Maggies, NAD vs. Odyssey Audio

John151

« on: 18 Aug 2004, 05:10 am »
I currently have an NAD T762 receiver that I am very happy with.  Said receiver powers a complete set of 5 Magnepan MMG speakers (MMG L/F, MMG-C center, MMG W for rears).  

The above will be set up in a new HT room being built in the basement.  The room was designed by Rives Audio for the Maggies, and will have all of the accoustical treatments you would expect.  The NAD and MMG L/R have been played with and sound great, but the entire set up has not been connected yet.  

Once the room is operational, I expect that I will need to upgrade the MMG L/R due to the size of the room.  If I do this, I will likely jump to the 3.6 model, which may be too much for my NAD receiver.  Thus, I am thinking of using the NAD to drive the rears, and as a pre-amp for the fronts.   Many maggie owners are raving about Odyssey Amps.  What say you, would the HT3 be an good addition to the above?  If I order now, I just might get it in time.

Thanks, John

alex_odyssey_sg

• http://www.odysseyaudiosg.com
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2004, 10:06 am »
Hi John,

I'm the odyssey dealer in singapore. We were just thinking of bringing in a pair of Maggies 3.6 into the showroom to 'test' out how the combination would sound. I really think it would be a great combo as raved by many Maggie owners. I will definitely post results once we set it up and have a listen...

In the same breath, I have quite a few enquiries about Stratos driving Martin Logans. I have read many raving about this combo as well. Does anyone have experience?

Alex

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2004, 10:58 am »
At this point it sounds like your room cost more than your gear.  Great way to start.  I would guess it is the other way around for 99.7% of the rest of us.  So, just to keep everything in balance I'd vote for Mono-Extremes x 5. :wink:

John151

The Room Is Critical
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2004, 01:14 pm »
Max - Yes, I agree, the room is often overlooked.  It is actually cheaper in the long run to put money into the room before the equipment.  My plan is to go with MidFi equipment, in a MidFi room (I spent only a fraction of the money that is possible on the room), to get way above avg sound.  

Alex - I look forward to hearing the results of your "test".

I forgot to mention that the room was primarily designed for 2 channel, with HT a 2nd priority.  Therefore, I am wondering if I want a 2 or 3 channel amp (i.e. LR vs. LRC).  Is there a downside to the HT3 vs. a 2 channel?  I am not sure I want to go with MonoBlocks, but I am easily influenced.

Would the NAD receiver work well as a pre-amp for the Stratos?

Pirate

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2004, 01:27 pm »
I just changed from a Nad c-370 using the Preamp for my Odyssey equipment. It worked fine but I am not at all sorry for replacing it with the Tempest.  Nad is good but Odyssey takes it way up from there.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2004, 03:19 pm »
Quote from: alex_odyssey_sg
Hi John,

I'm the odyssey dealer in singapore. We were just thinking of bringing in a pair of Maggies 3.6 into the showroom to 'test' out how the combination would sound. I really think it would be a great combo as raved by many Maggie owners. I will definitely post results once we set it up and have a listen...

Alex

If you want to hear those speakers at their best you need to do your homework about speaker placement, because the big maggies can sound terrible if not set up properly, which is very common in showrooms with a lot of gear and limited space. Set up properly means they need to be at least  0.6 times ceiling height of the room away of the back wall, and at least 0.238 times room width off the side walls, and ideally there should be no large objects (racks, TVs) between them.  Depending on room size you may want to experiment with tweeter inside or outside, toe-in, etc.

It takes quite some time to set up properly, and generally a showroom is not the best place to hear these speakers, unless you have a single speaker demo area. It would not be fun to listen to other box speaker's resonances in the same room when you really want to hear a planar speaker.

Anyway - hook them up to the Mono Extreme's and you'll be set. The other amps just don't have the grunt to handle those speakers above low listening levels.

Peter

Anton

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2004, 10:44 pm »
I had a pair of Magneplar 3.6R driven by four Stratos Monoblocks in biamp mode (not the Extremes). They matched perfectly. The Maggies sounded much fuller, detailed, fast, huge deep soundstage, and the bass was deep and controlled (that 800 damping factor surely helps).

You can see my Stratos reviews in Audioreview.

About a year ago I had to change speakers due to the WAF, and acquired a pair of Silverline Sonata II. Again, the Stratos are driving these speakers and its a match made in heaven.

