Every now and then you get lucky....Sony PS-X700 Biotracer

shaizada

Major score!  I brought home a MINT MINT condition Sony PS-X700 Biotracer turntable. Picked it up yesterday. 4th turntable in concurrent use at my residence within the same main system.  I loaded it up with a Grace F9 L Moving Magnet cartridge and it sings gloriously!  That Biotracer arm is an engineering marvel from a particularly amazing era.  Clearly this was Sony's attempt at a very top of the line implementation of parts, engineering and sound quality. 

Racked and setup!

MaxCast

Re: Every now and then you get lucky....Sony PS-X700 Biotracer
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2014, 10:17 pm »
spill the beans...how much did the score cost??

shaizada

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2014, 12:36 am »
If I told you, I'd have to kill you!! :P

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2014, 11:14 am »
Cool table - X series Biotracer.   Never understood the name Biotracer though.  Nothing biological about it.

Here's the table at Vintage Knob:
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X700.html

neo

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2014, 11:33 am »
Hi Shaizada.
Congratulation.
What a beautiful turntable. :thumb:
They sure don't make them like that anymore.
Lucky you.

Guy 13
By the way may I ask where you got it from
unless it's a military secret?

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm »
If I told you, I'd have to kill you!! :P
Hey, I'll take one for the team.   :bomb:     :lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2014, 02:25 am »
Heh, picked up a Sony PS-X70 for $50 yesterday. Saw a X600 on ebay for $160 the day before. Sony tables are far too underrated. That 700 is a beauty.

shaizada

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2014, 03:47 am »
You guys did well at those prices....I paid just under $500 for this piece. 
It was just in perfect working and cosmetic condition.  The guy was at USC back in 1985 where he saved every penny he had to purchase this table.
He used it for about a year and packed it up.  It saw daylight last week after all these years.  Everything was pretty much mint in condition.

The only 2 things missing is a 45 rpm adapter (easily gotten off ebay probably) and the smaller counterweight precluding me from cartridges in the 15,7...22,7g range (combined with headshell and scews).

You have to see it to believe how perfect this table is.  Also, he added in a Sony XL-33 (just like this one: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109393.0) and a Shure V15 Type V-MR, both with broken cantilevers :)

I am currently figuring out which stylus to get for the Shure V15 Type V-MR...Jico SAS or Ed Saunders etc.

Also, I got to pick it up in person with no shipping hassles with possibility of damage etc.  Just a simple clean and pleasant transaction...