OK guys, fresh thread here. The other Sony HAP thread got a bit off track and so this thread is dedicated to describing our new modification for the Sony HAP-Z1ES (only this model). I will list details, photos, feedback, reviews and pricing.Stock Images (Sony HAP-Z1ES):MOD IMAGES TO FOLLOW!Modification Details:
1) Stock IEC replaced with Furutech IEC, hard-wired to power input of player, eliminating molex connectors.
2) Stock analog stage and ALL op-amps are replaced with our choke/transformer inductive-coupled design, featuring a new passive I-V stage and fully balanced circuitry.
3) XLR and RCA outs both fed from tube stage. XLR outs are fully differential.
4) 'Truth' Umbilical made from 99.9999% pure Cardas Silver and Copper solid core wire and Cardas Litz for ground.
5) Upgrade of all critical digital power supply (Data, USB, and DAC supplies) with Os-Con capacitors.
6) Chassis damping applied.
7) External supply provided, to power tube stage only.Results:Fast, clean, organic, extended, RESOLVING and musical sound
. Visceral bass and extended highs with clean and sweet midrange. Dead quiet noise floor
and exceptionally low output impedance.
I am excited about this product as a solution to Ultra High End computer music playback, including DSD level playback for ALL recordings, thanks to the DSD engine which converts even 16/44.1 music to DSD resolution.I have been quietly working on this since last Nov. First unit to ship week ending April 4, 2014!
Tube complement: (2) 6922 driver. (1) 5AR4, 5U4GB, 5V4GB, 5R4GYS and equivalents for rectifier.
This design, as well as the ELYSE DAC and PH 150 Ref. Phono all share in common, a new design direction that I have been exploring for some time, making extensive use of transformers and inductive coupling. All circuits are ENTIRELY tube based, with the exception of SS voltage regulation. They all also include use of the 6922 tube that I have found ideal for use in these circuits. 6922, 6DJ8, 7308 are all acceptable tubes to be used. I am also going to evaluate 6N1P and 6H30 tubes this week!Pricing:
Full tube mod as described with external supply and 'Truth' umbilical = $2995.Intro pricing = $2495 through end of April!
I am still evaluating Bybee Rails and Audio Magic Pulse Gen to determine their benefit to this mod.
A volume control COULD be installed. I would expect that most would want remote control as well. I would not want to machine the face of the player, so I would expect the VC to mount from the rear of the player. This would make it difficult to tell what the volume level IS if using RC of course. Input from those interested in this option welcome!
Thanks and I look forward to your reply.
Please contact us if you are interested in having a HAP-Z1ES modified or have questions.We are now booking starting dates beginning: April 28, 2014!
President, ModWright Instruments