So I listened to the RMX...

ctviggen

« Reply #20 on: 31 Aug 2004, 02:17 pm »
My RM30C is laid down on the top of my RPTV and matching component rack.  I have no issues with it, and it's way better than the Linn it replaced. However, the tweeter is pretty close to the center of my TV; perhaps you'd notice something if the tweeter was farther over.

shokunin

« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2004, 03:04 pm »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
Don't know.  I am perturbed by the horizontal 30s non-symetrical array.  I may build a new symetrical cabinet with the tweeter centered above the three mids, the 6.5s flanking the mids.

That sounds like a great idea.  W-MMM-W with a True Free-swinging tweeter (ala RM/x) tweeter above the middle Midrange.

pjchappy

« Reply #22 on: 31 Aug 2004, 03:24 pm »
That's why I've mentioned an RM-40C would be great, with the FST rotated 90 degrees.

p

Marbles

« Reply #23 on: 31 Aug 2004, 03:46 pm »
The RM40 is too tall (long) and heavy to sit on most TV's

Jim, you've been after that speaker for almost a year, see:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=6189

Can't you get him to act on it yet?

This in a slimmer cabinet

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #24 on: 31 Aug 2004, 04:13 pm »
Yeah, remove a mid, shorten the cabinet height/width & you've got it!  I am making a sealed system because my RM30C seemed to sound better w/o the passives & sealed.  I am not looking forward to making this thing, but will start today.  I must ask B about the panel thicknesses & will check the volume of the midrange subenclosure.  I think foam on the baffle above & below the mids would be good to minimize reflections from the TV & ceiling.  I am also going to put a velcro strip along the speaker's lower horizontal edge to hang velour to cover the TV for music.  Maybe if I can get off the forum for awhile I can get started, but typing is so much more fun that cutting!  If B releases a replicate symmetrical center in near future...

I thought of placing the RM30C vertical & inverted atop the TV, just barely clearing the ceiling.  No way!  Imagine the look with the requisite side-straps around the TV for stability in earthquake country...very attractive!

ctviggen

« Reply #25 on: 31 Aug 2004, 05:17 pm »
And make the tweeter movable, like the RM-X's.  That would be a killer CC (although I think the RM30C is pretty killer, even with the tweeter where it is).

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #26 on: 31 Aug 2004, 10:38 pm »
Rob,

I have the Rm30-m and rm30-c all in vertical array and the sound is seamless. I think this might be the best trio around. It works for all types of music and movies and I have the dipole surrounds also. Brian really out did himself with these speakers.I am playing around with full range ,small speaker with sub, Full with sub and crossed over at 80 and 60.....60 seems to be winning out.

I am using the Cary 350 watt amps and their dvd/cd 6 player for now. I am also using a Cary pre/pro 8 which it's little brother just scored a 94 in Home theater mag in the last issue. The big brother that I have is an amazing pre/pro with all types of music and movies also. I have been more then pleased. I using this with one larger subwoofer and am going to add a second one soon(We just had a huge storm in Chicago and My carpet got wet and the blowers are drying everything out now.....had to cancel three auditions :cry: ).

The center fill and imaging with the Rm-30's are beyound the price that you are paying for....really amazing after setting them up correctly. I am finding out that modes like PL music really work well(I tend not to like dsp's at all) and fill the front three well.

Larry

John Casler

« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2004, 11:07 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
The RM40 is too tall (long) and heavy to sit on most TV's

Jim, you've been after that speaker for almost a year, see:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=6189

Can't you get him to act on it yet?

This in a slimmer cabinet

While, I too would like to see a 4 panel/FST WMTMW design for Center duties, I would suggest some serious consulting with Big B about the psychoacoustical interaction of an FST tweeter placed above a line array of neopanels, before I pulled out the saw.

Something tells me there are some lobing/cancelling/interacting type issues to deal with.

(but then I don't design speakers :scratch: )

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 1 Sep 2004, 03:10 am »
Larry
Do you have a perforated screen with front projector or what...?

John
That is a good warning.  On the other hand, how bad could it be vs. the current situation: a center-channel non-symmetrical horizontal line array combined with L-R vertical line arrays?  The old FF-SRE series had about 10x the theoretical maximum space (for the XO wavelength) between the tweeters & the 52" midrange array, & suffered little if any disparity (except that the current ribbons eat their lunch overall).    

I will at least listen to the tweeter atop the mids before cutting, but doubt it could be worse than the current layout.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #29 on: 1 Sep 2004, 12:15 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry
Do you have a perforated screen with front projector or what...?

Yes, I have a Screen Research Screen,woven and acoustically neutral ,with front pj.

Larry

ctviggen

« Reply #30 on: 1 Sep 2004, 02:00 pm »
Jim,

You make is sound as if the RM30C is a terrible design. My previous CC was the Linn 5120.  Here's a review of a Linn system that includes the 5120:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/surroundsoundpreampprocessors/43/index3.html

From my perspective, the RM30C absolutely blows away the Linn 5120.  The RM30C is in a completely different league.  Granted, having the tweeter placed at the "top" of the speaker seems strange, but I have yet to have any issues with this placement.