GAS Audio Jumble is Saturday, August 9th

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: GAS Audio Jumble is Saturday, August 9th
« Reply #80 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:06 am »
There's talk of doing this again in 6 months.  That means Mark and ScottF will have to hustle to buy enough gear to sell at a loss by then.   :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #81 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:06 am »
Uh, Bob, Marantz units of the 70s were ALL blue lights.    :duh:
I thought they were green?  :scratch:

bside123

« Reply #82 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:07 am »
Thanks all, and particularly Dave, for the warm welcome. It was worth the drive from Southern IL just to shake hands and put some names to faces. Wow... has our hobby been reduced to a bunch of old farts selling old gear?  :| Were y'all looking at me like I was looking at you looking at me looking at you? I forgot I was old too.  :o

Speaking of old gear, it was hard not to buy a trunk load of stuff with all of the cool receivers around... and Mike on hand, just in case they needed fixin'. Besides (no pun intended), I would of have to just haul it back next year to sell off what I bought this year. I went home with 2 LPs for a total of $2 bucks and had pizza with Blackmore. Sorry I only got 3 photos... I forgot to take pics even though the camera was hangin' 'round my neck.

Here ya' go though:

Mark trying to explain why "free" vintage turntables are really a good deal.

Thunderbrick pleads with a prospective customer and informs him of how he needs to go home having sold some gear... or else.

And the winner of the day... Scott F. pre Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Twenty minutes later, though, he was crying, and we had to spank him and give him a nap.

daves

« Reply #83 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:14 am »
and

daves

« Reply #84 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:15 am »
and

daves

« Reply #85 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:16 am »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #86 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:18 am »
I traded a pie (from SLICE OF PIE, no less) to Dave for a vintage speaker, got some of Mark's free shit, and bought one LP.

On the way home I dropped off a Scott receiver to BISL.

On I-44 I stopped in an antique store and bought three more LPs at a buck each.

Much of my remaining stuff will go to Goodwill, where I HOPE I don't buy it back.    :duh:

daves

« Reply #87 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:21 am »
Din, I think that smile on Scott's face is overwhelming joy that he will not be executed by his wife when he gets home. Liam had a blast collecting the table fee and attempting to sell the gear, carrying gear in, not so much.  :icon_lol:

And in the good news category, over 200 people showed up for our side of the event. 8)

sturgus

« Reply #88 on: 10 Aug 2014, 01:47 am »
Looks like I missed a good one. I hate having to work weekends. The only good thing is I would have come home with more stuff. Dave did you sell both Fishers? If not I know a guy that's looking for one. He was out of town and could not attend. I look forward to the next one. I will have to put in for the day off so I can be there. Glad it went well, miss hanging out with you guys.
Sturg

daves

« Reply #89 on: 10 Aug 2014, 02:00 am »
Sturgus, I have the 800 still for sale. The 400 is going to a spa for restoration.

sturgus

« Reply #90 on: 10 Aug 2014, 02:18 am »
Dave PM sent.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #91 on: 10 Aug 2014, 02:33 am »
It was great to see those that I knew and also to me some new folks. You can never have too many friends that have the same addition you have.  I got a couple of good deals and had a great time.  For once people didn't think I was crazy because all I talked about were speakers and amplifiers.

Howard
I told some of you that I was the guy with the scaring picture from Legend as my avatar but that is on another forum.  Doh!

Scott F.

« Reply #92 on: 10 Aug 2014, 04:50 am »

And the winner of the day... Scott F. pre Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Twenty minutes later, though, he was crying, and we had to spank him and give him a nap.

