Blue Ray Player Image Quality - Any Difference in Your Experience?

gregcss

Phil (or anybody), have you tried the PS4 for BluRay. I'm curious to hear your opinion of where it stacks up against the Oppo's and PS3.

I am curious of the same. Any reviews of Xbox One as a bluray player are welcomed too. FWIW I have a Panasonic BD85.

Phil A

Phil (or anybody), have you tried the PS4 for BluRay. I'm curious to hear your opinion of where it stacks up against the Oppo's and PS3.

Bob - have not tried the PS4.  I had the PS3 in the old house for quite some time in the basement system with an 88 inch screen and a Sony VPLAW-15 projector, which although it was 720p could take a 1080 signal.  I needed the size (of the projector) and lens shift where I had it (I had an old 64 inch rear projector and had it sort of built into the wall and when I got rid of it I got the screen and I had run PVC into the ceiling from the unfinished part of the basement - pic below).  I have a colorimeter in addition to the Spears and Munsil disc and always thought it did not look all that good due to the projector.  One day I swapped the Oppo BDP-93 I had in the bedroom system (and put the PS3 in the bedroom and it performed a bit better on the 55 inch LED) and I quickly tweaked on the Spears and Munsil disc and ran out to meet someone for dinner.  We decided afterwards to watch a movie and we were both shocked by the difference when I put on Avatar.  I also have a Sony BDP-BX37 (same as the S370) and know someone with an S380 (so I have some experience with that model) and have it right now in my upstairs bonus room where I just swapped out the PS3 and it is really not better.  I have an old Marantz DV9600 up there and it is better on DVD (of course it can't do Blu-Ray).  I really don't need a PS4 (I have four Roku 3 boxes for internet TV in different systems) and based on what I've seen unless someone lent me one to play with, I would not really be interested in it.  I have two Oppo 103Ds, and whenever I replace the one in the main system, I'll be moving one of the Oppos (83, 93 or 103) to the Bonus Room and moving out the Sony Blu-Ray player and probably the Marantz DV-9600 (which is a wonderful CD transport but since I rarely play a physical disc I probably don't need it) out.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Good information Phil, thank you.
Extra points earned for the use of photographs too. That's an awesome room!
Bob

Phil A

Good information Phil, thank you.
Extra points earned for the use of photographs too. That's an awesome room!
Bob

Bob, thanks.  That was the old (but not the main system) room in Northern VA and it was a nice TV room.  Moved at the end of last year.  Still have multiple systems.  The speakers in that room (about 20 year old B&W P6s) are now in  secondary system (pic below) and I keep that room dark (it has one window and I have shades, then white poster board, then room darkening curtains) like a basement so I can watch TV during the day (like football season).

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Good deal Phil. Thanks again for more photos. I like the rack, the light clean color looks nice.

Phil A

Good deal Phil. Thanks again for more photos. I like the rack, the light clean color looks nice.

Bob - used that in the main system in the old place.  Decided to simplify the main system a drop in the new place (and wanted a lower rack so the screen would be lower - the old rack had 40 inch tall Salamander Syngery towers on each side) and had Klaus from Odyssey Audio build me a rack.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Wow, that room is sexy!
I love all the white, very contemporary. These images would look great in the "Show your HT pics" thread.  :wink:

Phil A

Wow, that room is sexy!
I love all the white, very contemporary. These images would look great in the "Show your HT pics" thread.  :wink:

Bob - will do.  Still swapping things around a little bit between the systems.  This is the 92 inch screen that folds into the ceiling in the Master Bedroom System

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
You have a 92" in the bedroom that folds into the ceiling!?!?  :o

:notworthy:

Phil A

You have a 92" in the bedroom that folds into the ceiling!?!?  :o

:notworthy:

Yes - posted in the show us your home theater why

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator