only one other singer - Betty Carter -The Audience with Betty Carter, (Verve 835684 2CD).  They talk about the Clifford Brown Basin Street recording as part of the expansive 10 CD Emarcy package, simply entitled "Brownie" (Emarcy 838306-16).  This is for completists only.  A better value, if you can find it, is Alone Together: The Best Of The Mercury Years (Emarcy 3145263732), a 2 CD set celebrating the best of Brownie and Roach over their short time together in this world.

The good news is that there are starting to reissue these recording in hybrid-SACD format, so (hopefully) the sonic quality will be improved for those in the digital domain.  If you have the original LP's of these famous recordings, you are fortunate.

Some other "sleepers" to get from the 50's include:

Stan Getz - The Complete Roost Recordings (Roost 859622-3CD), with Jimmy Raney on guitar, a fabulous package that defines the swinging sound of pre-Bossa Getz, and the sax/guitar combo of Getz and Raney, two beautifully matched souls each with the gift of melodic improvisation.

Masterpieces by Ellington (Columbia/Legacy CK87043) - this ones an absolute no-brainer must, a recently reissued 24-bit remastered version of Duke's favorite compositions, four of them done for the first time in uncut versions from 1950, plus bonus tracks.  This is the Ellington orchestra at arguably best of many career high points – la crème de la creme.  Now this one was never reviewed by Penguin guide, simply because - it was never released on CD before!  Get it right now on sale for under $10 at Tower Records.

BeeBop

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2004, 12:20 pm »
Jazzcat - thanks for the corrections and the suggestions. It does indeed deserve that crown. For those who might want to search this out, the jewel case says "Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown" - on the front (although the with part is smaller) and on the edge, and that is how amazon.com lists it, as does the Library of Congress.

ohenry

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2004, 12:50 pm »
Thanks guys regarding the SV/CB album info.  I just ordered mine. :)

ohenry

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2004, 01:56 pm »
I just recieved the Sarah/Clifford CD from UsedCDWorld.com.  I ordered Thursday and it was in my mailbox on Saturday morning.  And it's mint!!!   :D

From the first listen, I agree with the guys above that it's a great album.   :)  

And if your looking for lightening fast service at good prices, UsedCDWorld is the ticket.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2004, 06:10 pm »
Any more info on the Ellington disc?  There seems to be about 3 - 4 of them.  After taking a quarter of Ellington with Kenny Burrell, I just can't pass this up.

Dmason

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2004, 06:41 pm »
definitely go to www.referencerecordings.com and get Hyman plays Ellington. This was recorded direct to disc and is HDCD. It is easily the best redbook CD I own, and I have some good ones. The playing is jaw dropping. "Just do it"  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2004, 06:52 pm »
Duke, Mingus, and Roach.... "Money Jungle"...an excellent cd !!! :)

JazzCat

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2004, 10:57 pm »
Yes, Money Jungle is a blowin'-session supreme of old school vs. two modernist heavyweights, a "rumble in the jungle" if you will.  Mingus steals this session, alas the only man the Duke ever fired from his orchestra, allegally because he pulled a knife on one of his bandmates during a heated argument.  Go figure - this cat was crazy, but man could he play!  Check out The Far East Suite - Special Mix for world music of the highest order, way ahead of its time.  Contains the ultimate alto sound of Johnny Hodges, DIDing his way on a classic Isfahan.  Heads up gentlemen, this is the sound of seduction, audio foreplay.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2004, 11:07 pm »
JazzCat,
    Thanks for the info. I hope this thread keeps going. Lots of very good jazz out there besides the "usual suspects" that everyone always mentions....lets dig deep... 8) [/list:u]

ooheadsoo

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2004, 11:07 pm »
A little Max is probably my favorite tracks on Money Jungle.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2004, 03:41 am »
Stopped by Tower Records last nite and picked up "Masterpieces By Ellington". What an excellent cd this is ! :D  Originally recorded in 1950, the 24 Bit digital remaster sounds great !! Hard to believe its been 54 years since it was recorded (it sounded that good !!!).  Three extra bonus tracks and on sale for $9.74. 8)
    While I was there I also grabbed two other cds , Laurindo Almeida and Bud Shank "Brazilliance" , Volume 1 and Volume 2. If you like Latin Bossa Nova style jazz, can't go wrong with these. These albums led to the later forming of the L.A. 4....one of my favorite jazz groups. :) [/list:u]
      It was a good nite !!! :dance: [/list:u]

BeeBop

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2004, 10:25 am »
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm adding these to my list. There is just so much Ellington out there, it's hard to chose.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2004, 10:29 am »
Hard to help it when you continually tour and record with your band for over 50 looooong years.  No down time for Duke and his men.  I think he put copyright on well over 1000 pieces of music written just for his band, his men, as well.

BeeBop

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2004, 10:33 am »
Quote from: ohenry
... looking for lightening fast service at good prices, UsedCDWorld is the ticket.

I went to their web site and all I get is a generic page explaining their buying and selling policies with links to amazon, among others. I noticed that I was redirected from www.usedcdworld.com to http://www.members.aol.com/usedcdworld/index.htm

Is this an AOL members only site? Maybe I got them when they were down for repairs?

ohenry

« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2004, 12:27 pm »
I went to their web site and all I get is a generic page explaining their buying and selling policies with links to amazon, among others. I noticed that I was redirected from www.usedcdworld.com to http://www.members.aol.com/usedcdworld/index.htm

I found them through a search for the Vaughn/Brown CD on Amazon, their link came up as a supplier.  It appears that you need to contact them with your title/artist name, evidently there is no browsing.  :(

ohenry

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2004, 12:34 pm »
BTW, does anyone have any Mapleshade jazz recommendations?

JazzCat

Some real good jazz here ...
« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2004, 01:58 pm »
Why not start with a sampler to figure out what you like:

http://mapleshaderecords.com/reviews/06132.php

or this

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/reviews/08132.php

Beyond that, this looks interesting and is highly lauded:

CLIFFORD JORDAN QUARTET: Live At Ethell's

Stereophile said, "simply one of the most natural-sounding jazz discs I have heard." Audiophiles everywhere tell us this is their reference for warm tenor sax tone, realistic jazz club ambience, and palpable imaging. Clifford's best-ever live session. Used by Audio Research to test every new design since 1993. A Fi Magazine SuperDisc and a Bound For Sound Recording of Exceptional Merit. (#56292)

I think the one to get was a Roland Hanna piano CD, but it is no longer in print.  The title slips my mind ...

srclose

« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2004, 04:03 pm »
The Loud Minority Band is quite a bit of fun (Mapleshade).

rosypup

« Reply #19 on: 26 Aug 2004, 01:29 pm »
I see that there appears to be some good jazz recommendations and some knowledgeable jazz folks.  Great to see you all here.  

I agree that the 50's and 60's were a special time for jazz.

I will check out the recommendations. I'm not going to make any myself today.  

Who am I really fond of?  Johnny Griffin and Donald Byrd for two.

Is tower still having a sale?