..and the wonders of high fructose corn syrup and copious amounts of refined sugars will never cease  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2014, 01:06 pm by Scott F. »

mjmsound

« Reply #93 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:19 pm »
I had a good time. I went there with an empty car and  came home with a car load of stuff that isn't even mine. Didn't even have much time to look around. I never got swamped by people so fast when walking into a place, WOW! I'm glad I'm appreciated. Thanks guys!!! :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #94 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:27 pm »
Yeah Mike, you're sort of a rock star for us.  We buy stuff and really rely on you make it all work.  Thanks so much and watch yourself when you fire up that tube tester of mine.  It may be like Johnny from the Fantastic Four---"Flame On!!!"   

Great to see you again and maybe you can actually hang out with us sometime instead problem solving.

Blackmore

« Reply #95 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:34 pm »
Had a great time and I finished selling first.  :thumb:  Nice to see everyone and it looked like a big success.  Thanks again to Dave for all the work and hope everyone sold enough to make it worthwhile. 

Had a nice lunch at Racanelli's with Din and Raffi and we discussed Snell vs. Dunlavy, Richard Nixon tapes, and New York pizza.  Of course we had a simple cheese pie and folded our pizza when we ate it.  Raffi liked the fact that the pie even dripped juices like a true NY slice.  Fitz' rootbeer washed it all down.

After the sale I dropped in at ScottF house and we heard the ADS 780 driven by the Cyber211 monobloc.  Big smile on our faces.  You could easily retire with this combo and just spin tunes until they wheel you out.  Voices were nice and clear and great big images of the recording venues were plain as day.  When I fired up some ZZ Top, we thought maybe adding the big woofers as a sub would be nice, but it didn't really matter.  Great score Scott.  (he gets all the cool stuff)

bside123

« Reply #96 on: 10 Aug 2014, 03:12 pm »
Had a nice lunch at Racanelli's with Din and Rafi and we discussed Snell vs. Dunlavy, Richard Nixon tapes, and New York pizza.  Of course we had a simple cheese pie and folded our pizza when we ate it.  Rafi liked the fact that the pie even dripped juices like a true NY slice.  Fitz' rootbeer washed it all down.

That would be "oil" not juices...  :nono: although I guess "juices" would be another way of looking at it, as in "juices dripping from a pizza"!? Gross.

Lunch was fun.

aidynphoenix

• Aragon 4004mk2 Yamaha C-4, NS-1000, xiangsheng728a
« Reply #97 on: 10 Aug 2014, 07:34 pm »

The highlight of my day was turning a youngling onto tubes. The guys name was John. He'd never played with anything tubed before. I ended up cutting him one heck of a deal on the little Chinese Xaing Sheng tubed preamp. I walked him through upgrading the tubes to something a little better than the stock tubes via TheTubeStore.com. Right now I imagine he's rediscovering his entire music collection, just elated with his first tube gear purchase replacing his vintage Pioneer preamp.
Hopefully, lots of good Karma on that transaction.

You slackers out there missed a good time AND a chance to thin down your herds  :wave:

Thanks!  i love it already.  it sounds fantastic.  i can't bring myself to disconnect it to audition any of the other stuff i bought :D
it's definitely taking the place of my old preamp.
~john

Scott F.

« Reply #98 on: 10 Aug 2014, 11:39 pm »
Thanks!  i love it already.  it sounds fantastic.  i can't bring myself to disconnect it to audition any of the other stuff i bought :D
it's definitely taking the place of my old preamp.
~john

That's Awesome  :thumb:   It always makes me happy to turn somebody onto tubes, It really does change the way you listen and with a little better tubes, the sound will get even better.

Oh and BTW, welcome GAS John  :wave: :green:

drummerwill

« Reply #99 on: 11 Aug 2014, 12:04 am »

Dave just to add my Thanks to the list, it was much more than I had expected. Once it got going it was like a " Barrett Jackson " auction floor. people were all over the place.

The really funny thing was to see all the older Ladies on the other side of the gym, wheelin n dealin at the same time. It was nuts!!.

I got a chance to reacquaint with some old faces and meet some new ones too.  As always was great to talk about tubes and hi efficiency speakers to some of the young folk!

Let's do it again!

Willie