Looking for suggestions on an audio interface for recording vinyl without GAIN

gab

Assuming someone can get this powered up and installed in a chassis, how would it interface with a computer for recording?

Russ

Russ - I haven't gotten that far with the one I purchased a year and a half ago because the "computer" part is where I am the absolute weakest at. I also never figured out what software ripping tool to use. The A/D converter board has a S/PDIF output (as well as an AES/EBU output). When I bought it I was planning on getting the M-Audio 192 Audiophile PCI card to install in a PC but it looks like they have been discontinued when I looked today (other than some listed on Ebay). My procrastination seems to have gotten the better of me it would seem!

So this will need to be researched anew to see what interface cards or standalone units can accept an S/PDIF input and tie into the appropriate ripping software.

So maybe this isn't a viable option to solve the OP's original question. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me about PCs/Macs can chime in with a solution. I know the Mac mini has an optical TOSLINK input and that there are S/PDIF coaxial to optical converters out there, but don't know if that would work or not.

Sorry if I created any confusion in this thread.

gab

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Russ - I haven't gotten that far

I know where you're coming from.  A friend picked up a second-hand MSB ADC unit with AES/EBU outputs.  He wanted to use it for vinyl and RTR recording.  We searched for reasonably priced 24/96 AES/EBU to USB interfaces and couldn't find anything.  The only units that do that are the more expensive pro ADC/DAC interfaces that already have good converters.  Trying to make that MSB converter work was  more hassle than it was worth.

Russ

gab

I know where you're coming from.  A friend picked up a second-hand MSB ADC unit with AES/EBU outputs.  He wanted to use it for vinyl and RTR recording.  We searched for reasonably priced 24/96 AES/EBU to USB interfaces and couldn't find anything.  The only units that do that are the more expensive pro ADC/DAC interfaces that already have good converters.  Trying to make that MSB converter work was  more hassle than it was worth.

Russ

I've put in a question to Tascam about the suitability of using the US-366 for this purpose. It has S/PDIF in and USB out to the computer. Here is the link to the user manual: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/789/e_us-322_us-366_om_va.pdf

The A/D (and D/A for that matter) that looks interesting (due to 2x DSD capabilities) is the Tascam DA-3000. But it costs $1000 and doesn't appear to be able to utilize external USB drives (only a USB flash drive for playback). Here is the link to UM: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/800/e_da-3000_om_vb.pdf

You'd think getting a S/PDIF into a computer to rip your LPs without spending a bundle wouldn't be so hard.

gab

Russtafarian

The DA3000 is a great recorder.  That's the one to get if someone is willing to spend $1k. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I purchased the $9.99 version of TwistedWave today.  Pretty easy to use and seems to work great so far.  Look forward to trying it with my new recorder.   :green:

I need to buy some really good mics now so I can record (under the lid) a piano recital.   :scratch:

Russtafarian

I need to buy some really good mics now so I can record (under the lid) a piano recital.   :scratch:

You think hi-fi is expensive?  Just try and walk down that road.  :o

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Has anyone received their MixerFace?  I've sent several messages to CEntrance to hear nothing back. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Has anyone received their MixerFace?  I've sent several messages to CEntrance to hear nothing back.
I just saw this