$OLd:-Eastern Electric Minimax "Plus" DAC w/ Dexa op amps- $OLd

jonbee

I'm putting this back on the market at a great price- 1/2 the original price.
This great DAC is the "Plus" version, in its best configuration.

A well known and much beloved DAC uses the famed Sabre 9018 32 bit DAC chip, in a flexible, well designed and solidly built package. EE really seems to have gotten optimum results from this great chip. There are lots of reviews and posts regarding this model.

After a lot of op amp and tube rolling I found the $300 Dexa discrete op amps really make this DAC something special- a transformation of the stock unit, adding significant refinement and spaciousness to the sound.
Detailed, open, and dynamic, yet very natural and musical with a real 3-d quality that is missing with most DACs. It is a treat to listen to. It is competitive sonically with my NAD M51 DAC, which is saying a lot. At my price I don't think there is a better sounding DAC.

Very flexible inputs : AES/EBU, BNC, RCA, OPTICAL and USB. Uses asynchronous USB connection. This is no stripped down  "budget" DAC, but a carefully designed and constructed piece. Switches and connectors are very good quality and is surprisingly heavy for its' size, around 10 lbs., due to its separate power supplies and oversized transformers for analog and digital sections.
More info here:
http://www.eeaudio.com/eeaudio_012.htm
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1212/eastern_electric_minimax_dac_plus.htm
I also installed an Acme silver/ceramic fuse. I've re-installed the original EE tube, which is nearly new, but I always preferred it without a tube.
I'm the original owner. This unit is in near mint condition, with only a couple of the faintest surface scratches on top to tell it from new. Included is the original box and manual, plus a spare fuse.
Cost over $1400 new; this is a great sounding DAC!
Make a good offer and I'll give it a look. At this $ you can't do better.
Thanks for having a look.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2014, 08:24 pm by jonbee »

jonbee

Re: FS:-Eastern Electric Minimax Plus DAC w/ Dexa op amps- $OLd
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2014, 05:51 pm »
bump- back on the market at a great price.

jonbee

Bump for the weekend. Make a good offer and you'll be a happy owner!