The Popcorn Thread

Wind Chaser

Re: The Popcorn Thread
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2014, 04:46 pm »
We are done with microwave popcorn. Reddinbacher sucks.

But it's light and fluffy!

Whirlypop
real butter and salt in the bottom while popping
more salt on top after distributing into bowls

I was going through the better part of a 1lb of butter per week and enough salt to satisfy a horse for a month. That's why I went back to microwave popcorn. Except for engevita yeast, I don't add any butter or salt.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2014, 08:56 pm »
I bought some Flavacol and some coconut oil. Should be here on Thursday.
I've got several pounds of bulb corn already, so it'll be a bit before I get fancy with the actual corn.
Looking forward to it.  :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2014, 09:21 pm »
Man - you learn something everyday here on AC!  Non GMO popcorn - seasonings I've never even heard of (Braggs Amino Acids, nutritional yeast, liquid soy, agave syrup, coconut oil, falvacol).  And here I was happy w/ run of the mill Reddenbacher "movie theater butter" microwave popcorn.  Y'all are a bad influence!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2014, 09:42 pm »
Y'all are a bad influence!
Amen Brother. We can help ya spend your money better than anybody.  :lol:

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2014, 09:59 pm »
Y'all are a bad influence!

In general, yes. But since this is the mighty healthy popcorn, and many flavoring/popping suggestions are mighty healthy too, for once we may be good influences! :thumb:

*Scotty*

« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2014, 11:02 pm »
Bob, be sure to put the Flavacol salt in with the coconut oil, that way it is evenly dispersed throughout the popcorn during popping. 
If you really like "movie" style popcorn the Flavacol and coconut oil combination is addictive.
I always thought popcorn was a "guilty pleasure" and never considered it a healthy snack unless air-popped or cooked without oil in a micro.
Scotty

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar 2014, 01:21 am »
Bob, be sure to put the Flavacol salt in with the coconut oil, that way it is evenly dispersed throughout the popcorn during popping. 
I would not have done that, so thank you for the heads-up.
I haven't read the nutrition facts of the oil or flavoring, but based on your comment it sounds like I'd be doing alright from a health perspective?

Bob

srb

« Reply #27 on: 5 Mar 2014, 01:37 am »
From a health standpoint, good-for-you oils loose their antioxidant properties when heated, in fact they can become carcinogenic when they reach their smoke point.  I most often enjoy using a hot air popper to pop the corn then spray on olive oil afterward.

For salt and flavorings, everyone has their favorite, but what can I say about Flavacol?  Enjoy your artificial flavor, FD&C Yellow #5 Lake (E102) and FD&C Yellow #6 Lake (E110).

Steve

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #28 on: 5 Mar 2014, 01:45 am »

For salt and flavorings, everyone has their favorite, but what can I say about Flavacol?  Enjoy your artificial flavor, FD&C Yellow #5 Lake (E102) and FD&C Yellow #6 Lake (E110).

Yep, also in bold letters "Contains SOY".  Which is almost 99% certainty to be GMO soy. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 5 Mar 2014, 02:04 am »
Yea, I pretty much assumed the Flavacol would be a bunch of fake garbage. No doubt. But from a healthy standpoint, I'm thinking that we aren't adding (yet another) unhealthy food to our diet, or making our snake worse by adding something more evil? As of now, we use butter and salt for the popcorn. The Flavacol and coconut oil seem like they'd be better (or "less bad"). That's my assumption, at least.

*Scotty*

« Reply #30 on: 5 Mar 2014, 02:15 am »
To be sure any very finely ground salt, minus the artificial coloring, will disperse the same way Flavacol does in oil during cooking.
If you do the research, you find out that boiling your food is about the only way to avoid potential carcinogen formation that can occur when traditional cooking methods are used.
 This does not mean I am going to give up grilled foods like steaks or fried foods such as pancakes. Everyone has to chose what they consider to be a reasonable
risk.
Scotty 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 5 Mar 2014, 02:34 am »
Yea, I think I'm good with the risks.
Although, my wife mentioned the fact that there's Oriental/Asian writing on the box, like it came from there.
She's wondering if they're using as much lead in the coloring as they do in the paint they coat the toys that go into Walmart stores.  :lol:

But I digress.....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 7 Mar 2014, 09:02 am »
From a health standpoint, good-for-you oils loose their antioxidant properties when heated, in fact they can become carcinogenic when they reach their smoke point.  I most often enjoy using a hot air popper to pop the corn then spray on olive oil afterward.

Coconut oil is one of the very, very few that won't hydrogenate at any temperature.  It's one of the healthiest possible oils you can eat.  That said, and with apologies for being a stick in the mud, popcorn is the definition of empty carbs.  I rarely touch the stuff even though I like the taste of it.  I'm creeping up on the big four-five and I simply can't eat like I'm still 15.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 7 Mar 2014, 02:28 pm »
We received our coconut oil, and Flavacol yesterday. We made a batch with the "regular, off the shelf" Jolly Time popcorn.
We both agreed it was very good, although we'll be using a bit more "Flava" next time. I used 1tsb of that with one heaping TBS of oil to just over a half cup of corn. With the same amount of corn, we would have generally used 1/4 cup of butter and a TBS of canola oil. So to say that last night popcorn tasted "drier", is an understatement. However it "felt" much more healthy but was surprisingly flavorful (or should I say, "flavaful":lol:

Suffice it to say that I firmly believe the days of canola oil and butter are behind us.
This stuff is a keeper. But of course that doesn't mean we won't continue to experiment.

Bob

*Scotty*

« Reply #34 on: 7 Mar 2014, 02:55 pm »
Bob,glad you liked the combination. You may have to up the coconut oil a little bit if you add more Flavacol. Experimentation is the order of the day.
Scotty

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 7 Mar 2014, 03:52 pm »
That's understandable. The hardest part, is that the coconut oil is a solid. Fairly hard to scoop out measured amounts, so that will be more of a "feel" than an exact measurement. I think I read somewhere that coconut oil is a solid below 76 degrees. Being in my basement, it'll surely never be over that.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #36 on: 7 Mar 2014, 04:42 pm »
I get my coconut oil from Trader Joe's. It comes in a glass jar with a metal lid. I take off the lid and place the jar in the microwave. Depending on how full the jar is, it takes anywhere from 25 sec. to 1 min. to liquefy the oil. Don't be afraid to use more oil than what you're using now. I use at least double to what you are using.

mcgsxr

« Reply #37 on: 7 Mar 2014, 04:47 pm »
This thread makes me laugh.

My wife loves movie theater popcorn, and when she was pregnant I would drive to the theater and buy it, and then bring it home to her.

A couple of times per year I will still do that (no, not the pregnancy part!), as she and my daughters do still love it.

While it hurts to drive there and drop $10 on the popcorn, I know I am saving $60 vs taking them all to a movie!

Long live the basement HT!

2bigears

« Reply #38 on: 7 Mar 2014, 06:15 pm »
 :D  popcorn is truly heaven sent. and you guys talking about coconut oil,,,,  your heart is listening ....ha    :D

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #39 on: 7 Mar 2014, 06:32 pm »
I use olive oil. I fill the bottom of the pot until it is covered. then add enough popcorn to have the lid lift a half inch when done. I use half yellow half white popcorn bulk from the natural foods coop.
When it is popped I dump then salt. Then melt about 1/4 stick of butter in hot pot. add some milder cayenne pepper, and cover the results with a layer of 'good tasting yeast'.
Salt before butter is milder salt taste. after butter tangy salt taste.

Good. I usually eat half. then save the rest for handful snacking.
I have a ton of Olive  oil, or I would try the coconut oil.