Give the Stratos a try with the Maggies. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Happy listening!

alex_odyssey_sg

• http://www.odysseyaudiosg.com
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2004, 11:35 pm »
Quote from: speedcenter
If you want to hear those speakers at their best you need to do your homework about speaker placement, because the big maggies can sound terrible if not set up properly, which is very common in showrooms with a lot of gear and limited space. Set up properly means they need to be at least  0.6 times ceiling height of the room away of the back wall, and at least 0.238 times room width off the side walls, and ideally there should be no large objects (racks, TVs) between them.  Depending on room size you may wa ...

Exactly the reason why I am still 'thinking' about it and not done it yet. Limited space wouldn't do justice to the Maggies. Sigh...anyway...maybe I'll stick with the current setup...

Musky_Don

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2004, 02:45 am »
John151,

I live in Arlington Heights.  I have a pair of the 'regular' monos and a pair of the extreme monos.  The regular monos are out of service as I am re-building the basement.  If you want to hear either in your system - or mine - let me know.  I appreciate good scotch - lol.  Once you hear them, I believe you will want them - mine are not for sale.  Let me know.

Don

John151

Sounds Good
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2004, 05:16 am »
Don - I welcome the opportunity to listen to a good set to stratos. However, my room is not ready, but my speaker can travel.  I am a beer drinker, but I am sure I can get a bottle of scotch, or perhaps we could compromise on a good bottle of Mezcal.

Marbles

Re: Sounds Good
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2004, 01:19 pm »
Quote from: John151
 or perhaps we could compromise on a good bottle of Mezcal.

I don't think they make such a thing  :lol:

(and you can have the worm..... :P  )

Musky_Don

« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2004, 03:39 am »
John151 - Ill send you a PM with my phone number.

John151

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2004, 01:26 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
 or perhaps we could compromise on a good bottle of Mezcal.

I don't think they make such a thing  :lol:

(and you can have the worm..... :P  )

Ah, so you know the difference between Tequilla and Mezcal?  Most people don't.  How about a nice Caipirinha?

Marbles

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2004, 01:42 pm »

Ah, so you know the difference between Tequilla and Mezcal?  Most people don't.  How about a nice Caipirinha?

Booze is a hobby of mine  8)

In college I went to La Universidad Ibero Americano in Mexico City for a summer session.  

I got to see a lot of the city and drink everything from Pulque to Mezcal and about everything in between.  I haven't tried Caipirinha though.  Mezcal and Tequila are for nights that my family is out of town and I feel like ripping it up.

Just make sure you appologize to everyone before you start drinking Mezcal (or Tequila) and don't forget to appologize the next time you see them as well  :wink:   :lol:

Oh, and while we're on the subject, I don't have maggies, but all my amps are Odyssey or Symphonic Line (Parent design of Odyssey).  I think you will be very happy and consider it an upgrade if you get them.

rivon

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2004, 02:02 pm »
Glad to know an audiophile that is well versed in mexican ethylic traditions, by the way tequila is a kind of mezcal, it was used to be called "mezcal de Tequila" the main difference is the type of agave that is used (tequila's blue agave vs. mezcal green agave) and the region where it is produced, my taste tends towards tequila but there are great mezcals (try the Oaxacan ones).

Salud!

best regards,

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2004, 06:12 pm »
Oh yes Rivon, you'll find out that Marbles is quite a guy who loves to enjoy all the good things in life, food, wine, girls and audio.

It is great you join us here Roberto (rivon).

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2004, 06:18 pm »
I now know why I disliked Mezcal....I was taught to lick that crappy peppery tasting stuff before doing shots.

I guess I should give it another try.

Eduardo, guilty as charged..... :mrgreen:

F-100

« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2004, 06:31 pm »
While we're on the subject of Tequila, can you guys give me some good recommendation? Currently, I like Patron Tequila. Good stuff and it doesn't give you a hangover the next morning :)

jackman

« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2004, 06:47 pm »
Since you asked...

I have a couple favorites, but can only remember the name of one: Herradura Tequila Anejo.  The second is in a slim, tall bottle on top of my kitchen cabinet. I received two bottles as a gift from a Mexican friend and can't remember the name.  It's my favorite and I'll provide the name as soon as I walk downstairs.  

Tequila can be fun but I can still remember a couple bad hangovers when I was in college (or just out of college).  They both involved Cuervo (not my favorite) but don't kid yourself.  ANY tequila, no matter how good, will give you a headache if you overindulge!

J

John151

« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2004, 11:36 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Since you asked...
Tequila can be fun but I can still remember a couple bad hangovers when I was in college (or just out of college).  They both involved Cuervo (not my favorite) but don' ...

Yes, but the better Tequillas, or any booze for that matter, seem to have less of an affect.  

I only recently learned to actually enjoy tequilla, vs the "slammers" I did in college.  I actually sip it now.  

BTW - Jackman, do I know you from Harmonic Discord?