Jupiter copper foil and wax paper capacitors

grannyring

Re: Jupiter copper foil and wax paper capacitors
« Reply #20 on: 3 May 2014, 09:19 pm »
I placed these new caps in my Thor TPA 30 amp. I have Duelund caps in many electronic pieces and know the CAST cap well. The Jupiter caps are very similar. Both have this uncanny ability to reduce noise, noise you thought was not even there. Both give music a solidly and sureness that is hard to explain. Both are outstanding. Here is the one difference I detect......

The CAST cap is a tad pushed or highlighted in the mids. Just a tad. Some hear this as increased resolution. The Jupiter caps are even handed top to bottom and do not in the least highlight any portion of the sound spectrum. This, in the end, makes them a tad more musical and at ease to me.

I have more on order for my digital front end now. I find these caps beautiful sounding in every way. Nothing forced or upfront about them. Naturally beautiful sounding.

Duelund was my standard, these are now my new standard.

Nick77

« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2014, 10:32 pm »
I want to try these in my speaker xo, any updates on lower volts?

WireNut

« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2014, 08:29 am »
Will we ever see them in larger values beyond 1.0 ?

wisnon

« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2014, 08:41 am »
I placed these new caps in my Thor TPA 30 amp. I have Duelund caps in many electronic pieces and know the CAST cap well. The Jupiter caps are very similar. Both have this uncanny ability to reduce noise, noise you thought was not even there. Both give music a solidly and sureness that is hard to explain. Both are outstanding. Here is the one difference I detect......

The CAST cap is a tad pushed or highlighted in the mids. Just a tad. Some hear this as increased resolution. The Jupiter caps are even handed top to bottom and do not in the least highlight any portion of the sound spectrum. This, in the end, makes them a tad more musical and at ease to me.

I have more on order for my digital front end now. I find these caps beautiful sounding in every way. Nothing forced or upfront about them. Naturally beautiful sounding.

Yes G, I hear they are stunningly good for the money..new reference good.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2014, 05:14 pm »
Yes, the 100V ones are being done next....soon.  Values will be about the same as the current 100V caps (1uf-15uf).

Nick77

« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2014, 05:34 pm »
Yes, the 100V ones are being done next....soon.  Values will be about the same as the current 100V caps (1uf-15uf).

Ric will the 100v caps start at 1uf? If one wanted to just use as a bypass in speakers then you would have to use the 600v?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2014, 06:28 pm »
Here are some impressions I posted on AN, after just a few hours of break in:

I actually enjoy hearing break-in sometimes, and these caps have been fun so far... usually the first few hours show major changes and these are no different.

They went from about the same as my RelCaps to major improvement since I posted last.

My system has ONE coupling cap and 2 stages of SET amplification, no passive crossover and very low parts count so the coupling caps make a massive difference. The Jupiters have made a massive difference for the better so far... tone, dynamics, detail... everything. They seem to affect the signal much less than my last caps and my system also seems louder, although that can't be the case.

I am SUPER impressed so far and at the price he is selling these for I can't see why anyone would even consider using a different coupling cap unless they are Duelund silver, which are likely 50x the price. It seems like Jupiter has made the cap buying decision much easier... buy Jupiter if you care how much it costs, Dueleund silver if you don't...   :lol:

Ric Schultz

« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2014, 10:22 pm »
I am not sure but I think 1uf is the smallest.  Yes, use the 600V caps as bypass.  I am using .022 600V copper Jupiter's right now across my mid and tweeter caps (along with one of my .15uf modified Wimas....must have).

BobM

« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2014, 01:30 pm »
I also picked up a few and burned them in for about 50 hours before installing. I used a .1uF in my speaker crossover as a bypass to the in series caps, a 1.0uF in my phono stage as a coupling cap, and a .01uF as a bypass to a V-Cap OIMP as my preamp output coupling cap.

After the 50 hour burn in and installation things sounded very well balanced, but flat. Another 10 hours made them open up, where I got the top end extension back. Another 10 hours and later Sunday night I heard the dimensionality return. They now sound very nice indeed. Well balanced, extended, airy and without any hint of hardness or sibilence.

I bet there is a bit more burn in to go, but they are sounding very sweet indeed right now.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2014, 04:47 pm by BobM »

Chris Adams

« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2014, 02:39 pm »
BobM,

What were you using to bypass the OIMP before installing the Jupiters?  I have .01uF V-Cap TFTF bypassing OIMP caps in my pre at the moment.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2014, 03:17 pm »
Chris, you might get better results using the Jupiter caps in place of the OIMP caps with no bypass...

Chris Adams

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2014, 04:29 pm »
Dave, Yes, good idea. However, it's an ARC LS25 with four caps and they are 6.8uF. :o  It was modded by Steve Huntley of Great Northern Sound Co. In fact it was his personal unit.

BobM

« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2014, 04:46 pm »
BobM,

What were you using to bypass the OIMP before installing the Jupiters?  I have .01uF V-Cap TFTF bypassing OIMP caps in my pre at the moment.

I was just using the OIMP by itself. I had tried bypassing it with a RelCap RT, a Russian teflon, and a Sonicap Gen II, but didn't like the result of any of them. They seemed to take away the fluidity of the OIMP. The Jupiter seems to be keeping that texture and cohesiveness that the OIMP has. The OIMP is a 5.6uF so I also couldn't just replace it whole.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 12 May 2014, 05:03 pm »
Chris, yup those are some big coupling caps!  :green:

xneakers

« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2014, 03:45 pm »

Hi Grannyring,
Which CAST you are using?
The first version (which is very big in size like donut) or the new version (tubular shape like Jensen/Audio Note capacitor)?
Thanks.

grannyring

« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2014, 07:14 pm »
I have only used the newer Duelund CAST caps in the past. These Jupiter caps take a little while of burn in to sound their best. Mine now have 120 plus hours and keep getting better.

I have 12 of them in my CD player and amps. They open up so much more after 50-100 hours.

I am not sure using them as bypass caps really tells you how great they are. Too many other variables in that scenario I would think.

xneakers

« Reply #36 on: 27 May 2014, 01:04 pm »
anyone tries to compare with old donut dueland cast?

eherdian

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jun 2014, 05:03 pm »
I have 1 matched pair on the way
geezz I really curious about the sound while I read every review about this caps

Currently I put Jenser paper tube on my 300B amp, I hope this new Jupiter caps gives an improvement
I never try any of Jupiter caps before by the way.

regards,

nb:  xneaker...how about your result comparing this new cap to duelund and jensen paper tube? 
maybe you busy on your work so you haven't have any chance to compare it yet?  :lol:

eherdian

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jul 2014, 05:56 pm »
An update..

Finally, the caps delivered today and I hesitated to put in on my 300B SET amp replace Jensen paper tube.
For the first hour I noticed richer harmonic of treble, the sybilant on vocal still bit sharp compare to Jensen due un-break in caps.  Mid sound (Vocal) tad more neutral (or bit thin) compare to Jensen. But after 2-3 hour of music, I noticed the high frequency hasn't fully opened.

I need 100 hours to 200 hours more, after that I'll be back to report the sound

regards,

eherdian

Jupiter Copper Wax an update
« Reply #39 on: 18 Sep 2014, 06:07 pm »
It's been more than 3 months now since I replaced Jensen Copper Paper tube with Jupiter Copper Wax..
The main difference I noticed from jensen is high frequency harmonic and detail and more neutral vocal sound....and faster also
Bass section more punch and tight but bit sacrifice deep bass I got from jensen but it's just a little bit.

Overall I like this new caps, but sometimes I miss the warmth sound of jensen..

regards,